Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog.

Wiley

Why are you wanting your birds flying like that at this time of year Ryan ? What good does it do if you are wanting to peak them later in season? I know when they are split they will fly for the sake of it anyway as they are burning up nervous energy but to force them so early in the season doesn't compute with me. Different climate up here though m8 so that would make a difference imo.

Hi Del, i never force the birds to fly, they fly on there own free will, i would never force them to fly either del, i believe in love of home, they must want to get in and not get chased off..This is another reason when we do exercise our birds once a day but for a period of 1hr 30 minutes, the doors are closed for 45 minutes, and they are open for 45 minutes with what i call play....thats where they can spank about and come and go from the loft as they please, when the doors are open there is hemp waiting in there boxes, to actually encourage them in.

We are 8 weeks away from my first race del, i dont look for a peak in form, i expect to compete in every single race i enter, i look to compete from first to the last. I will start training them in the car roughly 1 month before the first race, built up gradually in miles, its something we just do starting from 11 miles .

Edited by Wiley

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Del, i never force the birds to fly, they fly on there own free will, i would never force them to fly either del, i believe in love of home, they must want to get in and not get chased off..This is another reason when we do exercise our birds once a day but for a period of 1hr 30 minutes, the doors are closed for 45 minutes, and they are open for 45 minutes with what i call play....thats where they can spank about and come and go from the loft as they please, when the doors are open there is hemp waiting in there boxes, to actually encourage them in.

We are 8 weeks away from my first race del, i dont look for a peak in form, i expect to compete in every single race i enter, i look to compete from first to the last. I will start training them in the car roughly 1 month before the first race, built up gradually in miles, its something we just do.

:smiling-scarecrow-329:

6 out of them races you would have held over pmsl

I see club mates birds train in seperate sexs for an hour at a time and always wonder why I have to flag mine round to get 20 minutes. I suppose it's the feeding and sometimes mine are out 3 times a day. An old fella once told me.....don't let them do their flying at home wait to the weekend

I see club mates birds train in seperate sexs for an hour at a time and always wonder why I have to flag mine round to get 20 minutes. I suppose it's the feeding and sometimes mine are out 3 times a day. An old fella once told me.....don't let them do their flying at home wait to the weekend

Feeding does play a part with exercise for sure dal....my birds are exercised in afternoons, so instead of most peoples routines i hear of giving a light feed (quantity) of a morning, and a bigger(quantity) of feed in the afternoons...mine is reversed. Bigger quantity of feed in the morning, as ill get a better exercise from them when they are exercised in the afternoon. Follwed by small quantity in the evening. But at the moment they have young and get as much as they require.

Racing my birds natural I feed five times a day when racing. Before and after am and pm exercise also mid day. As long as they fly 20 minutes minimum I am happy. Towards the end of the week as fats/energy grains and seeds are increased they will fly for up to an hour sometimes more. It is the way they exercise rather than the length of time that is more important to me. When I see them tumbling and swirling through the sky, like young birds in the early stages of learning to fly, then I know they are fit to race.

Racing my birds natural I feed five times a day when racing. Before and after am and pm exercise also mid day. As long as they fly 20 minutes minimum I am happy. Towards the end of the week as fats/energy grains and seeds are increased they will fly for up to an hour sometimes more. It is the way they exercise rather than the length of time that is more important to me. When I see them tumbling and swirling through the sky, like young birds in the early stages of learning to fly, then I know they are fit to race.

if you are in a poistion when you are away at work 10/12 hours a day.. feeding like that is not possible

if you are in a poistion when you are away at work 10/12 hours a day.. feeding like that is not possible

Although I am retired the timings are based on my wifes working hours of 8 00 am until 4 00 pm so she can stand in if I am otherwise occupied. I think of it as hopper feeding by hand. It could be adapted to a four times a day feeding system to suit someone with out help or the chance to feed mid day. I must add the feed is measured so they only get what I think is required. Giving a small amount before exercise I think helps the pigeons fly a little longer before wanting to come in for feed. It works for me.

Remember the saying fat pigeons cannot fly, hungry pigeons will not.

remember talking to a top top fancier who used to feed every time he went to his loft not much food but very very often

I think he called this system ( biting them ) as they got a little bit every time

this fancier raced verry well

Bet his birds trapped excellent also, the association with him and food would have been phenomenal

Time caught up with me today, had a buisness meeting, followed by building the last of the steps for the loft..cleaning out all the lofts, and bathing all birds in the avairy, time just ran away with me. They will be out tomorrow 100%, shame as today was a cracking day.

Other news is that i got my good slatey cocks photos edited and hopefully the finished article will be on here tonight. Edited photos are not everyone's cup of tea, but i was really happy with what ive seen of it so far.

Had birds out today they flew for just over the hour, with the sky grey and the temperature dropping slightly was pleased. The weather is supposedly on the change from thursday onwards with a storm expecting to hit, well see as the weather man hasnt been that reliable as of late.

Will hav to order some Sedochol from Tollisan soon, as my own young birds when they are ready will go on sedochol and naturaline in the drinker most days, while they are on the darkness. Its something i tried last season on the experiement team and i felt at least it made a difference.

The Kris Van Massenhoven cock (Danny Van Dyke and Dirk Van Den Bulcke Blood) purchased at Blackpool seems to have finely settled down now, and seems content and ready to pair, so he will go with my daughter of Sticker Donckers Superman, who has bred me some good pigeons in the short time she has been here, including 4th Open Essex & Kent Amalgamation. I've attatched his photo and the hen who i intend to pair with him sire.

Ive found the Danny Van Dyke blood to blend really well with that of Sticker Donckers in the past, and the sire of The Young Bird of the year 2016, is exactly that being a grandson of both Wonderboy and Kanon.

Was thinking a lot about pairing lately, and was wondering if old hands strain makers way held weight. Its unusual for me to look at an idea from the past, however i am always willing to learn. Below is old hands belief, be interesting to hear your own thoughts..

post-607-14877025040542_thumb.jpeg

post-607-14877026286847_thumb.jpeg

post-607-14877026981451_thumb.jpeg