Feeding Fats

philg50

• 2 months later...

Fats are the most important source of energy for a pigeon imo, I would happily feed no carbs for a race, but I'd never send a pigeon without feeding plenty of fats regardless the distance. For me fat loading starts Monday evening, but the full effect kicks in from Tuesday

• 1 year later...

Fats are the most important source of energy for a pigeon imo, I would happily feed no carbs for a race, but I'd never send a pigeon without feeding plenty of fats regardless the distance. For me fat loading starts Monday evening, but the full effect kicks in from Tuesday

Although a old post

Be interested to see how you judge what's required against what fat will be unused and just a dead weight on the bird

Thanks

I’ll be honest I do not judge it they get the same feed every single week. Put it on another perspective is that the way I feed or fed is similar to an athlete on a no carb diet. What happens is and those that will have tried it will know is that for about two days u feel rubbish as the body is craving carbs. However once the body knows no carbs or little carbs will only be supplied the body realises fats will be its only energy source.

Monday would be a 1/4 fats, Tuesday & Wednesday 3/4 fats and so on, when I was sprinting every grain was measured

That's interesting Ryan

I have been feeding 1/4 Wednesday night , 1/4 Thursday am ,1/2 Thursday pm and just fats Friday so my may need a alteration

Cheers mate

Monday would be a 1/4 fats, Tuesday & Wednesday 3/4 fats and so on, when I was sprinting every grain was measured

Ok Wiley,so are you advocating a racing mixture thats high in fats to make up the 3/4 top up or is it a certain seed and if so what seeds contain lots of fats ,if it is peanuts they are rather expensive are there other options,cheers

Ok Wiley,so are you advocating a racing mixture thats high in fats to make up the 3/4 top up or is it a certain seed and if so what seeds contain lots of fats ,if it is peanuts they are rather expensive are there other options,cheers

I buy VL energy mix £18 for 20kg but it lasts the season , I think bamfords and South feeds do a version

Also of late I have been looking at the stuff Chris Gibson sells as they is just sunflower ,peanuts hemp etc I researched if it was cheaper to make my own and it isn't

Have a search for northern powerhouse auctions his seed mix is on there cost more but I think it would be good for a small team flier