The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

Last Saturday the Margaret and I went up to Arbroath taking some youngsters up to Kevin on arrival he informed us that the federation birds had been released at 11.00 into a north east wind at Ridsdale. This was the same race point as last week so Kevin expected the leaders about 14-00 hours. After spending some time looking at the birds the 3 of us settled down to watch for the race birds. It was a lovely sunny day however it was a cold wind so we sat with our backs to the little loft and watched the sky. Something caught Kevin’s eye and he stood up and looked at the loft and low and behold there was a bird on the aviary. This was his pet little white tailed hen and she was coming towards him so he hurried into the loft and she came through the traps to be clocked. As he was in with the hen another 2 birds came over the house and dropped onto the aviary and were timed in. We left prior to Kevin going with the clock but he phoned at night to say he took the first 3 places in the club with his ‘White Tail’ hen winning the race with a velocity of 1059. This hen was a late bred from my stock loft and was only trained the year of her birth, and then last year she had 5 races to Leicester. Her sire is known as ‘Mystical Joe’ a mealy cock bred by my good friend Sheldon Leonard from his Daniel Aerens bloodlines. Sire is De Barron a son of 1st National Orange when he was mated to My Dream a full sister to ‘I Had A Dream winner of 1st international Hens 5th international Barcelona. The dam of White Tail is a hen I purchased direct from Bernard Deweerdt on my visit to his loft. Her sire is a son of Champion Ted while her dam is from a brother to Iban when mated to a daughter of Kedir the very best of Bernard’s distance lines. The second pigeon is a 3 year old blue hen a half-sister to ‘Lucky’ ‘Lucky’ our 4 times inland national winning hen her sire was a direct Leo Van Rijn grizzle cock while the dam is ‘Jenny’ another Van Rijn bred by Adrian Duggen. The 3rd placed pigeon is a 2 year old chequer white flight cock that was hawked in 2016 and not raced again that season. His sire is a son of Rocket our 7 times SNFC prize winner when he was mated to our 4th open SNFC Alencon winner at 573 miles. The chequer white flights dam was also a daughter of Rocket when he was mated to a hen who won 310th open SNFC Marlborough she is a granddaughter of Petite Rose winner of 1st SNFC Tours 611 miles for Tom & Scott McEwen of Elphinstone. When I phoned Kevin at night he was only waiting on 2 birds so he was a happy young man.

Ayrshire Federation

News from Archie McIntyre the federation race secretary who writes; ‘Hi Joe,

Ayrshire Federation was at Dunbar on the 29th April for their 2nd race of the season. Jim O’Hare our race controller had the convoy of 1,685 birds off and running at 08-00 into a light south east wind for the journey of 75 miles to 95 miles over the Federation. Leading the convoy this week and doing it in style, is the partnership of John & Robbie Bryson of Galston, flying in the Darvel club. The partnership timed 4 birds in 16 sec for a distance of 78 miles to take 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th federation with velocities of 1338.4, 1337.3, 1335.4 and 1335.0. The partnership has their birds flying on the roundabout system and they certainly have them going well. From Arniston the previous week’s federation race, this partnership had another great race recording 4th, 6th and 8th fed from a convoy 1,386 birds. Leading the pack taking 1st federation is John & Robbie fine looking 2 year old chequer cock his sire was bred by their good friend Tom Smith of West Kilbride who himself had a great race from Dunbar taking 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th federation; the dam being bred by Alan Richardson of Whitby. The 2nd federation winner for the Bryson partnership is a yearling chequer cock his sire is a grandson of De Vincent and his dam comes from Tam Blair of Stirling. The 3rd federation bird is a 2 year old chequer pied hen and her sire and dam are both bred down through Tam McQuire of Larkhall bloodlines.

1st Fed Dunbar

post-849-14951066434958_thumb.jpg

2nd Fed Dunbar

post-849-14951071926402_thumb.jpg

3rd Fed Dunbar

post-849-14951072416272_thumb.jpg

In and around Ayrshire clubs starting with the

North Section:

In and around the Clubs starting with the North Section (754 birds)

Dalry (346 birds) T Smith 1st 1306.5, 2nd 1306.3, 3rd 1306.2

Ardeer (302 birds) J Simpson 1st 1322, 2nd 1319, 3rd 1307

Kilwinning (106 birds) J McNeil 1st 1214, 2nd 1206, 3rd 1202

Central Section (422 birds)

Irvine (127 birds) 1st H Pollock 1300, 2nd E Diamond 1269, 3rd R McFedries 1253

Crosshouse (85 birds) I Noble 1st 1283, 2nd 1261, 3rd 1255

Kilmarnock (91 birds) J Bunce 1st & 3rd 1286, 1240, 2nd J & K & K McKerrow 1261

Darvel (119 birds) J & R Bryson 1st 1338, 2nd 1337, 3rd 1335

South Section (509 birds)

Mauchline (76 birds) 1st Mr & Mrs Galloway 1132, 2nd J Watters 962, 3rd E Stewart 947

Cumnock (20 birds) J Caldwell 1st 904, 2nd 341, 3rd 339

Dalmellington (60 birds) S Boyce 1st & 2nd 1204, 945, 3rd G Mitchell 925

Carrick (100 birds) 1st J Cannon 1203, 2nd Jamieson & Cannon 1117

Annbank (134 birds) B Lenachan 1st & 2nd 1248, 1090, 3rd D Paterson 1086.

Whitletts (119 birds) Mr & Mrs Gemmell 1st & 2nd 1177, 1128, 3rd W Lawrence 1085

I would like to thank the partnership of J & R Bryson for the photos and information for their top 3 winning birds; cheers Joe’

Almond Valley Federation

Balerno club news from Colin Bain who writes; ‘Hi Joe the Balerno were at Catterick on the 6th May with 11 members sending 200 birds these were liberated into a north east wind at midday. The 1st 2nd & 4th places are won by yours truly Colin Bain with a dark chequer pied cock feeding a 14 day old young bird and looking at his hen he was doing a velocity of 1230. He is one out of the stock loft of McCann crossed Bain and his sire is the grandsire of my SNFC Silver Award winner. The 2nd club winner on 1220 is a blue yearling cock Staff Van Reet with 3rd place going to G & J Fairly with a 4 year old blue pied hen on 1209 she is a Busschaert crossed Staff Van Reet and was 1st club 2nd Almond Valley federation last week her young bird was taken away before she was sent to the race. The 4th club winner is a 3 year old black hen sitting on a 2 day old young bird she was doing a velocity of 1193, she is from the Robert Cormack bloodlines. It was a funny race this week Joe with big gaps in the returns and some birds not coming home till next morning; that is it for this week hope you are both well best wishes Colin’.

East Calder RPC news from Jimmy Young who writes ‘Hi Joe I`m sorry I am a wee bit late but I`ve been trying to get details of last weeks federation topper for you, but no such luck as the winner does not wish any publicity so what can I do. (Jimmy you have done your best so do not worry about it Joe M) East Calder members sent 201 birds to Catterick with a 12 noon liberation I`ve managed the red card this week with a velocity of 1222. This cock was given to me by Fred Jamieson and is out of the Main Man cock of Galaxy Lofts when paired to a Van Loon hen also from Galaxy, Fred has a hen the same way bred which has won several times on the road proving good pigeons WIN. 2nd club is R Anderson on 1216 with Freddie Jamieson & son in third place on a velocity of 1211.

Almond Valley Federation was at Otterburn on Saturday 29nd April with the convoy of 1958 birds liberated at 07-30 hours. Taking the top spot is George Harris of Forth & Clyde with G J Fairley of Balerno in 2nd place Vic Couper of Forth & Clyde is 3rd with T Gavin of Armadale in 4th spot. L MacDuff of Forth & Clyde is 5t followed by Colin Ross of Balerno with I McLelland of Forth & Clyde in 7th place. S Fleming of Armadale is 8th with Forth & Clyde members Mr & Mrs Conlin just ahead of B & D Halliday who makes up the top ten.

Club winners;

Armadale 565 birds; 1st T Gavin; 2nd S Fleming; 3rd J Burnside

Balerno 289 birds; 1st G J Fairley 2nd C Ross 3rd C Bain

Carnwath 254 birds; 1st Thomson Brothers 2nd & 3rd E & R McLean

East Calder 208 birds; 1st F Jamieson & son 2nd & 3rd John Jamieson

Forth & Clyde 440 birds; 1st G Harris 2nd Vic Couper; 3rd L MacDuff

West Calder 203 birds; 1st to 3rd John Bird 2nd J McGinty

My thanks to Jimmy Young for the results

East of Scotland Federation news from John Baillie with the federation race from Ripon with the birds released at 12-30 into an East to North East wind. Taking the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 9th open positions is John Bird of Prestonpans which is great flying. In the 3rd position we have Graham Wardhaugh of Dirleton with yours truly John Baillie of Tranent in 5th place. Tom Waddell of Prestonpans takes 7th open, with Tam Hunnam of Port Seton in 8th position with Keith Howie of Prestonpans taking the 10th open position.

Prestonpans Homing Club this week we have John Bird taking the clean sweep of the first three positions. Taking the 1st position is a yearling Vandenabeele cock purchased from Bryan Shipley of Woodside Lofts; this is from the Golden Gaby & Shadow lines. A pied yearling hen takes the 2nd position. This was bought at a Pentland Breeder/Buyer sale and was bred by S Gilchrist Edinburgh. This hen scored in the young bird national winning 161st open. In 3rd place is John's Mr Reliable already scoring 9th open this year, with multiple federation and SNFC national tickets. We would like to thank the donors from out-with the club who donated birds for our club sale and to all the purchasers that made it a very successful evening many thanks once again Joe yours in sport John B’.

Fife Federation

Dunfermline LRPS news from David Kennedy who writes ‘We had 8 members sending 202 birds; as you will be aware our convoy were brought back to Berwick for our 3rd race of the season. Completing a hat-trick of clean sweeps is Frank Mitchell with his 1st bird this week winning with a velocity of 1356 ypm. This was a yearling hen on roundabout and she was bred by Andrew Lawley from Elson from his M & D Evans bloodlines. The 2nd placed bird with a velocity of 1330 ypm was a 6 year old Janssen hen on roundabout bred by Wattie Sharp from Oakley as a matter of interest, this bird won 8th open Roye in 2016 with the SNFC. The 3rd bird with a velocity of 1320 ypm was a 3 year old cock on roundabout from his Jock Trail family of pigeons. A BIG well done to Frank on his 3rd clean sweep of the new season; this week’s nomination was won by Andy Ritchie and the 2 bird prize was won by Eddie McWilliams well that’s it for another week Joe yours in sport David Kennedy’.

Glenrothes & Leslie RPC news from Rosie Armit who writes ‘Hi Joe, we were racing from Alnwick with the winner Mick McMurchie on a velocity of 1518 he timed a 3 year old blue chequer widowhood cock. His sire is a Marcel Aelbrecht and his dam is a Franz Sablon. The next 2 places are won by Brian Kinnear with velocities of 1508 and 1500 his first bird is a 2 year old chequer cock an inbred grandson from his dark hen who won 1st section C, 4th open SNFC Ancenis in 2013 she was also 1st section C 22nd open SNFC Ancenis in 2014. As a yearling last year this chequer cock won 2nd club, 7th Fife federation 23rd section C and 72nd open SNFC Roye. Brian’s 3rd club winner is a 2 year old blue white flight cock, his sire is a grandson of Stitchy and his dam won 2nd open Fife federation Wakefield, 4th federation 4th section C 30th open SNFC Buckingham in 2014. She was bred from a son of Blue Flash from R & A Evans, Gibbon, Smith of Sunderland (top racers and breeders), when mated to the last daughter of Stitchy and both cocks are flown on Roundabout. That’s it for another week hope you are both keeping well yours Rosie’.

Pentland Hills Federation

News from Andy Miller who writes ‘Hi Joe the federation had 13 clubs sending 3530 birds to the 4th race of the old bird season from Ripon on Saturday the 6th of May. With a later liberation time of 12-30 hours from the normal early as possible due to low cloud at the race point. The end result was fine regarding returns, although the leaders were gappy to start with due to the birds taking their time to clear the liberation site. However there has to be a winner, and Stuart Gilchrist one of the furthest flying lofts in the federation wins 1st federation and New Lothian timing a 2 year old widowhood cock bred by Brian Chalmers from Kennoway, from his Willie Jacobs stock. The pigeon which was all pools in the New Lothian is a previous winner of 11th federation from Newark last season and also won minor prizes as a youngster. 2nd federation is A W Roberson of Danderhall with club mates Willie Kinnear & son Barry in 3rd 6th 8th & 10th open. Owenson Brothers of the same Danderhall club are 4th with Willie Pryde & son John of Easthouses in 5th & 7th open with J Roberson of New Lothian making up the top ten winning 9th federation.

New Lothian RPC had 66 lofts sending 1894 birds to Ripon flown on the 6th May liberated at 12-30 into an East to North East wind. Winning with an all is S Gilchrist of Edinburgh Premier club who wins £469. Second is A W Roberson of Danderhall with his club mates Willie Kinnear & son who are 3rd 6th 8th & 10th. Owenson Brothers of the same Danderhall club are 4th open with W Pryde & Son of Easthouses are in 5th & 7th positions with J Roberson of New Lothian making the top ten in 9th place.

Club Winners are as follows;

Edinburgh Premier 270 birds Gilchrist 1273 Gilchrist 1195.8 Gilchrist 1195.3

Danderhall 616 birds A.W. Robertson 1263.09 Kinnear 1263.04 Owenson 1258

Easthouses 484 birds W. Pryde & Son 1258 W. Pryde & Son 1257 Milne 1172

Edinburgh West 201 birds Lamb 1180 McLaughlin 1149 Lamb 1135

Castlebrae 99 birds McCormack & Fraser 1174 Willis 1173 L. Mitchell 1145

Sighthill 181 birds Girdwood 1167 Summers 1161 Keenan 1160

Woodburn 164 birds Brown & Black 1161 Allen 1160 Allen 1142

Loanhead 196 birds Simpson 1145 Anderson 1144 Cherrie 1138

Bonnyrigg 223 birds Mercer 1139 Russell 1124 J. Dewar 1110

Rosewell 105 birds Power 1137 Power 1118 Power 1032

Peebles 65 birds Raeburn 975 Raeburn 913 Bissett 840

New Lothian 82 birds

Traprain 565 birds Thomson 1179 Thomson 1177 Thomson 1177

Others 50 birds

Lanarkshire Federation

Cambusnethan & Morningside news from Andrew Eadie who writes ‘Our club were racing from Ingleton on Saturday the 6th of May with 5137 birds competing these were liberated at 08-00 am into a brisk East to North East wind with the birds clearing the race point well. We had 25 members sending 685 birds and taking the 1st, 2nd & 5th club positions and 2nd & 3rd section plus 27th open from over 5000 birds is Tony McGinn who lives in the nearby village of Cleland. His first bird is a yearling cock from his Jan Aarden cross. Tony’s 2nd bird is a 3 year old pure Walter Docx a gift from his very good friend Robert Wilson and both race on the Buckfast Widowhood system. 3rd club 4th section is Jackie & Kevin Miller timing a yearling Sablon hen who is raced on the roundabout system. Finally my partner in crime in 4th place 6st section is John Lawrie & son with a 2 year old cock also raced on roundabout. Keep up your great People Service principles Joe it’s fantastic to see you going that Extra Mile as usual. We blew it this week and while doing my garden yesterday the next door neighbour came up and asked what I do with my birds dropping’s (sh-te) and he got a straight answer ‘I Race It’. Take care you are doing a grand job and the boys from the club love the banter in the Joe Murphy Column yours Andy’.

Tony McGinn

post-849-14951065184792_thumb.jpg

North of Scotland Federation

George Duthie has forwarded the federation result to me. From Thornton on 6th May 79 members entered 1979 birds liberated at 09-00 hours into a light north east wind. Margaret and I went round to see the liberation prior to going up to Arbroath. It was a lovely sunny morning with visibility as clear as a bell and you could see for miles. The birds were all away within 3 minutes of release and it was a perfect liberation. I was quite surprised when George told me that they did not have sun and it was overcast most of the day but more importantly everyone experience losses. Which to me was very strange as this was a better liberation than last weeks from Thornton when the federation winner was doing 1700 ypm. Topping the federation and east section is Stuart Maskame of Peterhead & District with a velocity of 1152. 2nd 3rd & 4th are Jim & Ann Donaldson of the same club with club mate G Findlay taking the next 2 positions for 5th 6th & 9th open with R Barclay of Fraserburgh West End is 7th position just ahead of club mate Robbie Higgins who wins 8th place. 10th section and open is A W Buchan of Fraserburgh & District won 1105 velocity.

West Section had 44 members sending 949 birds; taking 1st west section 33rd open is R Richards of Elgin & District on a velocity of 1069. In 2nd section 34th open is Fulton & Ritchie partnership of Devern Valley with club mate A MacGillivray winning 3rd section 35th open. Staying with Devern Valley club A Wilson takes the next 2 section places for 4th & 5th positions and is also 37th & 38th open. J Abel of the same club is 6th section 39th open with club mates A Milne winning 7th 9th & 10th west section 40th 42nd & 43rd open places. G R Duncan of Keith wins 8th west section 41st open.

Club Winners;

Peterhead & District winner is S Maskame;

Fraserburgh West End winner is R Barclay;

Fraserburgh & District winner is A W Buchan;

Inverurie winner is J S Robertson;

Elgin & District winner is R Richards;

Devern Valley winner is Fulton & Ritchie;

Keith winner is G R Duncan;

Buckie & District winner is J Cumming;

Forres, Nairn & Inverness winner is S Taylor.

Received news from Martyn Brown of Bo’ness club who wrote ‘Hi Joe I meant to email you a few weeks ago but completely forgot so my apologies. I would like to express thanks from myself and the member of Bo'ness homing society, for including information and reminders about the breeder buyer sale. The sale was a huge success in its first year, raising over £2000 so wish all the purchasers all the best with these youngsters and I hope to send you a result later in the year. Thanks once again for all your help Joe yours Martyn’.

The Callaghan Family

Received a letter from Eddie Callaghan of Fauldhouse who wrote ‘Dear Joe please find attached photograph of my grandson Jamie Meek who organised this show and other fund raising events in memory of his mother Marie. Jamie donated a cheque to Brain Tumour Research for £15.000; thus bringing up the total for 3 years to £38.000. We have been doing this charity work for 10 years Joe since I lost my 6 year old granddaughter with cancer and the last 10 years we have donated £67.000 to the Sick Kids unit. We generally use the same singers and I use for the old age pensioners show and that brings the total raised to £140.000. I would like to say a big THANK YOU to the singers and my many friends who have supported us over these years yours Eddie Callaghan’. What a wonderful achievement Eddie and his family had done and they are without doubt a credit to not only our pigeon sport but the human race. God Bless you all….

Young Bird Sickness

Received an email from Phil Gardner of Respiro San Dry who wrote ‘Hello Joe I hope this email finds you, and your family and your lofts all fit and in Good Health. I just wanted to give you a quick 2017 update on Trident 3in1, I now have had to get my wife involved in getting all the orders processed and to the Post Office, which is really crazy. It is really embarrassing standing at the counter with 2 big bags packed with 40 to 50 jiffy bags of Trident to send out to fanciers struggling with Young Bird Sickness but when you tell those queuing behind you it is for people whose racing pigeons are poorly, they all say "Oh no don't worry it is OK and we hope they get better soon". Pigeon racing still has many friends within the general public. I am really pleased with what the advert in BHW has brought in but I cannot believe the level of business we are receiving from last year’s customers and word of mouth orders from pigeon racers (like yourself) who have recommended Trident 3in1. To be honest, initially I didn't really realise that young bird sickness was such a big and diverse problem within the sport and it was only when researching and get into the Trident trials that the severity of the problem came home. I feel confident we have the upper hand at present but cannot relax our guard as some other nasty or strain could be round the corner. Keep up your good work and I enjoy your article in the weekly BHW best regards Phil Gardner’.

Joe’s Joke

TOO FUNNY NOT TO PASS ON!!

How Do Court Reporters Keep Straight Faces? These are from a book called Disorder in the Courts and are things people actually said in court, word for word, taken down and published by court reporters that had the torment of staying calm while the exchanges were taking place.

ATTORNEY: How was your first marriage terminated?

WITNESS: By death...

ATTORNEY: And by whose death was it terminated?

WITNESS: Take a guess.

ATTORNEY: She had three children, right?

WITNESS: Yes.

ATTORNEY: How many were boys?

WITNESS: None.

ATTORNEY: Were there any girls?

WITNESS: Your Honour, I think I need a different attorney. Can I get a new attorney?

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy