Whats The Chances ?

andy Burgess

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As often posted. When first starting up, for 4 years I never tossed youngsters... Gosh! When winning etc. club members made all sort of excuses ... the best one being My birds showed yours the way home'! Couldn't answer though 'How come mine are 5 or ten minutes home before yours'?

Very many never ever trained birds back and in the 50's 60's. hey couldn't afford the 2/- 3/6 train fares. But they flew the programs both old birds and y/b's alike every season.

Also as old birds, teams of 12 racers or so gad to use the races for the 'Race they were really interested in winning. Most the long distance. Hence 'Berwick for Lerwick' etc.

AND MOST had to remove birds AS SEASON'S END to make room for the youngsters wanting a nest box!

No one didn't add more nest boxes, but cut down on birds.

Fanciers have a lot to be held up for ... Not least in keep comparing birds and animals as to what human's would want or accept.

Gosh we can't get our heads around how they home. They have proved many 'Firm adages are false and rubbish. NOT least the 'Breaking point farce!

Only thing we need to know, in all honesty is 'Only healthy and fit birds WIN ...!

Many train around the clock. Indeed far more - me included if I need to train, send them any where I happen to be going!

another has arrived in the last 10 minutes , just waiting on one now ?

exactly what I said Andy, they will work in because of the volume of birds around you but most wont win at this stage.

Aye our ybs flew 210 mls bar 2 awe our yearlings must fly thy the longest fed inland race tae Stuart but they have only had 1 toss fae 16 mls this year and all bar 1 are at the 1st race pal...

Yours will be spot on if they are flying well at home

I think Delboy you are looking for reasons / excuses of why if successful.

I'm 12 - 20 miles of the beaten drag in my Club ... Still first time in basket as late bred (Flown obviously in O/B) or yearlings. I'd only get beat by the odd yard via those send in the main ... 3 lofts alone in a square 100 yards send 150 to 200 birds alone. So, for me, that drag scenario is blown out the water.

the other has homed too, not many birds about now though ??

Well done.

You know, if one only then sends them to the races, they rest more and stay fresher.

they prove whether they have homing ability in the loft. then it is really just a case of miles under wings that count. Whetehr up the road, or around the loft - Widowerhoods seldom get trained.

Indeed Gary Edmunds- the best fancier I have ever met - left his cock birds LAZ in the garden. On the lawn for yonks, wings out stretched and you had to step over them. Race days they would knock your head of in the way to get in the loft.

Pigeons, like in all sport participates, only have super form for a few weeks. Athletes a couple then come down and then bring their' fitness up to 100% for chosen races. - Pigeons 7 weeks! No good training like the clappers then fading a week before the Olympics now is it.

YOU HAVE ALL heard the of the boxer who ' left it in the gym'. Over trained and ...

Rest is also all important.

I know a very good Welsh flyer - on here - that trains - Like so many other have and do with great success - 10 mile every morning be fore feeding in.

Some never once racing starts.

Pigeons become Loft fit, then progress to race fitness ... some, but very few, excel most weeks! A few on the trot eh!

I notice ,that walter has won his race with a latebred, which I assume has been trained well, unlike the trial,andy burgess was having to try because of the bop problems. hope they made it andy and have learned something for there further endeavours all the best.

I notice ,that walter has won his race with a latebred, which I assume has been trained well, unlike the trial,andy burgess was having to try because of the bop problems. hope they made it andy and have learned something for there further endeavours all the best.

thank you , all home safe and well . hoping the weather will be easier on them at next week,s race for there 2nd training toss .

Well Andy you proved a lot UPFRONT. Please for you and the result. (I'm glad you haven't been hung in public lol)

We all know, or should that pigeons are well capable of such. Doubters? Well maybe they doubt their own birds, or more so their own ability.

A pigeon mentally and physically fit are well capable.

Indeed like many other species. Who trains the Monarch Moth, the Warbler, the swifts and swallows?

How can a Albatross - in tests fly 3000 miles straight of to the home.

Who has, or doesn't know of untrained pigeons prisoners that have escaped, whether first time out or not going straight home.

Maybe some are sic that they spend time and money training and other just don't and beat them?

My birds are coming into form, naturally. After my week away next week, many will get their chance to show that they have the ability to home.

Now some / have had a once in the basket experience, between 150 and 200 miles. REST ASSURED I wouldn't dream of send any bird that wasn't healthy and loft fit.

Yes I will admit most will be tossed a few short ones. ... If me health holds up and I am good.

Now if a pigeon circle averages just 440 yards, which they certainly do at least, 4 times round is a mile! How many miles do yours do as such?

The lifting off and walking (Driving) are the best things that they do. When clapping off, necks arched and out stretch and soaring around with zest ... Then the pigeon I believe, most are ready for racing.

Good habits learned with then come to the fore. JMO

Ok so in the past i have trained and lost doos so ,my cocks have been tossed but my hens have had 2 14mls tosses and within my hens i have latebreds so i will give it a go no more tossing the hens ,by the way they are flying great at home so we will see ,if it works supper as my health is crap and training is a killer for me .

you loonies can take over this asylum,help yourself,spout all the nonsense you like mate.personally i dont care what anyone does with their latebreds,but coming on a forum and declaring that your sending untrained pigeons in a north west wind for the first race of their lives and inviting comments on what the chances are of their return is just playing into the hands of those who want the sport stopped,and confirms the myth that people who race pigeons are cruel barstewards who use birds as playthings for their sick experiments,sorry ,toe dipping.HANG EM HIGH !!

you loonies can take over this asylum,help yourself,spout all the nonsense you like mate.personally i dont care what anyone does with their latebreds,but coming on a forum and declaring that your sending untrained pigeons in a north west wind for the first race of their lives and inviting comments on what the chances are of their return is just playing into the hands of those who want the sport stopped,and confirms the myth that people who race pigeons are cruel barstewards who use birds as playthings for their sick experiments,sorry ,toe dipping.HANG EM HIGH !!

Is that the forcast for Saterday coming like ,belive it or not fowks opinions on this are important to me anay way and i am far from cruel ,i sit here wondering is it possible ,have you tried it ,and if not you know as much as me on this subject .

Was a Lad in Birmingham. Who had a stray come onto his dad's barn - they wasn't fanciers.

He fed it and noticed the lovely bright colours and shine on it's neck. He, for want of a better word, fell in love with it. He knew a lad mate kept pigeons. So he went and saw the loft etc.

Any way he pestered his parents for a mate for it. The pigeon pair ... After a while he was allowed to have a mate for it. Kept a in his old rabbit hutch. Like countless others did and still do... A pair of youngsters were bred ... and he was allowed to join a club... Then he came unstuck because he couldn't house any more...No permission for a loft or more orange boxes.

So he sent the youngsters to a race - first time ever!

He became the only person I know of that won, not only club and fed, BUT a NATIONAL first race ever etc.

Well documented in the BHW and Pictorial not so long ago.

I have a step son who rather amused me, and annoyed me. When 20 He would look at a dinner / tea and ask - if unfamiliar with it- what it was. Then untried stated 'I don't like it'. and wouldn't even try or taste it! But knew he didn't like it!

So I often fed him Bratwurst with his chips etc. He thoroughly enjoyed them. In fact would ask and look forward to them. I told the white lie as how I knew the manager of McDonalds and he let me buy these sausages. He like McDonalds.

One day, after about six months he was told, via the wife, that they were really Bratwusts from Aldi's.

He stated if he had known that he would never have eaten them ... as he didn't like them... He has never eaten them since either.

One man's meat eh! Pigeons show us some thing new so very often.

Some fanciers are particular to a fault and treat their birds fantastic. To a T Best books and video's and great friends to good flyers. Couldn't fault them in the very least or slight. Every year they take on board others inputs. Then ever season do just the same ... Hold the foot of the result list up.

A national flyer, he has won several Nationals both North and South and is a house hold name - and a good friend of mine.

Like his mate Dave.

So this National winner grew up with Dave. they live not 2 miles away from each other. Same year and class in school and are best of friends... Indeed best man at wedding etc.

So this national winner spends a lot of time and effort with Dave. Dave has and flies the same birds. Has the very best lent of given or bred for him EVERY YEAR!

Dave has a fantastic brick loft like a two story house.

This National winner says Dave has never took a card even as far as he can recall, let alone a win in 50 years ... and never will.

He listens and takes on board, and has great respect for the National winner ... But every season does just as he has done for the last 50 years.

Who does, let alone can train a pigeon? Simple answer is NO ONE!

We can feed as we believe is best and in their interests.

Watch and play around with the breeding cycle. Even distort their' very nature to some extent.

We strive to motivate them 'HOW'? in it's self is a myth!

Only thing that they fly home to is territory. The perch or nest box.

Widowerhoods are happy with ANY hen before or after a race.

A breaking point gets fair play because when it is a Good Un' it come from... between etc. .... NOTHEING TO DO with the wind the eh!

Gosh would fancier be peeved if they actually went to the breaking point every week regardless of the liberation point or Wind eh!

Simply and firstly we have no idea whatsoever how they home. So that can't be taught, let alone shown or trained.

Loft fitness, mentally and healthy, is all we can strive to pertain too... then it is beyond our ability or power or knowledge.

Ok so in the past i have trained and lost doos so ,my cocks have been tossed but my hens have had 2 14mls tosses and within my hens i have latebreds so i will give it a go no more tossing the hens ,by the way they are flying great at home so we will see ,if it works supper as my health is crap and training is a killer for me .

So there ye go trained cocks well, lost 2 latebreds from 20 miles but on the other hand got 4 ,2 lost were suspect ,hard day i think i am pleased

Jakie I take it, and hence am mindful that you may be young and a novice.

Simple facts of life shows every day that because you don't believe, or can't get your head around something THAT doesn't mean what ever you may, or may not think is right.

As for the insults, they are uncalled for and simply not merited.

I feel, personally, right or wrong, that I have taken my share of ridicule, and dished some out. But nothing childish or personal.

May I suggest that many fanciers of long serving, some on here! Yes ones experienced and whom love their' birds very much, know and have experienced much sorrow. Also very much pleasure, happiness in this game.

But one thing for certain is that they don't stoop to insults if they don't agree with another's thesis or idea. Because the simple fact is that they know what might not work for them may certainly work for others. Also never to under estimate a pigeon and it's ability.

Many have trained 3 miles at a time and lose some, or very many!... indeed in training alone in recent times losses have been horrendous, whether trained even when carefully with utmost patience has been the way.

Ricky Mardis - as I have posted sometime once NEVER trained. Didn't even let his birds out except on race days if not raced. HIS results were astounding. Mind he also has ventured into many other systems with great results.

Fancier or birds? or both?!

Now I'm not fit to even handle his birds, like so many others... even great fanciers.

So I humblely suggest watch, see and learn ... if not sure just ask on here!

Remember the wise old Owl eh!

I wish you every success whatever way you attain it. Indeed we would all be please as and when you have good results.

P.s. I've packed up smoking as it made the pigeons cough ... Mind I like a tad of Whiskey if you can sort some out for me lol. :drinking-coffee-200::emoticon-0136-giggle:

Jakie I take it, and hence am mindful that you may be young and a novice.

Simple facts of life shows every day that because you don't believe, or can't get your head around something THAT doesn't mean what ever you may, or may not think is right.

As for the insults, they are uncalled for and simply not merited.

I feel, personally, right or wrong, that I have taken my share of ridicule, and dished some out. But nothing childish or personal.

May I suggest that many fanciers of long serving, some on here! Yes ones experienced and whom love their' birds very much, know and have experienced much sorrow. Also very much pleasure, happiness in this game.

But one thing for certain is that they don't stoop to insults if they don't agree with another's thesis or idea. Because the simple fact is that they know what might not work for them may certainly work for others. Also never to under estimate a pigeon and it's ability.

Many have trained 3 miles at a time and lose some, or very many!... indeed in training alone in recent times losses have been horrendous, whether trained even when carefully with utmost patience has been the way.

Ricky Mardis - as I have posted sometime once NEVER trained. Didn't even let his birds out except on race days if not raced. HIS results were astounding. Mind he also has ventured into many other systems with great results.

Fancier or birds? or both?!

Now I'm not fit to even handle his birds, like so many others... even great fanciers.

So I humblely suggest watch, see and learn ... if not sure just ask on here!

Remember the wise old Owl eh!

I wish you every success whatever way you attain it. Indeed we would all be please as and when you have good results.

P.s. I've packed up smoking as it made the pigeons cough ... Mind I like a tad of Whiskey if you can sort some out for me lol. :drinking-coffee-200::emoticon-0136-giggle:

Here,Here, :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Well won't --- till later, and then it will be tossed a couple or so before hand.

You see, I have broken some pigeons in as told before.  I bought these as previously mentioned at a sale...

One took 3 times to break in, a nice two year old now. – I let out every three days to break a pigeon in.

This one went A.W.O.L. for about three weeks first time out.  I retrieved it and 3 days later I let him out again. I fetched it back. 3 days later let out and as thought, it stayed.

Now it is flying well and coming into loft fitness.

Also now mated it is busy driving and hence the walking and taking off has improved it's fitness.

Now it leaves the others when circling and zooms back into the loft. Then spends time collecting twigs and tobacco stalks I have left in the garden.

It is keen and concentrating on it's natural breeding cycle.

Hasn't been in a basket yet.

Now I know / feel that if I sent it to a race this week – end it would be there about. No two ways about that... I'd wager probably in top batch home.

But wouldn't send, as I fear the wind will be in the East. So will wait per usual for 2nd week in May before going to the club even.

Was told by good fanciers in early days 'If you must send to the early races just send a couple of old experienced war horses, just to be in the averages'.

Then told 'Too many good pigeons have been lost trying for the 'Averages'. Sending once too often to win if having a chance'. So I never have.

Yes I have won the Scottish averages, and nigh the Feds Gold cup... but the inland / combine ones etc. no!

Now it has experience. Proved it has intelligence and a homing ability. Has gleaned where home is from just flying around.

It is pretty fit ... so why shouldn't it show up?

Is there any thing I can teach it?

Maybe soon when on big a youngster and driving...!

thank you , all home safe and well . hoping the weather will be easier on them at next week,s race for there 2nd training toss .

well there 2nd training toss went well enough , even beat well trained yearlings that flew the youngbird National ? we live and learn eh :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Guest johnhunter

well said jakie.it all boils down to down right laziness IMO

I think John, that you, and jakie, are guilty of doing exactly what you are spouting against what decent fanciers are doing. Spouting bias and innate stupidity of the highest. With out an inkling or what you are surmising, let alone understand!

If you haven't tried, done, let alone listen and understood... I think 'Best be quiet and stop making yourself look silly' EH!

The SIMPLE FACT is AND HAS and ARE being proved to be true ... whether you are able, or intelligent enough to understand! Indeed it seem that it's you that is spouting from the loony bin.

I, like most, love their' pigeons. FACT! Hence the last thing that I or they, would ever do is harm them, let alone ask of them to do that they can't, nor couldn't achieve!

One must ask one self, if this IS the state of the looney bin you attend ARE we, Is Joe public wasting money trying to heal you lol.

As for laziness, get real. In fact just what the dickens made you thing of such stupidity? Another amazing whim of incredulous cods wallop eh! Oh sorry an inmate said so lol.

I think John, that you, and jakie, are guilty of doing exactly what you are spouting against what decent fanciers are doing. Spouting bias and innate stupidity of the highest. With out an inkling or what you are surmising, let alone understand!

If you haven't tried, done, let alone listen and understood... I think 'Best be quiet and stop making yourself look silly' EH!

The SIMPLE FACT is AND HAS and ARE being proved to be true ... whether you are able, or intelligent enough to understand! Indeed it seem that it's you that is spouting from the loony bin.

I, like most, love their' pigeons. FACT! Hence the last thing that I or they, would ever do is harm them, let alone ask of them to do that they can't, nor couldn't achieve!

One must ask one self, if this IS the state of the looney bin you attend ARE we, Is Joe public wasting money trying to heal you lol.

As for laziness, get real. In fact just what the dickens made you thing of such stupidity? Another amazing whim of incredulous cods wallop eh! Oh sorry an inmate said so lol.

The problem I think Roland is that John hunter and Jakie would like to think that the late breeds might have been given an EVEN BETTER chance if they had been TRAINED ..an idea that's hard to argue against