Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog.

Wiley

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today spent the day with the birds exercising and then having a bath, followed up by their morning feed of just barley. I also spent some time analsing on where i thought each bird in the team was fitness wise in comparison with each other. The condition was very good with silky feathering, rose pink flesh, with little to no scale. However one pigeon was not in the condition as the rest of his team mates, more scale then the others, but what i noticed more was that he was holding more down around the breast then the others. It is the pencil blue pied cock pictured known as "against the wind" a previous federation winner. Every bird treated the same so i will keep an eye on him. Will take him in the hand for the next three days and pop three pea sized cuts of garlic down his throat morning and night. And within three days we shall see if he is releasing the down as he should be, its something that usually does the trick. There is down in his box every morning, but his just got to much around his breast, which should part easily like the rest of his team to show the skin. Maybe being over critical but if all fed and watered, and exercise the same, they all should be in same nick.

I would like to thank the Scottish gentleman who was rapid with transfering his young birds he had off me, it was much appreciated.

post-607-14889839810357_thumb.jpeg

Today spent the day with the birds exercising and then having a bath, followed up by their morning feed of just barley. I also spent some time analsing on where i thought each bird in the team was fitness wise in comparison with each other. The condition was very good with silky feathering, rose pink flesh, with little to no scale. However one pigeon was not in the condition as the rest of his team mates, more scale then the others, but what i noticed more was that he was holding more down around the breast then the others. It is the pencil blue pied cock pictured known as "against the wind" a previous federation winner. Every bird treated the same so i will keep an eye on him. Will take him in the hand for the next three days and pop three pea sized cuts of garlic down his throat morning and night. And within three days we shall see if he is releasing the down as he should be, its something that usually does the trick. There is down in his box every morning, but his just got to much around his breast, which should part easily like the rest of his team to show the skin. Maybe being over critical but if all fed and watered, and exercise the same, they all should be in same nick.

I would like to thank the Scottish gentleman who was rapid with transfering his young birds he had off me, it was much appreciated.

6 well reared young birds ryan well pleased with them m8 :drinking-coffee-200:

Blue Star, failed to return from around the loft a few days ago, she has always been one of the heaviest hens we've ever owned, and with the hens flying with vigour, it makes me wonder if peregrine has finally caught her. She had a lucky escape last season returning with half her wing pulled out, which stopped her from going to thurso again. Its a gutter when proven pigeons especially at over 500 miles do not return, even more sickening when its from around the loft. With peregrine sites all around at the Excel center, canary wharf and the O2, they have to face the gauntlet.

post-607-14890476762869_thumb.jpeg

Blue Star, failed to return from around the loft a few days ago, she has always been one of the heaviest hens we've ever owned, and with the hens flying with vigour, it makes me wonder if peregrine has finally caught her. She had a lucky escape last season returning with half her wing pulled out, which stopped her from going to thurso again. Its a gutter when proven pigeons especially at over 500 miles do not return, even more sickening when its from around the loft. With peregrine sites all around at the Excel center, canary wharf and the O2, they have to face the gauntlet.

[/quote

that is a shame Ryan :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

2016 Young Bird of the Year East London Federation is photographed hoping to get this cock in the photobox before the weekend.

Around the loft the birds are putting in their shift each day and their actions are telling me everything is good, so weather permitting the basket may come out starting at the weekend. All birds still being fed 100% barley, with naturaline in the drinker.

The blue pied cock who had the garlic treatment due to feathers not parting as the rest of the team due to holding of down, is on par with the team now so i am more then happy, that an old tip from my friend Frank Tasker paid off once again.

The young birds in the nest from the stock team are actually starting to look like pigeons now, and im looking forward to weaning them. Their seems to be a lot of dark chequers amongst the team this year, with a few dark pieds, shouldnt have favourites but i have soft soot for dark pieds.

When to go to the local shop to get some hemp, unfortuantely the shop was closed, so the cocks will have to have an alternative on their box waiting for them after their exercise period, just for a few days.

One thing ive noticed with the new loft, is how much more relaxed the widowhood hens seem to be, in the previous loft they didnt seem as content as they are now, lets hope thats a sign of an extra bit of love of home, which can add a few extra yards per minute come race day.

post-607-1489586915782_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wiley

2016 Young Bird of the Year East London Federation is photographed hoping to get this cock in the photobox before the weekend.

Around the loft the birds are putting in their shift each day and their actions are telling me everything is good, so weather permitting the basket may come out starting at the weekend. All birds still being fed 100% barley, with naturaline in the drinker.

The blue pied cock who had the garlic treatment due to feathers not parting as the rest of the team due to holding of down, is on par with the team now so i am more then happy, that an old tip from my friend Frank Tasker paid off once again.

The young birds in the nest from the stock team are actually starting to look like pigeons now, and im looking forward to weaning them. Their seems to be a lot of dark chequers amongst the team this year, with a few dark pieds, shouldnt have favourites but i have soft soot for dark pieds.

When to go to the local shop to get some hemp, unfortuantely the shop was closed, so the cocks will have to have an alternative on their box waiting for them after their exercise period, just for a few days.

One thing ive noticed with the new loft, is how much more relaxed the widowhood hens seem to be, in the previous loft they didnt seem as content as they are now, lets hope thats a sign of an extra bit of love of home, which can add a few extra yards per minute come race day.

Could you tell us more about the frank tasker tip ryan thanks

Will take him in the hand for the next three days and pop three pea sized cuts of garlic down his throat morning and night. And within three days we shall see if he is releasing the down as he should be, its something that usually does the trick. There is down in his box every morning, but his just got to much around his breast, which should part easily like the rest of his team to show the skin. Maybe being over critical but if all fed and watered, and exercise the same, they all should be in same nick.

Basically that Rainman, it is explained In the original Best of British featuring Frank and Geoff Kirkland, better then what i can

When do you remove the barley prior to your first race? Do you use hemp from the first race or do you bring it in for a special race?

Dal, they come of barley the saturday before the first race....and hemp is used every single day after their exercise just a pinch that is now and throughout the season

Dal, they come of barley the saturday before the first race....and hemp is used every single day after their exercise just a pinch that is now and throughout the season

Can too much hemp be given ?

If so how much is too much ?

How did you find out ?

Looking forward to your reply, always interesting reading in this thread

Reading some posts about the boss and pecking order in the loft, well we all know their is a pecking order in all walks of life but in a pigeon loft, this doesn't always indicate the best racers/breeders. Some might think that the birds fighting all the time and bullying others are at the top of the tree well this is not the case in pigeon racing. The ones fighting are trying to get up the ladder as they are not at the top, they are trying to get credibility in the loft. The pigeons that are quiet and never interfered with by others are the bosses. Observe the bosses feeding on the floor and youll see the other birds walk around ( giving a wide berth )them whilst going to the feeder. I sit for hours observing wee details about pigeons in my loft and like to know whos at the top of the pecking order. I feel watching them is better than handling them . Im enjoying your thread Ryan, its interesting how preparations differ all over the country. Obviously the climate down there is much better than our baltic conditions lol. Well done m8 :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Can too much hemp be given ?

If so how much is too much ?

How did you find out ?

Looking forward to your reply, always interesting reading in this thread

Bluey,

In my opinion no, as i also supplement the feed with hemp oil every week. i will discuss later in the year what i do with hemp when the long distance events come around, but my opinion is no.

Reading some posts about the boss and pecking order in the loft, well we all know their is a pecking order in all walks of life but in a pigeon loft, this doesn't always indicate the best racers/breeders. Some might think that the birds fighting all the time and bullying others are at the top of the tree well this is not the case in pigeon racing. The ones fighting are trying to get up the ladder as they are not at the top, they are trying to get credibility in the loft. The pigeons that are quiet and never interfered with by others are the bosses. Observe the bosses feeding on the floor and youll see the other birds walk around ( giving a wide berth )them whilst going to the feeder. I sit for hours observing wee details about pigeons in my loft and like to know whos at the top of the pecking order. I feel watching them is better than handling them . Im enjoying your thread Ryan, its interesting how preparations differ all over the country. Obviously the climate down there is much better than our baltic conditions lol. Well done m8 :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Cracking observation big chap used to watch guys putting cash on cocks that would fight like .*expletive removed* in the race basket and what I would call hens acting like cocks . For me the money always goes on relaxed confident pigeon. These pigeons can sit down in the middle of the the race basket and only have to look side to side and not another pigeon will move near their space. :drinking-coffee-200: .

Cracking observation big chap used to watch guys putting cash on cocks that would fight like .*expletive removed* in the race basket and what I would call hens acting like cocks . For me the money always goes on relaxed confident pigeon. These pigeons can sit down in the middle of the the race basket and only have to look side to side and not another pigeon will move near their space. :drinking-coffee-200: .

For me Billy, its one of the biggest mistakes thinking a bird that is fighting in the race basket is the bird that you should pool. My philosophy is birds must go to the races in the most calmest state possible.

Del picked up a great point about observation, and you mentioned'pools'. I am a massive observer, of pigeons, i know individuals in the loft inside and out, and the biggest indicator of a bird telling you to pool it is a change in character. Something it doesn't do normally. The best example i can give is when 'The double fed winner', who was a fantastic sprint bird for me, and now probably my number 1 breeder, when he used to say 'PICK ME', he would want to get back into the young bird loft that he raced to, and would try on every exercise period. 'Nearly Frank' would in the loft spank his wings from one side of the loft just touch the floor and spank back, he was a quiet pigeon it was out of his character. 'Pied Vandenbrande' would tell me as he would roar in his box with his wings in the air....we could go on and on, but its important get to know your pigeons, and anyones pool birds picks become slightly easier.....However as i always say if your two minutes behind, your two minutes behind and was going to win .*expletive removed* all anyway, they must be up the front!!

you must have some time on yer hands bridge bhoy poor pigeons canny eat in peace its not all bout winning money :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

When you change to racing mix do you increase exercise? Do you feed in troughs or individual for cocks and hens......you have probably answered these questions but I canny be arsed looking for them.

Dal, when the mix will be changed the birds will be being trained to get them ready for the first race....we never let out twice a day anyway until we start prepping for 510 miles,it is always the one loft flight....no pigeons here are fed individually they are all fed communally, only feed they get in their boxes is the hemp on entry to the loft, and the peanuts which they must take from the hand after there feed.

and the peanuts which they must take from the hand after there feed.

The time to start preparing for this is while young birds are in the nest.

After putting rings on play with young birds beak, I do this twice a day while scraping out. They will never be afraid of your hands and when older and they know what peanuts are they will almost walk into your hand when offered up to them.