Pigeonbasics Forum: Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog. - Pigeonbasics Forum

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Wiley 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 18 February 2017 - 13:06 PM

Birds put in an excellent effort around the loft today, 1 hr 15 mins. Their work rate is gradually getting to where we want it to be....bath was filled up and they readily all jumped in. Im extrememly pleased on how clean the birds are looking wattle wise and skin colour/scale wise considering they are raising two youngsters. The skin is a lovely rosey pink, and the scale is of a minimum, and has that transparent look. So hopefully i have the foundations set to create a rising plain in the build up of the season.

Will just add that here, birds only exercise once a day in and out of the season, for those that are wondering why i am only stating 1 exercise time, and thought that a routine hadnt started, when i said it had :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Having to keep an eye in the stock loft constantly, as two hens for some reason have it in their head to visit other boxes, cannot afford to lose any of their eggs, so they may have to get boxed and rotated until they sort their heads out

This post has been edited by Wiley: 18 February 2017 - 13:10 PM

Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#22 User is offline   Rooster J. Cogburn 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2017 - 13:34 PM

I'm sure this thread will give the pb member a lot to think about over the coming months. I'm lookin forward to reading more about what you and George often hear me jokingly refer to as your budgie feed parakeet p # ish lol

I didn't think sticking pink minerals to the feed was at all unusual, but then again I'm not a cockney nut job :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Keep the blog up Rhino :smiling-scarecrow-329:

#23 User is offline   Uphill Lofts 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2017 - 15:34 PM

Interesting topic keep it going LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE.

#24 User is offline   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 16:34 PM

Exercise period didnt have the length but had all the intensity of the previous day, they only put in 50 minutes, but it was a very good effort, i think the weather affected the duration today, as the temperatures dropped slightly and wasnt so bright. However tomorrow they expecting temperatures of 17 degrees if weather man can be trusted, so would expect the performance and duration to be even better, but we will see about that tomorrow.

They are where i want them to be at the minute. I expect as other years have shown when the sexes get seperated, for a period of 24-72 hours the birds will tend to sulk. However from there they will really kick in a gear, and should be where we need to be, by my loft fitness date of 8th March.
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#25 User is offline   Delboy 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 17:54 PM

View PostWiley, on 19 February 2017 - 16:34 PM, said:

Exercise period didnt have the length but had all the intensity of the previous day, they only put in 50 minutes, but it was a very good effort, i think the weather affected the duration today, as the temperatures dropped slightly and wasnt so bright. However tomorrow they expecting temperatures of 17 degrees if weather man can be trusted, so would expect the performance and duration to be even better, but we will see about that tomorrow.

They are where i want them to be at the minute. I expect as other years have shown when the sexes get seperated, for a period of 24-72 hours the birds will tend to sulk. However from there they will really kick in a gear, and should be where we need to be, by my loft fitness date of 8th March.

Why are you wanting your birds flying like that at this time of year Ryan ? What good does it do if you are wanting to peak them later in season? I know when they are split they will fly for the sake of it anyway as they are burning up nervous energy but to force them so early in the season doesn't compute with me. Different climate up here though m8 so that would make a difference imo.
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#26 User is offline   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 18:23 PM

View PostDelboy, on 19 February 2017 - 17:54 PM, said:

Why are you wanting your birds flying like that at this time of year Ryan ? What good does it do if you are wanting to peak them later in season? I know when they are split they will fly for the sake of it anyway as they are burning up nervous energy but to force them so early in the season doesn't compute with me. Different climate up here though m8 so that would make a difference imo.

Hi Del, i never force the birds to fly, they fly on there own free will, i would never force them to fly either del, i believe in love of home, they must want to get in and not get chased off..This is another reason when we do exercise our birds once a day but for a period of 1hr 30 minutes, the doors are closed for 45 minutes, and they are open for 45 minutes with what i call play....thats where they can spank about and come and go from the loft as they please, when the doors are open there is hemp waiting in there boxes, to actually encourage them in.

We are 8 weeks away from my first race del, i dont look for a peak in form, i expect to compete in every single race i enter, i look to compete from first to the last. I will start training them in the car roughly 1 month before the first race, built up gradually in miles, its something we just do starting from 11 miles .

This post has been edited by Wiley: 19 February 2017 - 18:29 PM

Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#27 User is offline   Delboy 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 18:26 PM

View PostWiley, on 19 February 2017 - 18:23 PM, said:

Hi Del, i never force the birds to fly, they fly on there own free will, i would never force them to fly either del, i believe in love of home, they must want to get in and not get chased off..This is another reason when we do exercise our birds once a day but for a period of 1hr 30 minutes, the doors are closed for 45 minutes, and they are open for 45 minutes with what i call play....thats where they can spank about and come and go from the loft as they please, when the doors are open there is hemp waiting in there boxes, to actually encourage them in.

We are 8 weeks away from my first race del, i dont look for a peak in form, i expect to compete in every single race i enter, i look to compete from first to the last. I will start training them in the car roughly 1 month before the first race, built up gradually in miles, its something we just do.

:smiling-scarecrow-329:
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#28 User is offline   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 18:34 PM

What i would like to add del, if i was looking for a peak at a certain point I would do things slightly differently as you questioned also. That would start from the intial pairing dates.

This post has been edited by Wiley: 19 February 2017 - 18:35 PM

Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#29 User is offline   geordie1234 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 18:43 PM

17 degrees fs what does that feel like lol

#30 User is offline   greenbar 

• High Ranking
  • Locationsauchie
  • Club:clackmanan inv

Posted 19 February 2017 - 18:48 PM

Good stuff,interesting reading,keep it coming,😉

#31 User is offline   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 18:50 PM

View Postgeordie1234, on 19 February 2017 - 18:43 PM, said:

17 degrees fs what does that feel like lol

:smiling-sun: :smiling-sun:
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#32 User is offline   JonesyBhoy 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2017 - 19:01 PM

this blog could end up a cracker.. really looking forward to following it

#33 User is offline   dal2 

• High Ranking
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 19 February 2017 - 20:03 PM

View PostKing billy 2, on 19 February 2017 - 16:40 PM, said:

6 out of them races you would have held over pmsl

I see club mates birds train in seperate sexs for an hour at a time and always wonder why I have to flag mine round to get 20 minutes. I suppose it's the feeding and sometimes mine are out 3 times a day. An old fella once told me.....don't let them do their flying at home wait to the weekend

#34 User is offline   Wiley 

• High Ranking

Posted 19 February 2017 - 20:12 PM

View Postdal2, on 19 February 2017 - 20:03 PM, said:

I see club mates birds train in seperate sexs for an hour at a time and always wonder why I have to flag mine round to get 20 minutes. I suppose it's the feeding and sometimes mine are out 3 times a day. An old fella once told me.....don't let them do their flying at home wait to the weekend

Feeding does play a part with exercise for sure dal....my birds are exercised in afternoons, so instead of most peoples routines i hear of giving a light feed (quantity) of a morning, and a bigger(quantity) of feed in the afternoons...mine is reversed. Bigger quantity of feed in the morning, as ill get a better exercise from them when they are exercised in the afternoon. Follwed by small quantity in the evening. But at the moment they have young and get as much as they require.
Posted Image
BRITS AHOY

#35 User is offline   peter dempsey 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2017 - 20:15 PM

well done Wiley i look forward to your posts and hope it all pans out in your favour
also look forward to others input
rgards peter

#36 User is offline   bluey 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2017 - 21:26 PM

Racing my birds natural I feed five times a day when racing. Before and after am and pm exercise also mid day. As long as they fly 20 minutes minimum I am happy. Towards the end of the week as fats/energy grains and seeds are increased they will fly for up to an hour sometimes more. It is the way they exercise rather than the length of time that is more important to me. When I see them tumbling and swirling through the sky, like young birds in the early stages of learning to fly, then I know they are fit to race.

#37 User is offline   JonesyBhoy 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2017 - 21:32 PM

View Postbluey, on 19 February 2017 - 21:26 PM, said:

Racing my birds natural I feed five times a day when racing. Before and after am and pm exercise also mid day. As long as they fly 20 minutes minimum I am happy. Towards the end of the week as fats/energy grains and seeds are increased they will fly for up to an hour sometimes more. It is the way they exercise rather than the length of time that is more important to me. When I see them tumbling and swirling through the sky, like young birds in the early stages of learning to fly, then I know they are fit to race.

if you are in a poistion when you are away at work 10/12 hours a day.. feeding like that is not possible

#38 User is offline   peter dempsey 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2017 - 21:58 PM

remember talking to a top top fancier who used to feed every time he went to his loft not much food but very very often
I think he called this system ( biting them ) as they got a little bit every time
this fancier raced verry well

#39 User is offline   bluey 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2017 - 22:09 PM

View PostJonesyBhoy, on 19 February 2017 - 21:32 PM, said:

if you are in a poistion when you are away at work 10/12 hours a day.. feeding like that is not possible

Although I am retired the timings are based on my wifes working hours of 8 00 am until 4 00 pm so she can stand in if I am otherwise occupied. I think of it as hopper feeding by hand. It could be adapted to a four times a day feeding system to suit someone with out help or the chance to feed mid day. I must add the feed is measured so they only get what I think is required. Giving a small amount before exercise I think helps the pigeons fly a little longer before wanting to come in for feed. It works for me.

Remember the saying fat pigeons cannot fly, hungry pigeons will not.

#40 User is offline   eastcoaster 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationGreengairs
  • Club:Airdrie

Posted 20 February 2017 - 18:01 PM

Would,nt matter if wife was at home all day my birds still would,nt exercise , lol

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders