Conditioning New Birds

BANDIT

A question for the experienced fanciers............I have just bought 2 hens and when they arrived they were not in the condition i would have thought they should have been in....in no way would i put these in with my own birds at the moment...what would you treat them for and how would you bring them back into condition.these are 2008 birds.

A question for the experienced fanciers............I have just bought 2 hens and when they arrived they were not in the condition i would have thought they should have been in....in no way would i put these in with my own birds at the moment...what would you treat them for and how would you bring them back into condition.these are 2008 birds.

I would worm them for a start and keep an eye on the droppings 48hrs after and if they have round worms they will be easily seen in the droppings.

Ive been an advocate for treating for paratyphus for years, personally it would be my first port of call, with a good broad spectrum and that way we are also covering many different angles at the same time. After treating for this, i would give them probiotics for 7 days, follwed by the innoculation for pmv. These i feel are the most important.

Depending on the body condition of these birds id feed accordingly bandit on how you feel.

anyone else want to tell me how to bring birds into condition

Have they been in transit for two days ?. this itself could be the problem, they might not eat for a couple of days adding to the problem.

I would give them canker tablet strait away. Were they bought on a auction site, again being away from their own loft adding more stress

Are they almost finished the moult, if so you will know that they didn't rear late ybs, at 8 year old they might not lay next year.

Best wishes with them

A question for the experienced fanciers............I have just bought 2 hens and when they arrived they were not in the condition i would have thought they should have been in....in no way would i put them in with my own birds at the moment...what would you treat them for and how would you bring them back into condition.these are 2008 birds.

Did you see them before you bought them? hope you didn't pay much for them;if so send them back to where you got them and get your money back.Its very risky buying birds of that age and if they don't look the part you are better without them.At this time of year they should all look like champions,even although we all know most are just average.Don't like to see lads being ripped off.Good luck!

Have they been in transit for two days ?. this itself could be the problem, they might not eat for a couple of days adding to the problem.

I would give them canker tablet strait away. Were they bought on a auction site, again being away from their own loft adding more stress

Are they almost finished the moult, if so you will know that they didn't rear late ybs, at 8 year old they might not lay next year.

Best wishes with them

hi jim,

I bought them from a guy without seeing them properly just a bad photo i got them delivered up on the day...id assumed at this time of year they should be like diamonds. they have 1 and 2 flights to go each........ive treated for the usual and jabbed them plus given 2 baths...slowly coming round but not much weight on them.

Did you see them before you bought them? hope you didn't pay much for them;if so send them back to where you got them and get your money back.Its very risky buying birds of that age and if they don't look the part you are better without them.At this time of year they should all look like champions,even although we all know most are just average.Don't like to see lads being ripped off.Good luck!

seen them just in a bad photo.. i agree they should shine at this time of year..the guy that had them didnt keep them right as i found out.didnt cost a fortune and at 8 years old im taking a chance.... 1 pair of ybs off each of them would do me to race.

hi jim,

I bought them from a guy without seeing them properly just a bad photo i got them delivered up on the day...id assumed at this time of year they should be like diamonds. they have 1 and 2 flights to go each........ive treated for the usual and jabbed them plus given 2 baths...slowly coming round but not much weight on them.

What kind of nick are the new flights in? Fret marks will tell you if there have been recent problem. If they are on their last flights then no much of a problem

What kind of nick are the new flights in? Fret marks will tell you if there have been recent problem. If they are on their last flights then no much of a problem

My own birds handle well silky feel............these 2 feel dry a bit rough ..they both have dropped a flight since i got them on tuesday.

seen them just in a bad photo.. i agree they should shine at this time of year..the guy that had them didnt keep them right as i found out.didnt cost a fortune and at 8 years old im taking a chance.... 1 pair of ybs off each of them would do me to race.

Don't look bad in the photos,a wee pickle linseed and they will shine

hi jim,

Ive had and still got some birds when they come up on their last two flights they seem to go on the slim side just a little bit more than usual, if they are now improving

its a good sign.

hi jim,

Four days on Nifuramycin will sort them out . If you don't have this product let me know and I will give Geo a packet to forward to you :smiling-scarecrow-329:

Four days on Nifuramycin will sort them out . If you don't have this product let me know and I will give Geo a packet to forward to you :smiling-scarecrow-329:

After the race in season is finished doos should not be giving anything apart of fresh water and clean grub and grit anything not coming up to scratch should be pout in the bin there week and will go down early next season not unless you have a bad outbreak of something then you're in trouble for breeding and racing the next year always look at the back of your doos if the mat is tight and no marks your birds have had a good moult cheers all the best