Pro's And Cons Of Pairing Up Early

mcrobs

I have only been in pigeons for 3 years. The coming season will be my 4th. I normally pair up mid February but was looking at possibly breeding earlier this year to give older and hopefully stronger young birds. I fly on the natural system.

What are the Pro's and Cons.

Any advice welcome

I have only been in pigeons for 3 years. The coming season will be my 4th. I normally pair up mid February but was looking at possibly breeding earlier this year to give older and hopefully stronger young birds. I fly on the natural system.

What are the Pro's and Cons.

Any advice welcome

lf you are only parring stock birds up m8 there is no problem but if you pair youre race team to early they will be to far on in the moult by the time the longer races come about and the birds are not at there best

If you want to race full season and be competitive for full season you need them to hold the wing ,i use the darkness system to achive this and also use light later in the season to foolthem into thinking summer still here ,lights off at 11 pm.

Wiley why the 22nd is there a significans ??just asking .

If you race your youngsters on the natural system, and u wanted to go to every yb race it works exactly like the darkness system without having to manipulate the light the youngsters will have a complete body moult and it retards the wing moult not as good but similar to the darkness. Time the big races come around your youngsters raced and bred this time should only be 2 up, in comparisson with normal natural bred january feb march who will be 5 flights plus up come the big races and bald as a vultures

If you race your youngsters on the natural system, and u wanted to go to every yb race it works exactly like the darkness system without having to manipulate the light the youngsters will have a complete body moult and it retards the wing moult not as good but similar to the darkness. Time the big races come around your youngsters raced and bred this time should only be 2 up, in comparisson with normal natural bred january feb march who will be 5 flights plus up come the big races and bald as a vultures

I cannot pair up as early as 22nd November.If my maths are right that would be to early as we dont get rings until the start of January

I cannot pair up as early as 22nd November.If my maths are right that would be to early as we dont get rings until the start of January

Your ybs would be hatching around christmas day, ringing would be around 2nd January.

Most organisations when rings sre ordered direct arrive before the new year, and if ordered from your club are around the 27th december but its then in their hands if they hand them out. So it is possible

I am not telling you to do it but if you want to be competitive from 1st yb race to last racing natural it is an option for you

Your ybs would be hatching around christmas day, ringing would be around 2nd January.

Most organisations when rings sre ordered direct arrive before the new year, and if ordered from your club are around the 27th december but its then in their hands if they hand them out. So it is possible

I am not telling you to do it but if you want to be competitive from 1st yb race to last racing natural it is an option for you

Rings should not be issued until the New Year - they certainly aren't in the NEHU, and they have to be collected if you want them early January, you cannot get them before then, it may well be different for RPRA members, but poster is Scottish and I don't think their rings are issued until the New Year either

Rings should not be issued until the New Year - they certainly aren't in the NEHU, and they have to be collected if you want them early January, you cannot get them before then, it may well be different for RPRA members, but poster is Scottish and I don't think their rings are issued until the New Year either

Very different for RPRA and NWHU union members for sure sue, ill be honest i very rarely look at where a member is posting from as pigeons is pigeons no matter where they are raced the same can apply, but obviously ring distribution is slightly different

I believe the rings are collected at the SHU show or very soon after. This is usually around 10th December. Once in the hands of the Federation Secretary, they have to then distribute to the individual Club Secretaries.

I understand that all racing pigeons, like all race horses, are born on the 1st January and as such the rings should be available from then.

Allan, assuming I am able to collect the rings timeously, then they will be available for you to collect. It is then your responsibility to ensure they are not distributed to your Club members before 1st January.

Availability of rings having now been dealt with, could some of those more knowledgeable fanciers advise regarding early mating and the removal / splitting of the pairs to ensure the 2nd round eggs are not laid. I was informed that it is the laying of the 2nd round eggs that starts the wing moult. Have I been misinformed? :)

I believe the rings are collected at the SHU show or very soon after. This is usually around 10th December. Once in the hands of the Federation Secretary, they have to then distribute to the individual Club Secretaries.

I understand that all racing pigeons, like all race horses, are born on the 1st January and as such the rings should be available from then.

Allan, assuming I am able to collect the rings timeously, then they will be available for you to collect. It is then your responsibility to ensure they are not distributed to your Club members before 1st January.

Availability of rings having now been dealt with, could some of those more knowledgeable fanciers advise regarding early mating and the removal / splitting of the pairs to ensure the 2nd round eggs are not laid. I was informed that it is the laying of the 2nd round eggs that starts the wing moult. Have I been misinformed? :)

U are right sitting more then 10 days on 2nd round triggers the moult, widowers here only sit and rear the once, they never sit again till june time. Stock can breed all year yhough as they are not competing.

7th January is the SHU date unlesss I am mistaken. No volume of flannel can disguise this fact.

This is to ensure that the current crop of youngsters are born in the same year as the ring they wear.

I have known fanciers who had youngsters rung on 25th December with SHU rings.

if you mate to have youngsters in the nest during December then you may have no rings when they are required unless sourced else where. This has happened previously when delivery to the SHU was delayed.

7th January is the SHU date unlesss I am mistaken. No volume of flannel can disguise this fact.

This is to ensure that the current crop of youngsters are born in the same year as the ring they wear.

I have known fanciers who had youngsters rung on 25th December with SHU rings.

if you mate to have youngsters in the nest during December then you may have no rings when they are required unless sourced else where. This has happened previously when delivery to the SHU was delayed.

Just off the phone to Linda at SHU. I am correct and 1st January is the earliest issue of SHU rings by Club Secretaries. Apparently 7th used to be the date, but this was changed some time ago. :)

I dont want to turn this post into a debate about when rings can be issued. I simply wanted advice about pairing up early on the natural system as the advice i get from locals is do not do it. They cannot give me a reason for it but i think they have done it that way all there lives and do not like the idea of change or doing something different.

Just off the phone to Linda at SHU. I am correct and 1st January is the earliest issue of SHU rings by Club Secretaries. Apparently 7th used to be the date, but this was changed some time ago. :)

I stand corrected. I would never have thought the matter was sufficiently important to phone a friend.

It won't bother me as I won't need them till April.

I dont want to turn this post into a debate about when rings can be issued. I simply wanted advice about pairing up early on the natural system as the advice i get from locals is do not do it. They cannot give me a reason for it but i think they have done it that way all there lives and do not like the idea of change or doing something different.

Allan, it appears that if you pair early, but prevent them from sitting the second round for more than 10 days, then the moult will not start. This is only important for your racers, it doesn't matter with stock. At that time of year they usually lay the 2nd round eggs when the YB's are around 3 weeks old. A lot split them then, or just prior to laying the 2nd round eggs and leave a YB with each parent. If you then re-pair around race time to have them the way you want them for the particular races, they should hold their wing. :)

I stand corrected. I would never have thought the matter was sufficiently important to phone a friend.

It won't bother me as I won't need them till April.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong Robert, that's why I checked. :)