Pigeonbasics Forum: Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog. - Pigeonbasics Forum

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog. Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 20 February 2017 - 18:43 PM

View Postpeter dempsey, on 19 February 2017 - 21:58 PM, said:

remember talking to a top top fancier who used to feed every time he went to his loft not much food but very very often
I think he called this system ( biting them ) as they got a little bit every time
this fancier raced verry well

Bet his birds trapped excellent also, the association with him and food would have been phenomenal
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#42 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 20 February 2017 - 18:59 PM

Time caught up with me today, had a buisness meeting, followed by building the last of the steps for the loft..cleaning out all the lofts, and bathing all birds in the avairy, time just ran away with me. They will be out tomorrow 100%, shame as today was a cracking day.

Other news is that i got my good slatey cocks photos edited and hopefully the finished article will be on here tonight. Edited photos are not everyone's cup of tea, but i was really happy with what ive seen of it so far.
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#43 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 20 February 2017 - 20:16 PM

Finished photo

Attached File(s)

Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#44 User is online   Blue Chequer Pied 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 20:19 PM

Looks great mate well done 🖒
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

#45 User is offline   scott mca 

• Hatchling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationForth
  • Club:Carnwath

Posted 20 February 2017 - 23:19 PM

Some racing record very well done

#46 User is offline   Delboy 

• High Ranking

Posted 20 February 2017 - 23:26 PM

topper of a bird, very consistent Ryan
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#47 User is offline   Froog 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Club:Mastrick

Posted 20 February 2017 - 23:37 PM

Brill pigeon, its what we all strive for. :drinking-coffee-200:

#48 User is offline   peter dempsey 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2017 - 16:11 PM

for attention Wiley , he had all the time in the world to feed the birds and be with them birds would be sretching there necks to get to him
he was worth his weight in salt ???????????????????????

#49 User is offline   jast 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2017 - 16:24 PM

very nice bird

#50 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 21 February 2017 - 18:45 PM

Had birds out today they flew for just over the hour, with the sky grey and the temperature dropping slightly was pleased. The weather is supposedly on the change from thursday onwards with a storm expecting to hit, well see as the weather man hasnt been that reliable as of late.

Will hav to order some Sedochol from Tollisan soon, as my own young birds when they are ready will go on sedochol and naturaline in the drinker most days, while they are on the darkness. Its something i tried last season on the experiement team and i felt at least it made a difference.

The Kris Van Massenhoven cock (Danny Van Dyke and Dirk Van Den Bulcke Blood) purchased at Blackpool seems to have finely settled down now, and seems content and ready to pair, so he will go with my daughter of Sticker Donckers Superman, who has bred me some good pigeons in the short time she has been here, including 4th Open Essex & Kent Amalgamation. I've attatched his photo and the hen who i intend to pair with him sire.

Ive found the Danny Van Dyke blood to blend really well with that of Sticker Donckers in the past, and the sire of The Young Bird of the year 2016, is exactly that being a grandson of both Wonderboy and Kanon.

Was thinking a lot about pairing lately, and was wondering if old hands strain makers way held weight. Its unusual for me to look at an idea from the past, however i am always willing to learn. Below is old hands belief, be interesting to hear your own thoughts..

Attached File(s)

Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#51 User is offline   Kyleakin Lofts 

• High Ranking
  • LocationLugton
  • Club:Barrhead and Valley Clubs

Posted 21 February 2017 - 19:11 PM

Ryan, Old Hand promoted standard Mendel's Theory line breeding. The theory still holds true. He also stated that close inbreeding could not be regarded as being close until that type of mating had continued for four generations. The most important factor in any breeding, but especially with all forms of line breeding, is to test the outcomes. The closer you breed, the stricter your culling has to be. Line / in breeding magnify the good points and allow a better prediction of outcome, but with all positives come a negative. It also magnifies the bad points, thus the need for stricter control. :)
Andy

#52 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 21 February 2017 - 20:04 PM

View PostKyleakin Lofts, on 21 February 2017 - 19:11 PM, said:

Ryan, Old Hand promoted standard Mendel's Theory line breeding. The theory still holds true. He also stated that close inbreeding could not be regarded as being close until that type of mating had continued for four generations. The most important factor in any breeding, but especially with all forms of line breeding, is to test the outcomes. The closer you breed, the stricter your culling has to be. Line / in breeding magnify the good points and allow a better prediction of outcome, but with all positives come a negative. It also magnifies the bad points, thus the need for stricter control. :)

I may try it in the summer, pairing the old slatey cock with two of his winning daughters, and retain a cock from 1 pairing and a hen from the other. To put the theory to the test, however retain these for stock, and mate them the following year, and see how the offspring perform.
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#53 User is offline   Kyleakin Lofts 

• High Ranking
  • LocationLugton
  • Club:Barrhead and Valley Clubs

Posted 21 February 2017 - 20:39 PM

Historically distance fanciers protected their families only bringing crosses in very rarely. I have known every cross YB and the original pigeons being eradicated because they did not come up to scratch. The fancier I scraped out for could tell by the colour and sex of the pigeon whether it would race or breed or do both. He was never wrong within my memory of his predictions. :)
Andy

#54 User is offline   JohnQuinn 

• Veteran of the Loft
  • LocationLanarkshire

Posted 21 February 2017 - 20:54 PM

Great blog Ryan, really hope ye manage tae keep it going throughout the season to read your thoughts as the races approach every week.
Tell the Truth and Shame the Devil.

www.LRPF.co.uk

#55 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 21 February 2017 - 23:56 PM

View PostJohnQuinn, on 21 February 2017 - 20:54 PM, said:

Great blog Ryan, really hope ye manage tae keep it going throughout the season to read your thoughts as the races approach every week.

I hope to buddy
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#56 User is offline   paddymac 

• High Ranking
  • LocationDerry

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

Cracking photos Ryan :)
Pat Mc Laughlin Brunswick Lofts

#57 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:47 AM

Wednesday and Thursday saw heavy winds, with a lot of local damage, so obviously the birds stayed confined to the lofts. We started to get the yearlings used to taking the peanuts now, many are taking them from our hands already as a lot of lines in our family are very tame, anyhow and i think its a trait that can be passed down, but for sure the small sections makes the pigeons tame, as they have no choice as we are on top of them.
Friday saw the birds fly just over the hour again. Today the race teams young birds will be weaned, and hopefully they are all independent by the time Walkers arrive on wednesday, for them to go to there new homes. They will be weaned onto 100% maples to make sure they take the large grains, as i feel this is an important life lesson early on as the small seed eaters in my experience are hesitant on the big grains, and generally ive found they are the first ones you tend to lose when going gets tough. My stock birds eggs all start hatching today with the last set to hatch on monday. When their young are weaned the first 3 days is 100% maples, then 3 days 100% maize, to reinforce that importance of big grains, and then a good breeding mix until i see them perching.
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#58 User is online   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 28 February 2017 - 14:22 PM

My thoughts wondered to the weight of a pigeon, something to be honest i have read little to nothing about......which i find strange as all racing animals are weighed and their weights published. Is the weight of pigeons a secret that the champions havent dared discuss? What is a birds ideal weight? Should different body structures be different weights? Many questions could be thrown in this process...i will weigh my birds if time permits this year, just to see if performance can be linked with it....does an individual pigeon have an ideal racing weight and when his at it he performs? Guess theres only one way to find out.
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#59 User is offline   paddymac 

• High Ranking
  • LocationDerry

Posted 28 February 2017 - 14:59 PM

Nigel Cowood is the man to contact for any of the information as to to weight of pigeons Ryan, might give you a guideline when it comes to weighing your own.
Pat Mc Laughlin Brunswick Lofts

#60 User is online   geordie1234 

• High Ranking

Posted 28 February 2017 - 15:05 PM

View Postpaddymac, on 28 February 2017 - 14:59 PM, said:

Nigel Cowood is the man to contact for any of the information as to to weight of pigeons Ryan, might give you a guideline when it comes to weighing your own.

:emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

This post has been edited by geordie1234: 28 February 2017 - 15:05 PM

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders