The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

While at Blackpool show I met up with my dear friend Rob Glover of Nuneaton in the Midlands who has done well with a pigeon that I bred him as she has won 6th Ace pigeon in the Midland National Flying Club. This blue hen won 31st section 121st open MNFC Bordeaux 531 miles from an entry of 1500 birds. She also won 53rd open MNFC Ancenis 370 miles with 4500 birds competing and then she won 5th section 52nd open Bordeaux flying 531 miles in 2016. I have included a photograph of Rob and I while at Blackpool. Rob informed me that his club were holding a young bird sale in March and would I like to donate a youngster to this sale, which I did. Rob phoned me on Sunday past to say that my bird was the top priced bird in the Nuneaton club sale which was good news so I hope it does as well as the blue hen mentioned above. I have also enclosed a photograph of the late Eddie Newcombe of Malta who died recently. In the picture left to right is Eddie; Keith Cochrane, Joe Murphy, Dale Newcombe, Joe Newcombe and Kevin. The pigeon on the trap walking into the loft was our Sartilly Scottish National winner Mystical Rose. The third picture is of ‘Polo’ chequer pied cock raced by Bob Wilson of Strathmiglo in Fife. This cock won 26th section C 80th open SNFC Ypres, then 247th open from SNFC Eastbourne, 36th section C 96th open SNFC Clermont then 88th section C 357th open from SNFC Littlehampton and finally he won 36th section C 123rd open SNFC Ypres to win his SNFC Silver Award. My thanks to Jim Hannah for the photograph of Polo

Rob Glover and Joe Murphy

post-849-1490872821718_thumb.jpg

Newcombe Visit

post-849-14908728869921_thumb.jpg

Polo

post-849-14908729607369_thumb.jpg

Good SNFC Birds

Received a letter from Dougie Barnes of Crossgates in Fife who wrote ‘Hi Joe I would like to say how much I enjoy your pages it the BHW. Also the ‘Joe’s Joke’ which I have told my step children with good effect and I would also like to say the good work you do covering the ‘Good SNFC Birds’ I see that covered one from Jim & Gary Peggie of Methil and I know of another good bird that races in the same club as the Peggie’s and hope you can give this gallant bird a mention in your column. I bred this bird and donated it to the Methilhaven breeder buyer sale in 2011. This was bought by Austin Whittaker and the positions of this hen are as follows; Chequer White flight SU11F 2286 bred from a grandson of ‘Kingdom Spirit’ Double SNFC Gold Award winner (10 times a winner from France for George & Brian Hunter of Dunfermline) back to the chequer hen 2286. From the Maidstone national in 2012 she won 297th open flying 374 miles from an entry of 3442 birds competed by 515 members. The following year she was sent to the Newbury national and won 28th section C 202nd open flying 339 miles with 560 members sending 3328 birds. Then in 2014 she was again sent to Maidstone and won 102nd section no open prize against 4484 birds submitted by 590 members. In 2015 she was entered for the SNFC Gold Cup from Alencon a distance of 551 miles and she won 126th open (no section prize) from an entry of 1416 birds entered by 400 members. Then last year 2016 she was again entered into the SNFC Gold Cup race this time from Reims and she won 19th section C 54th open flying 564 miles against 1330 birds contested by 355 members. May I wish you and Kevin all the best for the 2017 season (I spoke to him at the SHU show in Lanark) and I hope he does well again in the nationals, yours Dougie Barnes’.

Staying in Fife we come to Sean Diamond of Kennoway who grew up a few doors from us when we lived in Seton Terrace. Sean and John Bradford were novices away back then and Sean has turned out to be a first class pigeon man. He has a chequer pied cock SU14F 3177 who as a baby won 35th section C from the Buckingham young bird national flying 302 miles. The following year he was entered into the Eastbourne national a distance of 401 miles and he won 29th section C 93rd open from an entry of 2494 birds. Then in 2016 he was entered into the SNFC Gold Cup race from Reims and won 22nd section C 76th open flying 566 miles from an entry of 1330 birds.

We continue on this theme with a blue bar hen SU12S 351 raced by Jim Dalgliesh of Ecclefechan as a 2 year old she won 17th section A 55th open from Buckingham a distance of 231 miles flying against 2941birds. Then in 2015 she was again sent to the inland national this time from Billericay a distance of 284 miles and she won 10th section A 162nd open from an entry of 3395 birds. Last year 2016 she was entered into the Ypres race a distance of 388 miles and she won 11th section A 208th open. We wish the above fancier all the very best with their pigeons for the new season ahead.

Scottish Sayings

"Awa' an bile yer heid"

This Scottish phrase is another one that needs a double-dose of translating! Simply putting it into English results in "Away and boil your head!" - Which probably won't help you much?

What it means is something along the lines of 'Get lost!' or 'Forget it!' - And it's usually said to someone who is deemed to be talking rubbish, or wasting your time.

Joe’s Joke

Subject: The Lady and the Frog

A beautiful woman goes to her local pet shop in search of an exotic pet. She notices a box full of frogs, with a sign that says: "SEX FROGS! Only £20 each! Complete instructions included." Intrigued, she grabs one of the frogs, goes up to the clerk at the front counter, and says "I'll take this one!" He smiles, packages the frog and says, "Just follow the instructions and enjoy yourself!†She nods, grabs the box, and rushes out the door. When she gets to her apartment, she opens the box and reads the instructions:

1. Take a shower.

2. Splash on some nice perfume.

3. Slip into a sexy nightie.

4. Get in bed with the frog beside you, and allow the frog to do what he has been trained to do!

With mounting excitement she follows the instructions and lies in bed with the frog, breathlessly waiting. Nothing happens. She pokes the frog with her finger, he flinches a bit and croaks, but that is all...still nothing happens. Now she is quite upset and disappointed! She re-reads the instructions and notices a line at the bottom of the page: "If you have any problems or questions, please call the pet store, 555-3764." She calls the pet store. The clerk answers and says he'll be right over. Within minutes he is ringing her doorbell. She welcomes him in, and says, "I've done everything according to the instructions...but the damn frog just SITS there!" Looking very concerned, the man picks up the frog, stares directly into its eyes, and sternly says: "NOW PAY ATTENTION! I'm only going to show you how to do this just ONE...MORE...TIME!

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy