Roof Sitters

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Control aye, but don't chase them or they'll go to another roof further away.

Never let them sitting on a roof close to the loft Derek.......you should see me when the youngsters first get on the wing.....I'm like a demented ball boy at Wimbledon. If I can move them I will. Overfed babies will take the p*ss so the guys are quite correct with the feeding issue

Guest mambo

10 oz morning 20 oz evening would be what I would do.

Is it not 10 grams each. and 20 grams evening peter 300 grams morning, and 600 grams for 30 birds not ounces

Is it not 10 grams each. and 20 grams evening peter 300 grams morning, and 600 grams for 30 birds not ounces

The lad is working on Liquid Ounces for 30 birds so its 30 Ounces divided into 2 feeds all works out.. I personally use Grams with good electronic scales as their is no accuracy in Oz's, or Lbs especially if you require a precise measurement..

The lad is working on Liquid Ounces for 30 birds so its 30 Ounces divided into 2 feeds all works out.. I personally use Grams with good electronic scales as their is no accuracy in Oz's, or Lbs especially if you require a precise measurement..

Handfuls now that's a unit of measurement

Lol well my jug got oz and litres printed on it and it's easier for me to carry jug of food for them but the measurements suits the doos as they coming home with the whistle but I have to experiment as if starving they come back too early and hanging around and if too much they sit out longer so have to balance it out.

It was why i said fella go with a 60% sport mixture with 40% barley, feed a little at a time until they start to leave the barley. Theyll fly the skies out, but be keen to get back in aswell.

What kind of mix is that, is it a racing mix and add barley to it? I'm using all round at moment but can change it

Guest mambo

Peter I know you are old school, we know the measure, sorry to draw you down peter you have given the guy wise advice

It was why i said fella go with a 60% sport mixture with 40% barley, feed a little at a time until they start to leave the barley. Theyll fly the skies out, but be keen to get back in aswell.

I got the race mix and barley so how much I put in the jug for 30 doos?

Guest mambo

I got the race mix and barley so how much I put in the jug for 30 doos?

Get a pail and a 8 oz pea can,put 6 cans of barley in the pale the 4 cans of your mix in stir it up give 1 can in morning, and 3 cans at night.see how you get on with that

• 2 weeks later...

Still have lazy doos think I need to training toss them to get their mental state to fly, as when I cut their food they are starving pecking the ground and I feed them they dive in and if I feed more they get fat or lazy won't bother with flying so I think it's time to basket them and take a wee bit out at a time until reaches about 50miles away hopefully they will be fit by then.

There are a lot of excellent fanciers in the Broch who could help you with information.Get yourself organised with a few loft visits or get them to come to your loft to see your birds,i'm sure some of your club members would help.

Can't see a problem ... unless the neighbours complain .... but then they are probably easier to train than the birds lol :emoticon-0136-giggle:

You will see, and the pigeons will certainly tell you more roofer etc. than you will ever see in the loft / handling etc.

OK the dropping under the perch/ best boxes give an indicator of the condition when dropping. But then every time of day will produce a different dropping. JMO.

Everyone to their own

If I have a bird that wont come in it gets shut out for the night

When I let it in next day it does not get fed

let it back out at night with others it should then respond immediately when called

If not Bin

Pigeons that have bad habit teach others the same bad habit

But the biggest bad habit is fanciers allowing it to happen

Get yourself a whistle and dont let your birds out for a couple days because what you have to do is blow the whistle when you feed them whether its once or ten times a day just blow the whistle while you feed them. DONT blow the whistle if you are not going to feed them and after a couple of days your birds will recognise the sound and expect to be fed. Get a set of scales and give your birds no more than 28 grams per bird per day of feed it aint a lot but its all they need..I weigh all my daily feed into a bucket and when its empty its empty and they get no more till the next day,, Throwing balls or any kind of missile onto somebodies roof can get you into trouble and that is the last thing you want. Best of luck and enjoy you sport..

How much is 28 grams in ounces ?

Mine are not eating a lot, today 34 birds have only had 28/30 ounces and are not flying as much as I would like. They are only doing 10 minutes or so with no oomph as they fly. My first channel race this week and have been trying to build them up adding maize and peanuts to the regular feed.

Usually on an ounce and a quarter over the day and they fly well for 20 minutes plus at am and pm exercise which I am happy with as they then have free time around the loft.

Having said that they are eating less than usual they are not responding to my calls when feeding in and are also landing on the house roof which I have tried to discourage and until this year has worked.