Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog.

Wiley

and the peanuts which they must take from the hand after there feed.

The time to start preparing for this is while young birds are in the nest.

After putting rings on play with young birds beak, I do this twice a day while scraping out. They will never be afraid of your hands and when older and they know what peanuts are they will almost walk into your hand when offered up to them.

Bluey, we have been doing this for years, also with the use of brewers yeast tablets that we give the youngsters in the nest every two days when on hard food, they are never scared of the hands. The bond with the hand, and the fancier imo can give you extra yards per minute as they truly love their home.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan I just took it for granted that all fanciers would introduce peanuts to their pigeons. But I now know that isn't the case.

I don't know if Frank 123 will remember as he is getting on in age :emoticon-0136-giggle: . But a number of years ago when he gave me a visit and we sat at the garden table a gave him some peanuts. And I think he was quite amazed with the reaction from the pigeons. :animatedpigeons:

Ryan I just took it for granted that all fanciers would introduce peanuts to their pigeons. But I now know that isn't the case.

I don't know if Frank 123 will remember as he is getting on in age :emoticon-0136-giggle: . But a number of years ago when he gave me a visit and we sat at the garden table a gave him some peanuts. And I think he was quite amazed with the reaction from the pigeons. :animatedpigeons:

They'll go through fire for them once they get the taste!!!

Totally agree, peanuts, are an amazing food for pigeons, my stock birds get a bowl in nest box every day while raising youngsters, pigeons know whats best for them, after weaned hand fed a few a day.

Froog, i had a fantastic year breeding when Asda sold bags of mixed chopped nuts, had all sorts in it walnuts, brazil nuts, red skin ect.....i always look out for it but they never seem to stock it any longer in my local one at least.

Another thing i used to use when rearing was fishmeal, the youngsters would come out nest exceptional and every one would seem to have an abundance of yellow down on em....i would still use it but constantly smelling if fish on my hands put me off, and the mrs kept accusing me of having an affair :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Froog, i had a fantastic year breeding when Asda sold bags of mixed chopped nuts, had all sorts in it walnuts, brazil nuts, red skin ect.....i always look out for it but they never seem to stock it any longer in my local one at least.

Another thing i used to use when rearing was fishmeal, the youngsters would come out nest exceptional and every one would seem to have an abundance of yellow down on em....i would still use it but constantly smelling if fish on my hands put me off, and the mrs kept accusing me of having an affair :emoticon-0136-giggle:

:emoticon-0136-giggle: you are not the 1st to be accused lol

The weather was to unpredictable to get their first training toss in today, however i could get the birds out seeing the cocks fly for 1hr 20 mins, and the hens doing 1hr 5mins.

Had a yb return she was lost at the young bird combine which was a particular hard race, she had a 4th club 13th fed when the loft took 1st,3rd, 4th and 13th federation. So will blind treat her and vaccinate her, and give her the benefit of the doubt, ive had birds like her repay me over and over, and she was very consistent as yb until her mistake.

Today saw the first training toss under way, went to what i thought was 16 miles the way the crow flies however using the crow flies app it appears it was 18....3 seperate libs, hens first, followed by 1 cock section, then the other.....all made excellant time. Weather looks unpredictable the next few days so will see how and when the next toss will be....

Moved over some young birds last night, as most of the stock are sitting their second round so these went into an empty section and will be darkened once i see they are perching, they filled themselves up on maples, and only one took to the drinker when dipping their heads so the rest must know where it is..

post-607-14901176451968_thumb.jpeg

Today saw the first training toss under way, went to what i thought was 16 miles the way the crow flies however using the crow flies app it appears it was 18....3 seperate libs, hens first, followed by 1 cock section, then the other.....all made excellant time. Weather looks unpredictable the next few days so will see how and when the next toss will be....

Moved over some young birds last night, as most of the stock are sitting their second round so these went into an empty section and will be darkened once i see they are perching, they filled themselves up on maples, and only one took to the drinker when dipping their heads so the rest must know where it is..

-1 here this morning......am going leave training a while lol

So far behind this year it's unreal...babies just hatching out under the race team...snowing yesterday...drinkers full of ice this morning.....I might be ready for the 1st race in June :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Today saw the third toss of the year for the cocks.....the hens have been on the local transporter since monday so theyve had a few extra then the cocks. Sunday saw me nazaline the birds, and a blind treatment for respiratory infections, as i like to make sure the airways are completely clear before the season commences. This sunday will see me smoke bomb the loft, so we are ready for the off. The birds are bouncing at the minute but really need to rely on better weather to get the work into them, weve never been so ill prepared for a season for many years. The cocks have had 1x16 mile and 2x27 mile, im considering going 47mile tomorrow weather permitting but well see, but maybe it might be to much of a jump considering we normally go 5 at 27 mile before we consider it.

The young birds when let out today went up like little dots and headed for the river thames, resulting in them returning all day long, with one short before darkening. What a learning experience for them, but can guarentee they wont journey as far tomorrow. These have only really just started to get up so happy that most are home. The one missing is obviously one picked out

Edited by Wiley

Training is going very well, and all race pigeons are currently on the feeding and watering system. I have been weighing birds regularly and this avenue may in the end be pointless exercise, however i feel it will be a very good tool for me to find out when individual birds reach their 'ideal fighting weight' so to speak, and so far im enjoying my findings, on how diet and exercise effects a birds weight, however i will discuss this later in the year when i can back up my findings or not.

Its now time to get the fat of the first round of young birds so the barley content in their feed has been increased. As was said the day they went for the thames, they hvent gone since, however the one that was missing returned the next day with a suspect bop wound. Recently took a video in the loft and showed a few fanciers my young birds and all commented on how tame they was. My family are relatively a tame bunch and a lot seems bred into them, i think its a great thing to have as the territory instinct is the best form of motivation a fancier can play, also influencing the love of home and that is something in this game that has never changed. They are currently falling to pieces on the darkness system. As i said well behind thi year, this time last season my young birds were having there second training toss!!

post-607-14913142445915_thumb.jpeg

How have you fed them all week? And what motivation has been used?

Jonesy,

I like to send my pigeons to any race calm as possible. This year the motivation has changed in one section due to the fact i can do things slightly different. The first section had the usual motivation, of being 2 hours with there partners....the other section had no motivation at all on friday just in to the basket like it was a toss, this section compiles of mainly yearling cocks byring two pigeons, their motivation was in place on wednesday and thursday this week, and is something i just want to try, they was tossed and returned back to the hens in the boxes but no contact. My mind thinking is they must associate basket, home, hen.....much like when i exercise birds when they see the doors open they know there reward of hemp is waiting for them.

Jonesy

Low protein on a saturday, high protein sunday little to no carbs or fats, monday protein, carbs and fats, tuesday wednesday diet consists of no protein at all, low levels of carbs but very high in fats, thursday and friday no protein in diet again, high in carbs and not as much fat as the previous days but still a good percentage.

What motivation tricks did you use before basketting?

U know better then anyone what i do :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Im sure i answered it two posts up geo, but are we talking about what is my plans are for the section of yearlings for the rest of the season?

Great start to the season racing to the new loft from 73 miles, winning 1st Newham club against 293 birds with my good hen Scratch, and 1st and 2nd Custom house club against 136 birds with my cocks, being the good son of the old slatey, and a previous fed winning yearling. Im very happy with the results especially since it is a new loft. All children from the said pigeons went to new lofts this year so hopefully the fanciers with them can also have success.

post-607-14916640698548_thumb.jpeg

post-607-14916641155507_thumb.jpeg

Great start to the season racing to the new loft from 73 miles, winning 1st Newham club against 293 birds with my good hen Scratch, and 1st and 2nd Custom house club against 136 birds with my cocks, being the good son of the old slatey, and a previous fed winning yearling. Im very happy with the results especially since it is a new loft. All children from the said pigeons went to new lofts this year so hopefully the fanciers with them can also have success.

well done , wishing you continued success :emoticon-0123-party: