Fifers New Loft Going Up

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Spencer Coating today collected the Dandy Dons MicroFlex RED and WHITE paint also got grey FloorCote non slip decking paint for the floor

You will be busy when I get it down to you

Cheers Archie

Ian

Ps good choice of colours they said if you use a high gloss clear varnish the birds will see it from the race point so got that as well :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

• 1 month later...

loft when built as you see wood was treated,post-538-14915843665813_thumb.jpg

DSCF4266.JPG wood now, after rain and inside walls soaking,

DSCF4268.JPGwood now, as you see on left still some of the treatment

this was the problem, and i was told I should have painted it, so hopefully all ok now

If wood is treated it should not need painted "Ask any joiner"

Your very correct.

MKM KIRKCALDY is not going to be used again, as they have sold an inferior product which doesn't do what its supposed to do.

Im awaiting an answer for the Manager, to see what his take is.

Archie has been let down, quite rightly so, as I've been let down, and i will be doing all i can to help rectify it, and very soon.

All previous timber has been purchased from MGM Glenrothes, and never had any issues.

MKM states its only treated against rot and wood bourne insects???? and not weather. False advertising there then, as "treated" would suggest its weather proof.

They're recommendation is to treat the wood straight away.

I wont fall for that one again, lesson learnt :-(

Edited by alex wight

Your very correct.

MKM KIRKCALDY is not going to be used again, as they have sold an inferior product which doesn't do what its supposed to do.

Im awaiting an answer for the Manager, to see what his take is.

Archie has been let down, quite rightly so, as I've been let down, and i will be doing all i can to help rectify it, and very soon.

All previous timber has been purchased from MGM Glenrothes, and never had any issues.

MKM states its only treated against rot and wood bourne insects???? and not weather. False advertising there then, as "treated" would suggest its weather proof.

They're recommendation is to treat the wood straight away.

I wont fall for that one again, lesson learnt :-(

good to read your post Alex and thanks, just a pity you weren't in that frame of mind when at my place this morning ,so hopefully we get this sorted now and put to bed,

As i said on the phone call, get the paint, i,ll pay for it and get your loft painted, free off charge off course.

Ive been let done badly with this product, but never want to see my customers let down.

So again once you have the paint, give me a call and i,ll get along and get it completed.

It's protiim that the timber has been treated with the yellow colouring is just a dye which fades with time but the timber will still be pressure treated wither the chemical, a good coat of wood preservative will do it fine,me personally I'd go with sadolin expensive tho

It's protiim that the timber has been treated with the yellow colouring is just a dye which fades with time but the timber will still be pressure treated wither the chemical, a good coat of wood preservative will do it fine,me personally I'd go with sadolin expensive tho

yes its just the weather now got paint for it but with today's rain its inside walls are soaked again inside,

• 1 month later...

As i said on the phone call, get the paint, i,ll pay for it and get your loft painted, free off charge off course.

Ive been let done badly with this product, but never want to see my customers let down.

So again once you have the paint, give me a call and i,ll get along and get it completed.

got the paint loft got 2 coats by Alex, but afraid its still not working, joints opening up etc , so really thinking about packing it in, was hoping to start with old birds but didnt get the loft finished on time then set on young birds but not like it, this has been going on for too long , Alex is on holiday for 2 week so says he cant do anything for 2-3 weeks, he is admitting above its been a bad product and wont be dealing with that company again ,thats not helping me, I thought i had nothing to do but put up money for a new loft etc and all would be fine, but there you go,

put up some pics of the joints

click to enlarge

DSCF4316.JPG

DSCF4315.JPG

DSCF4313.JPG

DSCF4309.JPG

DSCF4312.JPG

Archie I have told you before the loft is unfit for purpose as admitted

Your being strung along

I have seen your loft and you need to request a loft fit for purpose or your money back

Legal action may be required to resolve this

At your age you do not need this but it has to be done

Crafty fifer needs to man up and resolve this not keep doing or suggesting a patch up

Ian

What type of wood is the tongue and grove boards made from . I worked in timber yard in Bangor for some years . Pressure treating and tanalisation does not waterproof timber . Some woods are very porous and absorb lot of water. All boards exspand and contract so joint can and will open and close . Wood boards ahould be painted with a good oil based sealer stainer to keep water out .

What type of wood is the tongue and grove boards made from . I worked in timber yard in Bangor for some years . Pressure treating and tanalisation does not waterproof timber . Some woods are very porous and absorb lot of water. All boards exspand and contract so joint can and will open and close . Wood boards ahould be painted with a good oil based sealer stainer to keep water out .

Tongue and groove is no use for outside walls of a shed, they contract in dry periods of weather, even weatherboard, with much bigger overlap does this. no use blaming the product, the blame lies with who decided to use these materials.

its had 4 coats of Ronseal one coat, which protects fences and sheds for up to 2 years, as on the tin, I gave it 2 coats but didnt work Alex gave it 2 coats and still water coming through the joints, when the loft was put up it had a coat of something on it but this was eventually washed off , if you look at the photos in post 1 and 56 you will see the colour of whatever was on it

Archie be interesting to know if the cladding was still wet from the protium treatment when built as the timber would have been kiln dried before it was machined to this profile,then it would have been treated which would have soaked the timber again and if it was still wet when Alex built it then the natural drying process would cause it to open up