Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog.

Wiley

Well done Ryan. Our birds were split up from Fraserburgh. I think they were attacked and perhaps went to ground retreated back to where they were libbed. One was reported quite close to the lib point and he has been timing it regularly and on the result. Keep your eyes peeled for any SU rung pigeons with either A or AN on their rings just in case they managed to get caught up with your pigeons. :)

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had 4 out of the 7 entries at first light this morning all within 30 minutes of each other, it wasn't what I wanted as I wanted day birds but those 4 wasn't far behind considering how early they was there

They will certainly have learned from it Ryan, at least their there to try another day. Well done :smiling-scarecrow-329:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I somewhat have forgotten about this blog, but I think this year will see the biggest experiment I have done, and I hope for those that care to read will find it interesting. This year I have joined the BICC and I will be trying a few old birds on the south road. Now these birds have never ever been trained or raced on this route so I am not expecting miracles or anything to be honest. It’s something I want to venture into and I am hoping the south road bug can bite and I hope by 2019 I will be racing 100% south but let’s not count chickens before they hatch. As many will know a knee loft was erected over a year ago now, and was well pleased on how it planned out and the results from the previous years was up, did the new loft have an influence I’d like to think so, but couldn’t be certain.

As many will know the loft was set up for ETS, but with ETS not looking likely to be used in the future of north road racing into London is another reason amongst others that I wish to give the south road a bash although I haven’t invested in a system yet. Around the loft lately I have been getting the birds used to going through the traps which they have taken to very well, apart from the policeman who does go in but is weary of the bob wires, but hunger tames lions and the longer he refuses to go in as quick as his team mates the hungrier he will get. Over the next few years, and with the hope of concentrating on south road national racing, introduction more inclined to distance racing will be looked at. I am currently reading a John Clements book on long distance racing and have been reading many articles on fanciers on Elimar and the fanciers fling over the 600 miles in NFC from tarbes really interest me. As many would have read many moons ago on the north road racing from Lerwick 600 miles was my fathers only aim in his racing career, were he has had numerous top 7 performances including winning 1st Open LNRC, so with my interest getting into longer distance racing I’m sure he’ll love the prospect, especially on the south we have the opportunity to race a number of races over 500 miles. But I am a big believer that for the distance the blood means a lot more then what it does in sprint racing.

Cheers guys this year is all about getting a feel of it, I am sure a lot of changes will happen, but that’s the fun side of the sport, hence why we must keep throwing new obstacles at ourselves to achieve.

I have a few things I am planning to do with pigeons this season that I’ve never done before so hope you guys when the times come find it of interest, and my findings and observations

Wishing you all the best in your ambition to win from the longer races, I am not interested in Classic/National racing the hassle of travel to marking and clock checking is not for me so stick to Fed racing which with only four channel races per year means that distance pigeons are not high on my list of priorities.

However I have to say that any one who wants to achieve success must always be looking for better pigeons and better sprint birds are just as hard to find as distance pigeons.

Distance pigeons come from a smaller pool and take longer to identify, trying to choose from a larger pool of sprint racers to suit the environment and the methods used to race can be just as difficult as finding long distance racers.

Wishing you all the best in your ambition to win from the longer races, I am not interested in Classic/National racing the hassle of travel to marking and clock checking is not for me so stick to Fed racing which with only four channel races per year means that distance pigeons are not high on my list of priorities.

However I have to say that any one who wants to achieve success must always be looking for better pigeons and better sprint birds are just as hard to find as distance pigeons.

Distance pigeons come from a smaller pool and take longer to identify, trying to choose from a larger pool of sprint racers to suit the environment and the methods used to race can be just as difficult as finding long distance racers.

I completely disagree, good distance pigeons are like hens teeth and sprint pigeons are very easy to come by.

I completely disagree, good distance pigeons are like hens teeth and sprint pigeons are very easy to come by.

I would certainly agree with you Derek. What is the saying, "Distance kills". Some just don't have it and that includes the fancier because ensuring they are prepared properly is the fanciers job. I think that for distance, the bloodlines are paramount. :)

While over the corn shop today, I picked up couple bags of Starts Plus, some barley and G10s. I’ve bought these G10 prematurely as they will be used when I have young birds and they are weaned but we’re on offer so I picked them up. The birds are on Barley as we speak, ounce per bird fed once a day. This will change when we have youngsters in the nest to 50% start plus, 25% diat mix and 25% maples.

A miserable day in London and the amount of time spent over pigeons shop talking doos with the fanciers there meant the birds stayed in. However when I got home from the lofts I cooked myself up a ham and cheese omelette and sat on my balcony at my flat, and watched the streeters picking about on the green below my flat, and was surprised how many young birds there was amongst them. It made me think with all the snow we had, the past few months and the cold temperatures, and we still hear fanciers say there eggs didn’t hatch due to the chill.

With the rings of the RPRA coming out now beginning of December it has got me thinkIng there will be a higher amount of young birds for sale at The Blackpool show this year, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Had the widowhood cocks out yesterday, as we do most days. Was a pleasure as it was a surprise that they exercised for 40 minutes, exercise is not something I tend to look at yet, I start to look at more so at the end of this month, to get the exercise up so the birds are flying with vigour 1 month before the first race so they can go in the basket, that way you can pick and choose the best days for training.

I also rewatched a new dvd that has just come out made featuring Ronnie Bigwood and Dirk Van Den Bulcke, being honest the first time I watched it, I had very little time on my hands and was looking after my own boy and 2 of my nephews so it was chaos. The second watch was more enjoyable and I was able to take a few things in.

I see the week ahead strong winds, rain and snow is forecast with Blackpool looming there’s is no surprise, I hope for many their travels are safe. This year is the first year I’ve ever driven up, with a 4 hour 50 journey looming I hope the weather is kind

Been doing a lot of research of late about long distance pigeons, how they are raced, prepared, feeding ect. When I came across this pigeon in my opinion it has to be one of the best long distance pigeons there has ever been raced in the uk Jack Jones, also sire of 2x2nd national, 5th national, 9th national and many more. Super Super Pigeon

post-607-15161028283469_thumb.jpeg

post-607-15161029821809_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wiley