Floor Grills

bhirst

What. Are the pros an cons of loft floor grills ,and wood or plastic ?

i tried them around 10 years ago (hardwood type). liked the idea, looked great , had them over Easy-bed for a deep litter type system . was a pain in the rear to clean and keep tidy .

i would however try the same again , maybe for the stock birds , only have a few pair now so "could work" . when first tried there were over 16 pair in a 12 ft section , that may have been my downfall .

i tried them around 10 years ago (hardwood type). liked the idea, looked great , had them over Easy-bed for a deep litter type system . was a pain in the rear to clean and keep tidy .

i would however try the same again , maybe for the stock birds , only have a few pair now so "could work" . when first tried there were over 16 pair in a 12 ft section , that may have been my downfall .

Thanks food for thought

Pros good if yer pushed for time due to work etc !!! Cons the sh** still builds up on em !! ( except the metal grating type) Personally tried wooden and metal but Jist didna like watching the sh** build up below it TBH !! Much prefer the scraper during Breeding/Racing/moulting and easybed down in winter changed oot every month or so !!

This year put down plastic grids they are 500 x 500mm about 10cm of the floor ,we clean out (me & wife )about every 7-10 days they are a boost ,shakie o lime on floor then the grids ,no scraping just take up their sh-t with shovel it drys up this way and your feet is clean IMO they are great.

This year put down plastic grids they are 500 x 500mm about 10cm of the floor ,we clean out (me & wife )about every 7-10 days they are a boost ,shakie o lime on floor then the grids ,no scraping just take up their sh-t with shovel it drys up this way and your feet is clean IMO they are great.

Sounds good I have plastic grills going to put them in place on a trail basis

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Visited a fancier once his floor grill system was very clever but for it to work the loft must be elevated

His grill system covered the entire floor area but underneath the slope was framed solid from zero at the front dropping to say 4 feet at the back he had a bin system that he could remove at the back of the loft ,never had to lift the grills

Ingenious

• 4 years later...