Rota Virus

ozzytone

Have any of flyers in the UK had the Rota virus in their loft and if so, do you know of a cure or preventative medicine. The symptoms are as follows 1. birds vomit up food. 2. will not eat 3. green slimey smelly droppings. 4. dead . All within 2 days, we are losing thousands of birds in Australia as it seems to be an airborn virus and any loft can get it whether they let their birds out or keep them in. It kills old birds as well as youngsters. Our vets say that it will take them at least a year to make a vaccine, so it looks like a lot of racing will be cancelled this year. When I was a youngster in the UK many years ago, it looked similar to a bird "going lite" but is much more agressive and spreads very easily.

Thanks Oz

Have any of flyers in the UK had the Rota virus in their loft and if so, do you know of a cure or preventative medicine. The symptoms are as follows 1. birds vomit up food. 2. will not eat 3. green slimey smelly droppings. 4. dead . All within 2 days, we are losing thousands of birds in Australia as it seems to be an airborn virus and any loft can get it whether they let their birds out or keep them in. It kills old birds as well as youngsters. Our vets say that it will take them at least a year to make a vaccine, so it looks like a lot of racing will be cancelled this year. When I was a youngster in the UK many years ago, it looked similar to a bird "going lite" but is much more agressive and spreads very easily.

Thanks Oz

Try nifuramycin

sorry to hear that ozz, this could be cross infection from birds being brought in, if its like we have here of going light and gaping and dying there is no cure, i had 7 birds from a flyer. three went gape and died yhe other four is good and thriving, cross infection from diff envirnments is my assumption min, all the best.

Been following the Rota virus problem for the past three month or so on an Auz. website,looks like they have a serious problem,whole lofts getting more or less cleaned out.Feel sorry for the lads and lasses down under,must be devastating.

Don't think anyone has come up with a cure and pumping anti's into the birds won't help,might even make things worse.

Are you a member of Lets Talk Pigeons Ozzytone ?

Lindsay C.

Hyperdrug produce a product called Rotaboost 5000 which is supposed to block viral attack particularly Rotavirus. It's a colostrum based product.

It may not be available to you but you could try something along these lines.

It won't cure the virus but may be useful as a preventative.

Thanks for the suggestions, will see if I can obtain some of the medicines recommended. So far in our club 12 of the 16 flyers have the Rota virus in their lofts and have suffered heavy losses. the rest of us have just crossed our fingers and hoped it will miss us. It started in Western Australia and has in about a year, spread across the rest of Australia. Some Federations have agreed not to race this year, others are just waiting to see how long it lasts in their area. It strikes old and young birds and the only ones that seem to not get infected are very old birds over about 8 years old.

Thanks Oz

Ps. I am a member of Let,s talk pigeon talk, this is one of our forums in Australia, if your interested have a look at it and see what we get up to in Oz.

• 2 years later...