The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

I spoke about articles written by some of the top Scottish fanciers in the 1955 BHW Stud Book and I start with; ‘My Kingdom’ by Davie Fowler of Methil who won 1st open SNFC Rennes in 1954. He starts off with ‘When I was asked to write an article in the Homing World Stud Book, I was in two minds. It is so easy to relate to one’s experiences but so difficult when penning the words. However, my small contribution may bring something to light, but I have no secrets and my success has come to me through patience, and love of my birds. My Kingdom is not in spacious surroundings but in a homely back garden behind 64 South Street Inner Leven Methil. My pride and joy is my moderate loft, or as we say in Fife ‘My Crib’ and the feathered friends housed within. It was in 1931 that I built my two compartment loft in the garden of my brother in law and although different tenants exist today ‘my crib’ still stands were it was built. I have won a fair share in racing first with the East Fife Federation and later with the Fifeshire Federation. In 1933 I won the Smith Trophy presented for the Weymouth old bird race. Altogether I won it 4 times. (I also had my first win in the sport from Weymouth Joe Murphy) The usual time of mating my birds is during the second week of March if the weather is good, and providing my work allows me to see no mishaps occur. Normally I only rear one round and I have never had success with late-breds. I feel one needs time and extra space for late-breds. Late youngsters are reared to bring some birds into the fettle I need, but these are not rung and disposed of later. What I mean by ‘Fettle’ is the condition the bird will fly best to and only experience can tell you that.

Main feeding is Tasmanian maples and tic beans, and the droppings are carefully watched. Droppings I consider are the key to condition; it is often stressed that droppings should be firm – it can be stressed again. Droppings should be firm and dry up quickly leaving no sour or musty smell in the loft. Beans are added to my birds diet when the occasions demands, and also when race distance increase. I have no secret devices, pills or special feed preparations, no tonics are used, and the only titbits are the occasional pick of rice and canary seed. Grit is important I feel and although my birds can get if from the seashore, I also have in the loft two containers of grit. There then is the feeding, simple and straight, maples and beans and more beans for the longer distance races.

1954 was the best year for flying exercise round the loft, my birds get half and hour in the evening. When let out they make for the sea shore and may settle for two or three minutes, they find some satisfying morsels then then come back over the loft. A few youngsters are let up to keep the old birds on the wing and fifteen minutes later others are let up to keep the speed going. A point here, I never let out driving cocks when exercising. Before the old bird racing commences, the birds are tossed up to within 30 miles of the first race point, and as long as the birds keep condition they are kept racing. Youngsters are trained as soon as opportunity presents itself, and a gradual increasing of distance is preferred rather than hit or miss tactics in big jumps. They are trained out as far as Heriot, some 20 miles from the first race point. All young birds are raced to Stafford but must be really fit, no doubtful bird is raced or if it is bare in the moult. I would like to introduce my companion, Willie Aitken who has been constantly around throughout the years of my flying. Willie handles all my birds, and knows each one as well as I do. We sometimes differ on the merits of birds and what to put the money on, but usually our pooled knowledge benefits in the end. When Willie is at the loft and I am working, he can spot little features that I would otherwise miss and that is why at every chance I am always in my Kingdom, not as a King but a slave to my birds.

Finally you make wonder about my Scottish National winner, blue cock SURP51F 5904 ‘The Lone Fifer’. He was race from Riccarton, Penrith, Lancaster, Stafford and Worcester before the Rennes event. He was given a youngster after sitting the full number of days, and at the time of basketting the youngster was nine days old. There was no soft food in him and he lost nothing in condition by feeding. He had three full flights up when sent to the race point and he was bred from bird obtained from D Simpson of Milton and D Stewart of Springfield.

D Fowler SNFC Winner 1954

Barcelona Winners

Some news from my dear friend John Tyerman who wrote ‘Hi Joe, Last Saturday Linda and I went to the British Barcelona Club Annual Presentation at Bournemouth with Ian and Nigel. The Crammond and Langstaff partnership had won the highly prestigious Barcelona race, (flying 669 miles) with a cock bred from a Wim Muller crossed Van Der Wegan pairing. I think it would be fair to say that this was the most difficult Barcelona International race flown in the past 20 years. Ian and Nigel received a standing ovation from the 150 people present and I enclose some photos that you might like for your column. As I know that you have a lot of respect and admiration for both these fanciers as well as being good friends of them. The photos were taken by Carol Welch who flies along with husband Tony in a very successful partnership at our Chichester Club. Also at the table were top fanciers Darren McFadden, Mark Gilbert, Doug Gatland and Roger Lowe. We had a very enjoyable evening and Ian was in excellent form despite his ongoing health issues. Hope all is well with you and Margaret regards John T’. My thanks to John for the information and photographs and it was good to see my dear friends happily enjoying themselves well done to Ian & Nigel on a fantastic season.

Four friends enjoying a night out

post-849-14818220796126_thumb.jpg

Ian Crammond and Nigel Langstaff with trophies won

post-849-14818222416187_thumb.jpg

John & Linda Tyerman

post-849-14818222535597_thumb.jpg

SHU Trophy Winners 2016

Continuing highlighting the SHU trophy winners we come to the best performances in racing of old birds up to 300 miles, winning the CELTIC CUP are the father and son partnership of Angus Orr & Son of Brightons in Central Scotland. Their chequer cock known as ‘Kevin’s Choice’ was raced into the North West Federation with Laurieston Homing Society won the following positions during 2016 season. From the Kelso race flown on 16th April he won 1st club 1st federation flying 56 miles against 1075 birds and recorded a velocity of 1220. The following week from the Otterburn race with 1694 birds competing he won 9th club 19th federation recording a velocity of 1181 for the 90 miles. Then on the last Saturday in April (30th) from the Appleby race point a distance of 110 miles ‘Kevin’s Choice’ won 2nd club 2nd federation 1633 birds; 2nd Central Scotland Combine 3850 birds with a velocity of 1293. Then on the 8th of May from the Ripon race a distance of 155 miles he was again to the front being 2nd club 2nd federation from 1553 birds and was 7th Central Scotland Combine 4239 birds with a velocity of 1697. The very next week from the Wakefield race a distance of 184 miles he won 2nd club 2nd federation 2nd Central Scotland Combine 3270 birds doing a velocity of 1222 and finally from the Newark race a distance of 232 miles he won 11th south section 16th North West Federation open from an entry of 804 doing a velocity of 1267 ypm. Our congratulations go to Angus Orr and his son Kevin (I’m assuming the pigeon is named after him – if not I’m sorry) however this pigeon proved to be on ‘Fire’ during this 6 week period at the start of the season and the partnership brought out the best of him during this time once again well done to you both.

We now come to the Unikon Trophy for the outstanding performance by a young bird is won by Willie J F Hay of Methil in Fife with his young cock who won 1st club; 1st federation; 1st Region C 267 birds; 3rd open 2084 birds SNFC Buckingham national flying 301 miles recording a velocity of 1678 ypm. We now move onto the next trophy winner who is Willie Hay’s son Dylan he won the following; The Duke of Edinburgh Trophy for the best Loft Performances Old & Young Bird Season for members or partnerships who are under 25 years of age is won by Dylan M Hay of St Monans in Fife. In his First Ever race on the 30th July Dylan took the first 5 positions in the club (timing in 13 minutes in front of the federation winner but beaten) On the 30th July from the Fife Federation Berwick race he won 4th club flying 42 miles recording a velocity of 940. The following Saturday 6th August he won 1st club 1st east section 1st open Fife Federation Alnwick flying 69 miles. Dylan raced his team out to the SNFC Young Bird national from Buckingham and just missed the result. Our congratulations go to Willie and his son Dylan on the above achievements with their birds.

The last trophy to highlight is the Annie Ross Bowes Memorial Trophy for the Fancier and Sportsman of the Year and this was won by George Pollock of Strathaven. Unfortunately I do not have any information on why the SHU select committee picked George however I send my congratulations on his success.

Regarding the British Homing World Trophy for the Lowest Winning Velocity in Channel Races was NOT won as there were no claims in 2016

Good SNFC Birds

This week I highlight 2 birds from north of the River Tay and 1 from south of the River Forth starting in Angus Federation with a household name within the pigeon sport none other than David J Liddle of Forfar with his chequer cock SU11AF 520. As a 3 year old he won 3 times in the Scottish National being 57th section C 228th open from Buckingham flying 330 miles he then went to the Maidstone race a distance of 401 miles and won 11th section C 49th open then from the last old bird race of the season from Clermont a distance of 549 miles he won 32nd section C 119th open. Then the following year he went to Portsmouth a distance of 408 miles and won 24th section C 98th open then this year as a 5 year old he was entered into the SNFC Gold Cup from Reims a distance of 588 miles and won 6th section C 21st open he can hopefully go on to win either a SNFC Silver Award or with good grace he can achieve a SNFC Meritorious Bronze Award.

Our next pigeon belongs to the partnership of J & L Alexander of Monifieth by Dundee with their chequer cock SU08DF 1539. This cock has won 6 times in the Scottish National Flying Club being 9th section C 156th open Marlborough in 2011 flying 352 miles. He never made the national results in 2012 however won twice in 2013 being 17th section C 161st open from Newbury a distance of 358 miles he was then sent to Maidstone a distance of 390 miles and won 73rd section C 227th open. In 2014 he missed the Buckingham open result by 2 place after flying 319 miles however that same season he was sent over the channel to the Ypres national and came up trumps as he won his best national position with a 4th section C 15th open flying 454 miles. Last year he won 190th open from Eastbourne a distance of 416 miles but no section prize. Then in 2016 he was back over the channel to Ypres and won 29th section C 75th open so requires One more section prize from over the ‘pond’ to gain his SNFC Silver Award and we wish the partnership all the best with him in 2017.

We now go south of the Firth of Forth to the town of Bo’Ness in West Lothian to find a blue bar cock SU13CA 1811 raced by J Thomson. This pigeon has done exceptionally well in national races as he has won 5 times in the space of 2 years. However he requires ONE more section diploma from any inland race next year to gain a SNFC Meritorious Bronze Award (winning 5 times from inland national races) and this is very achievable as he is still a relatively young pigeon. Last year 2015 he won 7th section D 109th open from Billericay flying a distance of 347 miles a few weeks later he was entered into the Portsmouth national a distance of 373 miles and won 40th section D 380th open. He was then entered into the Eastbourne race (should have been Ypres but due to problems at the ports race cancelled and inland race installed) he won 22nd section D (but NO open prize) racing 398 miles. Then in 2016 he won twice in the national being 46th section C 393rd open from Littlehampton a distance of 382 miles then he was entered into the Ypres race a distance of 447 miles to his home loft and he won 9th section D 100th open to gain is 5th SNFC diploma. We wish Mr Thomson all the best with his blue bar cock in the 2017 season.

Joe’s Joke

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly, her husband burst into the kitchen. ‘Careful,’ he said, ‘CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my gosh! You’re cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my gosh! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They’re going to STICK! Careful. CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL! You NEVER listen to me when you’re cooking! Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind? Don’t forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them. Use the salt! USE THE SALT! THE SALT!’ The wife stared at him. ‘What in the world is wrong with you? You think I don’t know how to fry a couple of eggs?’

The husband calmly replied, ‘I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I’m driving.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy