Getting Late Breeds Ready For The Racing Season

You'll get a mass of different answers. It all depends on your own situation and outlook.

I let them run all winter and train and race light during their first year.

Other will train them during October / November then give some early races.

Some will do the above, but send the to the later comeback races or as trainers to the YB races.

Just a few scenarios. :)

Hi I used to train late breds for the last few years but weaned one Oct 2016. He never saw a basket until yearling stage then 6 tosses then the first race of 100 miles. He was my 6th bird out of 70 sent. So I have decided not to train again until either yearlings or two years old. I had a hen which never went into the basket until 2 years old she is still here atb MJB

PS dont rush them is all I can say.

About six to eight short tosses and I mean short tosses Craig from say euro central or the equivalent is all they need in the year of there birth. Next year once again about six to eight tosses preferably with other pigeons ( mixed up) to about 30mile if you can and after that they are ready to go to the first race and if they are any good and can avoid the peregrine then five races to 250 miles.

You'll get a mass of different answers. It all depends on your own situation and outlook.

I let them run all winter and train and race light during their first year.

Other will train them during October / November then give some early races.

Some will do the above, but send the to the later comeback races or as trainers to the YB races.

Just a few scenarios. :)

thanks very much for ur reply appreciate it cheers

Hi I used to train late breds for the last few years but weaned one Oct 2016. He never saw a basket until yearling stage then 6 tosses then the first race of 100 miles. He was my 6th bird out of 70 sent. So I have decided not to train again until either yearlings or two years old. I had a hen which never went into the basket until 2 years old she is still here atb MJB

PS dont rush them is all I can say.

Thanks Michael cheers for ur reply really appreciate ppls input as im new i can take it all in and try my own strategy n see what works cheers

About six to eight short tosses and I mean short tosses Craig from say euro central or the equivalent is all they need in the year of there birth. Next year once again about six to eight tosses preferably with other pigeons ( mixed up) to about 30mile if you can and after that they are ready to go to the first race and if they are any good and can avoid the peregrine then five races to 250 miles.

Thanks Jimmy they are starting to range quite far a few were away for quite a bit today hopefully get a few small tosses from euro central in a few weeks once they are all up did Andrew tell u about the sparrowhawk today at ma bit a thought it was 1 of mine but luckily it wasn't

Thanks Jimmy they are starting to range quite far a few were away for quite a bit today hopefully get a few small tosses from euro central in a few weeks once they are all up did Andrew tell u about the sparrowhawk today at ma bit a thought it was 1 of mine but luckily it wasn't

Eurocentral to you will only be around 5 miles or so, but certainly no more than 10 miles. They'll be ranging much further. Once you start tossing, they will stop ranging. The basket is a mental thing, it gets their heads right. You need them to learn how to orientate, but I think they are better equipped to do that on their own. Mental training can wait as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know how many you have, but you could try splitting them to compare how your free ranging ones do compared to the mentally prepared ones.

The main thing is to develop a system that suits you and your personal circumstances. Make the pigeons fit in to your life and don't make your life centre on the pigeons. :)

Eurocentral to you will only be around 5 miles or so, but certainly no more than 10 miles. They'll be ranging much further. Once you start tossing, they will stop ranging. The basket is a mental thing, it gets their heads right. You need them to learn how to orientate, but I think they are better equipped to do that on their own. Mental training can wait as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know how many you have, but you could try splitting them to compare how your free ranging ones do compared to the mentally prepared ones.

The main thing is to develop a system that suits you and your personal circumstances. Make the pigeons fit in to your life and don't make your life centre on the pigeons. :)

Andy nae disrespect to you mate but Jimmy is at least 10 times the doo man you will ever be and i would listen to him 100%

Andy nae disrespect to you mate but Jimmy is at least 10 times the doo man you will ever be and i would listen to him 100%

Nae problem Alan. As I say, it's what suits your personal preference.

I don't know what the lad wants, but I'm sure there must be a fancier in Uddingston whose ear he has. If that is the case, then he should use that and trust it.

As I originally stated, he will get all sorts of answers on here. Perhaps it would have been better to say in my original post, that he should remove his post from here because it will only confuse him due to the conflicting information he will receive.

I did however credit him with some sense, that he was posting to receive different views and outlooks, to allow him to either compare this to his mentors advice or to while away some hours on the internet with trivial matters. :)

Nae problem Alan. As I say, it's what suits your personal preference.

I don't know what the lad wants, but I'm sure there must be a fancier in Uddingston whose ear he has. If that is the case, then he should use that and trust it.

As I originally stated, he will get all sorts of answers on here. Perhaps it would have been better to say in my original post, that he should remove his post from here because it will only confuse him due to the conflicting information he will receive.

I did however credit him with some sense, that he was posting to receive different views and outlooks, to allow him to either compare this to his mentors advice or to while away some hours on the internet with trivial matters. :)

Andy your reply's always gie me a wee chuckle but Jim has some great national performances mate

Alan, I well accept that I am a novice with pigeons, but I have life experience and fancier experience in other fields.

On an internet site, when someone posts a question, they have to accept many and varied replies from fanciers of all levels. It is then up to them to sort the wheat from the chaff. Not all my comments are chaff, even though they may not be the best of wheat.

I enjoy looking at the answers myself. I am of the opinion that we are always learning and I have more to learn than others.

I don't pose many, if any, internet questions myself. I prefer to listen to those fanciers whom I respect. Many of whom answer other people's questions posed on the internet. You also fall into that category as one who answers the questions.

I also have those to whom I speak in person in a private manner.

I'm sure even the top fanciers are able to find a gem when talking to another top fancier. :)

Edited by Kyleakin Lofts

Andy if we all folowed you no *expletive removed* would win a race pal yer tactics are sh** if i'#m honest

I haven't stated any tactics, just my treatment of latebreds. I normally breed around 18 and end with 12. I don't breed or race YB's. I have never won a race, so you are correct, my tactics are sh1te, but I enjoy it anyway.

As I said, it all depends on what rocks your boat. It is not a problem to me that I am not competitive, but in OB racing there were only 5 fanciers competing for the OB averages in my Fed. I was one of them, so you could say, I'm an average fancier. Let me also state there were only 54 fanciers racing in the Fed and the Fed is a sprint Fed. :)

james and i have been training ours from coalburn craig about 20 miles to us had 7 tosses with them but started to get hit again saw percy into them today but ill get it sorted before we go back up ill take the b team a few times that should help

Ive been very unlucky with my B team Walter, ive lost a few of them, but at least I managed to get my A team out of Dunbar ;)