Roof Sitters

Hi a new question and it bugs me how do you get the pigeons to keep flying and not sitting on neighbours roof? like it's a party there also I have lots that respond to my whistle to come home but some just ignore me and sit there nearly 30mins before they decide to come home grrr lol any advice I would be greatful.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi a new question and it bugs me how do you get the pigeons to keep flying and not sitting on neighbours roof? like it's a party there also I have lots that respond to my whistle to come home but some just ignore me and sit there nearly 30mins before they decide to come home grrr lol any advice I would be greatful.

Birds are not hungry enough

As james said, cut the feeding down or even nothing for a Day they will get the message soon enough.

Well I have a 10oz jug I feed that twice a day so looks like cutting it down but I still have 2 babies in nest hope they won't starve, I'm slowing down on the breeding as preparing for yb racing.

Guest mambo

It's my neighbours roof though need to ask if it's ok to shoo them from there

Get your self a 3foot 15mm copper pipe and a small pale of putty then use as a blow pipe soon gets them up in the air

It's a catch 22 situations if you feed them to little they

Will want down for food so won't fly , and if you give

Them to much they won't come in ,you have to find a

Happy medium.also if you chase them (as mine they

Just move to a house further down the street).

Gulkie is right, its about getting a happy medium, fat and unhealthy birds wont fly, but neither will birds that are hungry. Being a novice my advice to u would be to feed a 60/40, sport mix/barley and feed a little at a time until they leave the barley.

Guest johnhunter

Get your self a 3foot 15mm copper pipe and a small pale of putty then use as a blow pipe soon gets them up in the air

you would be cheaper with dried peas LOL

Gulkie is right, its about getting a happy medium, fat and unhealthy birds wont fly, but neither will birds that are hungry. Being a novice my advice to u would be to feed a 60/40, sport mix/barley and feed a little at a time until they leave the barley.

What food mix would that be I'm using all rounder at moment as got young and old together until I get my other 2 section loft put up, it's just annoying when they sit on the roof for ages, I see my other pigeon fancier not far from me, he manages fine with flying but I'm still learning

Get yourself a whistle and dont let your birds out for a couple days because what you have to do is blow the whistle when you feed them whether its once or ten times a day just blow the whistle while you feed them. DONT blow the whistle if you are not going to feed them and after a couple of days your birds will recognise the sound and expect to be fed. Get a set of scales and give your birds no more than 28 grams per bird per day of feed it aint a lot but its all they need..I weigh all my daily feed into a bucket and when its empty its empty and they get no more till the next day,, Throwing balls or any kind of missile onto somebodies roof can get you into trouble and that is the last thing you want. Best of luck and enjoy you sport..

Get yourself a whistle and dont let your birds out for a couple days because what you have to do is blow the whistle when you feed them whether its once or ten times a day just blow the whistle while you feed them. DONT blow the whistle if you are not going to feed them and after a couple of days your birds will recognise the sound and expect to be fed. Get a set of scales and give your birds no more than 28 grams per bird per day of feed it aint a lot but its all they need..I weigh all my daily feed into a bucket and when its empty its empty and they get no more till the next day,, Throwing balls or any kind of missile onto somebodies roof can get you into trouble and that is the last thing you want. Best of luck and enjoy you sport..

Thanks for that great advice I do have a whistle as I can't whistle myself hehe so it's a bit of maths for the food amount my jug got oz so need to work out 28g for 30 birds

Thanks for that great advice I do have a whistle as I can't whistle myself hehe so it's a bit of maths for the food amount my jug got oz so need to work out 28g for 30 birds

The difference between Liquid ounce and 28 grams is miniscule so 30 birds will not be far from the mark at 30 Ounces on your jug.