The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

As Margaret and I met up with some lads from Pentland Hills federation when we arrived at Preston Station on our way to Blackpool these being Jim Moyes, Joe Allen, John Pryde and John Milne (see attached photograph). We also met up with them at the show and they also had a good weekend. However Joe Allen forgot his good leather coat and left it on the bus (work was being carried out on the railway lines from Blackpool to Preston) so we had to travel by bus to Preston which was the start of a downward spiral for Joe. As when he arrived home his wife Violet (likes to be called Vi) was not very well and had to be taken into Edinburgh Royal hospital. I hope by the time these notes appear in the magazine that she is now back home in Easthouses. I know all the lads along with us will wish Vi a speedy recovery. I have also included a picture of a happy John Bell of Ayrshire holding his Supreme Winner at Blackpool show of the Year. He is a credit to the show racer sport and to the Scottish Homing Union. While standing at the BHW stand waiting to meet a fellow fancier 2 of our feathered friends came along which caused a bit of a stir. As all the children loved seeing them and having their picture taken Margaret encouraged me to have one taken for the column but I don’t think this would have made a good 500 miler. I also looked out for Phil Gardner of Respiro San Dry as he did not manage to make it to the SHU show. However he was away at the bottom of the corridor and I pitied anyone who bought a tub of this produce had to carry it back to their hotel. I for one would not have managed this task and paid for it in advance so that it would be delivered by courier to my home address. I would hope the organisers address this for next year or I could see poor Phil not attending the show. It is all about sales when you run a stall and you have to put your items on display for people to buy. But if they have to carry a 10k bucket from the last stall in the show all the way to their hotel then they would rather not purchase these items. So for the sake of the fanciers who use this product and the others Phil sells I urge the planners to give this man a better venue to sell his goods. I swear by this product and use it especially when the weather is damp or raining I’m also a great one for putting it round my nest pans when after I have rung the babies with the yearly identification ring. This keeps the droppings dry and the smell from the product also helps them with respiratory. This year I’m going to try Phil’s 4 P’s which is Protein power and I will add this to the food when feeding the babies in the nest. I have also purchased some Trident 3 in 1 for young bird sickness and will give them this when I basket train them prior to taking them up to Kevin’s.

Don't think this will fly 500 miles

post-849-14866511255916_thumb.jpg

Top Sportsmen within our Sport

At the beginning of the year I highlighted the above subject and quoted John Lawrie of Cambusnethan and Morningside club. John contacted me at Blackpool show and supplied me with the following information. He is 61 years of age and has kept pigeons since he was 10 years old when he flew with his grandfather. He now flies with his son as J Lawrie & son. In 1971 the two local clubs Cambusnethan and Morningside amalgamated with 45 racing lofts competing on a weekly basis. John became the club secretary in 1972 and has held this position until the present time which is truly exceptional in the present climate, as he has worked under 6 presidents during this time. The club now has 23 racing lofts and is very competitive however the members value the work John does and made him an honorary member in 2011. He has also been setting clocks for the club for over 20 years and has also been the Lanarkshire Federation clock setter for approximately 15 years. He is also a member of the Lanark Social Circle for the past 15 years and won this famous organisation in 2016 with his dark chequer cock ‘Jock’s Lad’ a pervious 14th section E winner last year from the National Eastbourne race. He won 1st Newmains club, 1st Cambusnethan and Morningside club, 1st Lanarkshire Social Circle; 1st Lanarkshire Federation 715 birds, 1st West Region 69th open SNFC Ypres velocity 1032 flying 441 miles against 2324 birds. (See picture of ‘Jock’s Lad’ attached to article). Sire of Jock’s Lad was bred by Tom Richardson being a half-brother to his 1st section SNFC Eastbourne winner in 2009. These same lines produced Tam’s 2nd open Falaise winner and his 5th open SNFC Andrezel winner. The dam of ‘Jock’s Lad’ was a gift from double SNFC Gold Cup winner John Duthie of Dundee from his SNFC Gold Award winner who in turn is the sire of John’s SNFC Gold Cup winner. I have attached a photograph of John Lawrie taken at Blackpool and I thank him for all his cooperation in completing this feature.

I would like to cover more people like John so if you know anyone within your area who comes into this category then please let me know and I will give them some publicity within my column. If you can supply a picture of the person along with the relevant details the better. Anything of interest that helps me compile a short feature on each individual plus if you could also add a phone number all the better. You supply the important details and I will do the rest.

Good SNFC Birds

This week I highlight pigeons that have won 3 section prizes from the national with the first a chequer cock who won 3 times in the 2016 season, this was GB14F13419 raced by Morris Brothers David & Robert of Johnstone in Renfrewshire. He competed in the first inland national from Buckingham a distance of 301 miles and won 15th section F. Then 12 days later he was entered into the Littlehampton race a distance of 384 miles and won 14th section F. He was then sent to the last old bird race of the season from Roye on the 14th of July sitting on his first pair of eggs of the year which were due to hatch and this was the motivation for heading home from the distance of 521 miles to win 1st section F and be 94th open from an entry of 1135 birds. The chequer cock’s sire was bred by W Graham and was purchased at the SNFC young bird sale. Dam of chequer cock was a daughter of Archie winner of 2 x 1st region F when he was mated to Lucky Girl also a twice winner of 1st region F.

We now come to a chequer a slatey chequer cock SU14AV 3882 raced by John Hadfield of Blackburn as a yearling he won 61st section D from the Portsmouth race point with 4767 birds competing and he was flying 364 miles. In 2016 he scored from 2 nationals with the first from Littlehampton a distance of 373 miles and won 50th section D 418th open he then went to Ypres and won 19th section D 135th open flying 440 miles.

Travelling north over the Firth of Forth and Tay we come to Dundee to the loft of Hansen Brother whose chequer white flight cock SU12DF 2374 has also won 3 times in the national. Starting in 2015 he won 72nd section C 278th open from the Portsmouth race point flying a distance of 398 miles. That same year he was sent to the last old bird race of the season from Clermont and won 20th section C 52nd open then last year 2016 he won from Littlehampton a distance of 406 miles being 97th section C 394th open.

To the above fanciers and their birds we congratulate them on their performances and wish them all the best for the new season ahead in 2017.

David and Robert Morris

post-849-14866514516353_thumb.jpg

Jock's Lad' winner of 1st West Region SNFC Ypres for John Lawrie & Son

post-849-14866515581916_thumb.jpg

John Lawrie

post-849-14866518799372_thumb.jpg

John Bell with his Supreme Champion

post-849-14866518432856_thumb.jpg

Obituary

Cath Shanley of Kirkcaldy: wife of the late Pat who was a club mate of mine in Novar Homing Society. We met Mary and Jock King while shopping and they informed us that Cath had passed away on Sunday 22nd January 22 aged 85 years. She was a much loved mum, gran and great-gran; the service was held at Kirkcaldy Crematorium on the 31st of the month. We send our heartfelt condolences to the family at their sad loss.

Joe’s Joke

A man joins a soccer team and his new teammates inform him, "At your first team dinner as the new guy, you will have to give us a talk about sex." The evening arrives and he gives a detailed, humorous account of his sex life. When he got home, his wife asked how the evening went and not wanting to lie, but also not wanting to explain exactly what happened, he said, "Oh, I had to make a talk about yachting," his wife thought this a little peculiar but said nothing more and went to sleep. The next day she bumped into one of his new teammates at the supermarket and asked, "I heard my husband had to make a speech last night. How did it go?" His mate said smiling, 'Oh, it was excellent! Your husband is clearly very experienced!" The wife looked confused and replied to his mate, "Strange, he has only done it twice and the second time he was sick."

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy