Nestbowls

aye ready

In the past on separating the pairs to work the roundabout I've always cleared the box/ Nestbowls of all nesting material and gave them a clean but this year I thought about leaving the Nestbowls as they Are with the nesting material intact what do you's do and do you think that it makes any difference

We got told off just the other week for leaving the nest bowls in the boxes (by a better flier than ourselves) - even though the boxes were locked up - we were told to remove all traces of nest bowls etc as it lessens the incentive (and the season hadn't started!)

So this season - the nest bowls are out of the nestbox and only put in day of basketing - but as for nest material - only the day before basketing or morning of basketing for a national or big race

I remove all nest bowls from the loft with the nesting material left intact. I number the nest bowls to their corresponding box/s. Come basketing the cocks get their own bowls back.

Now the $64,000 question........ do the cocks recognise their own bowl?...........do the cocks recognise the smell of the old nest? I don't know the answer but could it be so?????

I've done it both ways and it made no difference to how the birds performed.Now I take all nests and eggs away while the birds are out and let them back in to an empty box and they stay together for 24hrs then I split them.Next time the cocks go out I put a new bowl in the box and leave it in all season.

What about this ,cut a bit of ply 1ft square screw to the bottem of nest bowl when the cocks are going through the week nest bowl turned upside down bird stands on ply ,showing hens Friday turn the bowl over (right way up ) repeat procedure each week ,I just leave bowl at back of box and move front into back setting ,if i was healthy i would do first option .

Thanks for the replies lads it's just that the past 2 years I,ve been working shifts and was looking for ways to make things easier when setting the birds up on a Friday,in the past I've usually cleaned all the boxes and bowls of nesting material and then stood the bowl on it's edge against a corner of the box but I was thinking if they don't have access to the bowl all week then wether it was turned up or down shouldn't make much difference or would it?

Thanks for the replies lads it's just that the past 2 years I,ve been working shifts and was looking for ways to make things easier when setting the birds up on a Friday,in the past I've usually cleaned all the boxes and bowls of nesting material and then stood the bowl on it's edge against a corner of the box but I was thinking if they don't have access to the bowl all week then wether it was turned up or down shouldn't make much difference or would it?

The thesis behind the bowl being turned over, was that fanciers believed the cock felt the hen was underneath the bowl...hence when it was turned back over the hen appeared.