Lost One Today

Walter swanston

I lost a young pigeon today to a crow,I encourage crows around here because they mob sparrowhawks and chase them but they occasionally take a young bird during the vital day or so when the young birds have emerged from the loft but cannot fly properly and that is what happened this morning.So hawks are not the only predator and they are much brighter than hawks and more difficult to deter.

had to close up one year through crows can be worse than hawks if they are nesting near, its the carrion crow they take the heads of the birds trying to carry them away , and yes they will enter the loft, and its not just young birds they rake , they take the old ones as well

ive had the same trouble but with magpies nesting in a tree close buy ,they where very cunning in ambushing not just my old birds but my young as well, they would catch them by the wing or tail and drag them down to the guttering and peck at the eyes and head of the pigeon,but I got very cunning too, and they don't do it anymore.

Crows have killed 3 in the last few weeks at the compound

you can apply for a license for a larsen trap to legally trap crows from your local police office they give you an official number to affix to the trap and you must follow certain rules as to use.. I keep poultry as well as doos and had hoodies taking chicks and ducklings. However they do chase hawks and i encourage the odd pair as on balance they do me more good than harm .If they pestered doos the trap would be back oot. A few weeks ago i saw a pair attacking a bonxie which was chewing a lamb in the park next to the loft and they fairly hammered into it. They won't tolerate sparrow hawks on their patch

Same here,

ive had the same trouble but with magpies nesting in a tree close buy ,they where very cunning in ambushing not just my old birds but my young as well, they would catch them by the wing or tail and drag them down to the guttering and peck at the eyes and head of the pigeon,but I got very cunning too, and they don't do it anymore.

Is a bonxie a hoodie?

you can apply for a license for a larsen trap to legally trap crows from your local police office they give you an official number to affix to the trap and you must follow certain rules as to use.. I keep poultry as well as doos and had hoodies taking chicks and ducklings. However they do chase hawks and i encourage the odd pair as on balance they do me more good than harm .If they pestered doos the trap would be back oot. A few weeks ago i saw a pair attacking a bonxie which was chewing a lamb in the park next to the loft and they fairly hammered into it. They won't tolerate sparrow hawks on their patch

I have had the same probs, had a crow go through my trap after the youngsters couple weeks back, luckily I had the sliding door pulled shut preventing carnage, I can confirm the crow wont come back again as it got a fright!!

John

how did yee tell the craw fae yir doos loon :emoticon-0136-giggle: