Thin Baby

Hi guys wonder if you could help I have 2 babies in nest both about 10 days old but 1 is small and thin I am worried about it but the other is fine and growing well, it's just I was going to ring her but thin looks like won't make it. I wonder if it's young bird sickness?

Any advice I would be happy.

Thanks

i wouldnt label it as sickness . more "natures way" of selection , the strongest survive . do you have plenty of food in front of the parents ? i would be a little concerned if your ringing them at 10 days ??

Lack of food would be my thoughts Andy, pigeons are good feeders but should have food in front of them at all times when rearing youngsters

Thanks guys, I always put food twice a day I think it's just 1 weak baby and what age is best for ringing then?

I start looking by day 5, but by day 7 i expect the young birds to be rung, any day after that and the legs should be too big to get a ring on.

Thanks guys

Right the latest is 1 is strong and feeding well and been rung, I had to intervene and take the weak baby and feed her ourself using turkey baser and soft food, I don't have the heart to kill it. So at moment it's in a box with warm cloths and being fed often hopefully it pulls through.

Guest johnhunter

I start looking by day 5, but by day 7 i expect the young birds to be rung, any day after that and the legs should be too big to get a ring on.

they must be some birds you have

Right the latest is 1 is strong and feeding well and been rung, I had to intervene and take the weak baby and feed her ourself using turkey baser and soft food, I don't have the heart to kill it. So at moment it's in a box with warm cloths and being fed often hopefully it pulls through.

Sorry lad but you are just giving your self a lot of bother for in most cases poor out come ,doos is a hard game with out weaklings to hold you back been there ,this year i am clearing out everthing racing if i have nothing left so be it sh--e doos are sh--e doos nae matter how you cosset them.

Sorry lad but you are just giving your self a lot of bother for in most cases poor out come ,doos is a hard game with out weaklings to hold you back been there ,this year i am clearing out everthing racing if i have nothing left so be it sh--e doos are sh--e doos nae matter how you cosset them.

Phil there is also sht fanceirs I have been not been flying to the standards I set myself previously but at no time would I blame my doos it was just down to me being lazy but I aim to try a bit harder this year and only my results will tell me if am sht or not. This is not a dig at you I believe we all have got some good doos its how we manage them to get the best out of them that's the secret and that down to the fancier.

Phil there is also sht fanceirs I have been not been flying to the standards I set myself previously but at no time would I blame my doos it was just down to me being lazy but I aim to try a bit harder this year and only my results will tell me if am sht or not. This is not a dig at you I believe we all have got some good doos its how we manage them to get the best out of them that's the secret and that down to the fancier.

I agree with this, I do have a good healthy lot but nature just selects some to be weak and I always go by survival of the fittest, the baby I got has passed away but the rest of my babies are doing fine.

Amen Mr Higgins :emoticon-0137-clapping:

You need doos that home if you are feeding well and and caring for pigeons and paying attention to their well being and health it is up to the bird ,if a bird does not have the homing abillity in it, it will not improve regardless what you do becaause it wont be in the dookit after a race ,now why is it most fanciers go the length of the country for new stock of whats winning yer nae going to buy the fancier ,no yer buying the homing or speed in homing gene that is passed on IMO ( this could be a good thread ) and no i do not take offence .