Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog.

Wiley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young bird training going well with some tosses even before the so called day break, the hope is to beat the heat and temperatures down here but hopefully it teaches them valuable lesson of flying in low light which I think could pay dividens for the long distance races of there future.

The last few weeks has seen me seriously contemplating on what direction of the sport on the south I wish to take, and I keep pushing towards the idea of aiming for all out distance races. If this is the case I may have to release some stock from the team, which would be a shame as all have been here many years producing many winners and prize winners at sprinting and helped form my current day family.

Next season my way of feeding will dramatically change. The aim upto 300 miles is feeding the Koopman beyers mixture with 20% paddy rice and 20% barley added and feeding the birds to appetite. 300 miles plus would see me hopper feeding the birds with koopman mixture infront of them at all times.

I have been trialing a new product which is based on beetroot juice and currently the pigeons have been on it for 7 days, and where previously because they had been trained hard there exercise period around the lofts was 20-30 minutes, they are now ranging and going for over an hour plus. These have been trained hard right upto the newhaven coast. But with temperatures in the 30s I won’t be racing them at least not yet.An article deplicting dehydrating swifts tells me enough. If it’s hitting Mother Nature it will affect us.

A lot of federation from what I heard had a disaster with young birds last week, and for sure the temperatures played apart. On the continent they reduce numbers in the crates when it’s like this, and sometimes cancel the races full stop. We as a sport in the U.K. need to get out of the rut that we must race every single week and every race. Be your own convoyed guys and if in doubt leave them out.

Edited by Wiley