Fifers New Loft Going Up

Nice loft he really does a great job the crafty fifer and a gentleman to talk to seen some of his stuff at shows and very good chippy by looks of it hope your new loft brings happyness and sucess ATB :animatedpigeons:

Did you actually read all the posts to see what Archie is going on about or just add a comment ?

As for me I'm sorry to hear of your trouble Archie hope it gets resolved for you

Keep us all informed we dont need this kind of thing

all the best

sandy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My loft is weatherboarding 1" thick and the joints open up every year in the summer and their is nothing you can do about it which is why most new lofts are exterior ply. I gave mine 4 coats of oil based Cuprinol to start with after building and yearly has a covering of exterior varnish, makes no difference.

its caused with the nailgun set to deep hence the nails are to far in ,, check and see ??

someone else saw the hut and said the problem was the nails, surely it cant be normal for the boards to open and close and let water run through them, i have had huts shacks and god knows what but never had this problem,

My loft is weatherboarding 1" thick and the joints open up every year in the summer and their is nothing you can do about it which is why most new lofts are exterior ply. I gave mine 4 coats of oil based Cuprinol to start with after building and yearly has a covering of exterior varnish, makes no difference.

but were you getting rain coming through all the joints,

inside when raining

click to enlarge

post-538-15004485329351_thumb.jpg

that is shocking archie!!

hope you get the problem sorted out!!!demand action!!or refund!

also dont be silly and let this put you down!!and dont think about calling it a day with the pigeons!!

you have only just started back in the game!!

i know how you must feel!!

keep your chin up!!

atb

also dont be silly and let this put you down!!and dont think about calling it a day with the pigeons!!

keep your chin up!!

atb

I think its shocking , this has been going on for weeks now and still not fixed dont think its normal to have water coming through the boards, never heard of it all my life it has had 4 coats of Ronseal one coat gives protection for 2 years, I think i will get in touch with them and see what they say,

someone else saw the hut and said the problem was the nails, surely it cant be normal for the boards to open and close and let water run through them, i have had huts shacks and god knows what but never had this problem,

if the shiplap is shrinking and opening up its the person who built it to blame ie overlap not right in or framing (2x2)to far apart, get on to the *expletive removed* that built it old boy,

I think its shocking , this has been going on for weeks now and still not fixed dont think its normal to have water coming through the boards, never heard of it all my life it has had 4 coats of Ronseal one coat gives protection for 2 years, I think i will get in touch with them and see what they say,

it doesnt matter what you paint the loft with archie it wont sort the leaking problem out!!! you cant paint over gaps!!

that ends up being a botch job!!

atb

but were you getting rain coming through all the joints,

No Archie I never had rain coming in through the wood or the knots as you are, "There does appear to be a considerable amount of knots so would assume its seconds weatherboarding". My weatherboarding would shrink but not enough to let water in nor does it have any knots in it.

No Archie I never had rain coming in through the wood or the knots as you are, "There does appear to be a considerable amount of knots so would assume its seconds weatherboarding". My weatherboarding would shrink but not enough to let water in nor does it have any knots in it.

thanks peter yes as you see it had been treated with something when built and I have been told that is the problem he has not let it dry out, so its not opening and closing as it should be , every joint in my loft lets rain in , think there is a post on this saying the same he has used the wood while still wet, he doesnt think there is much you can do about it now,

it really is simple archie it has not been built properly!!!ie the products used!!

it doesnt matter what you do to it. it wont sort it self out!! painting etc

you dont need to put up with it mate!!dont listen to excuses!!

nor should you have to do anything!!!you payed for it!!

atb

Archie be interesting to know if the cladding was still wet from the protium treatment when built as the timber would have been kiln dried before it was machined to this profile,then it would have been treated which would have soaked the timber again and if it was still wet when Alex built it then the natural drying process would cause it to open up

Archie a solution to this is frame the original cladding on the outside with 2"X1" and reclad the loft therefore leaving an inch gap between the 2 layers of cladding therefore water won't reach the inside cladding

This has been and is being dealt with between Archie and myself.

We tried to rectify the ongoing issue by repainting the loft 4 weeks ago, which has only come to light, last night, that it hasn't done the job.

We discussed sealing all joints with wood filler /expanding sealant on my return from my family holiday, which Archie agreed to.

The loft was build with treated wood which is treated against wood bourn insects and rot, hence the yellow colour.

The nails aren't an issue.

The issue is not, being treated straight away, (poor advice from the timber merchant).

If an issue has been raised by Archie, i have acted the quickest i can.

I have listened to "experts " (not on here), and learned valuable lessons, to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I wont get into a slanging match with anyone, as everyone is entitled to they're opinion, and I'm both professional, and above that standard.

This is hoped to rectify the problem once and for all.

kind regards

alex

What type of wood is the tongue and grove boards made from . I worked in timber yard in Bangor for some years . Pressure treating and tanalisation does not waterproof timber . Some woods are very porous and absorb lot of water. All boards exspand and contract so joint can and will open and close . Wood boards ahould be painted with a good oil based sealer stainer to keep water out .

19mm log lap mucker. The problem is that it never got treated straight away, got wet, then dried, hence shrinking.

it really is simple archie it has not been built properly!!!ie the products used!!

it doesnt matter what you do to it. it wont sort it self out!! painting etc

you dont need to put up with it mate!!dont listen to excuses!!

nor should you have to do anything!!!you payed for it!!

atb

no excuses have been made, materials were good. Poor information given regarding treatment of the wood given by the timber merchant? its not being sorted out by Archie, we have discussed what the next move is.

This is not seconds wood, and its not leaking everywhere?

thanks peter yes as you see it had been treated with something when built and I have been told that is the problem he has not let it dry out, so its not opening and closing as it should be , every joint in my loft lets rain in , think there is a post on this saying the same he has used the wood while still wet, he doesnt think there is much you can do about it now,

if i by timber from a merchant its up to them to be selling a material fit for purpose.

if the shiplap is shrinking and opening up its the person who built it to blame ie overlap not right in or framing (2x2)to far apart, get on to the *expletive removed* that built it old boy,

framing is 3x2 bearers at 400mm intervals

get onto the ********** that built it?????

keep your chin up!!

atb

It would be shocking if i was running away from the problem.

Archie WASNT flying old birds this or Young birds, but as the loft was up, he was going to try a few young bird races to get him back into it? theres no reason for jacking it in, as the issue is being worked on.

nothing wrong with the nails

It's protiim that the timber has been treated with the yellow colouring is just a dye which fades with time but the timber will still be pressure treated wither the chemical, a good coat of wood preservative will do it fine,me personally I'd go with sadolin expensive tho

thank you mucker, this was put to archie, and explained what it was and what its purpose it has.

Theres a break down in communication, regarding painting it straight away. Im sure i suggested painting it with a bitumen paint, but that conversation got lost along the way. We are now looking to get it sealed as soon as I'm back.

Hope this resolves the problem this time Fifer most definate doesnt need this at his age only wants to keep himself occupied by racing his pigeons

I appreciate and realise this. This was not intentional on my part, which I'm trying my best to rectify and give him what he wants and needs.

Its all in hand.