Advice On Sections

ally mac

This is what Ive come up with as best use of loft space.

would plan boxes for 30 cocks and hens, racing roundabout so sliding door between cocks and hens sections. Infact sliding doors between all sections for flexibility and to let hens use the closest yb section to give more room at start of season but as hen numbers dwindle and ybs increase then it will become yb section.

Any advice, better ideas. All thoughts appreciated :)

post-1944-14858042789295_thumb.jpg

My loft is similar but with a corridor running all the way through.

I have stock, yb section, yb section, hen section, cock section and cock section.

I like to be ontop of the birds ally they are much more tamer and calmer and i feel they have more love of home

Hens need very little space btw but its down to the individual just something ive found.

was hoping for around 50 or 60 racers, 50 youngbirds and 10 or twelve pair stock. Though will keep numbers to suit the loft. It will have a pent roof sloping front to back and will build ventilation into it as well as low level vents at the front. The front metre or so will be clear sheets full length of the loft.

I would have thought in your first drawing the hens should be at the Stock end to keep them as far away from the cocks as possible, but Wiley knows best, so perhaps it doesn't matter this much. Also, if you have two YB sections, it allows for two rounds, both kept separate.

For me, your second drawing doesn't have the same flexibility. :)

Edited by Kyleakin Lofts

I would have thought in your first drawing the hens should be at the Stock end to keep them as far away from the cocks as possible, but Wiley knows best, so perhaps it doesn't matter this much. Also, if you have two YB sections, it allows for two rounds, both kept separate.

Your keeping all your birds in one loft andrew, is just the same as keeping em in different lofts in the garden, pigeons hearing is much better then ours, they will hear the opposit sex no matter where they are situated. However in my loft design my hen section is the only section without clear roof tiles purposaly so the hens stay much quieter.

post-607-14858263664806_thumb.jpeg

Was thinking hens next to cocks for Roundabout Andy. First one for me too as it has more flexibility, just need to be realistic about numbers, probably being too optimistic

Your keeping all your birds in one loft andrew, is just the same as keeping em in different lofts in the garden, pigeons hearing is much better then ours, they will hear the opposit sex no matter where they are situated. However in my loft design my hen section is the only section without clear roof tiles purposaly so the hens stay much quieter.

Thanks Ryan. :)