The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

Received an email from John Barlow past president of the SHU who writes ‘Hi Joe, I know earlier in the season you have covered ‘Good SNFC Pigeons’ in your column and a great feature this is as you are highlighting some outstanding pigeons so more power to your pen. I think you have mentioned Billy Bilsland’s good blue hen ‘Welltower Margaret’ named after Billy’s sister. She was bred in 2013 her sire was a chequer cock who won 7th SNFC Maidstone in 2013 as a yearling. He was bred by Joe Gormley of Lenzie from his Super-crack bloodlines. The dam of Welltower Margaret was ‘Welltower Isla’ winner of 1st open SNFC Leicester young bird national in 2012. Welltower Margaret was bred in 2013 and I just wish to let you know she has scored 3 times again this season and has now won 8 SNFC diplomas and the amazing thing is she is only 3 years old. Her positions won are as follows: In 2013 she won 16th section B 17th open Leicester young bird national; 2014 she won 13th section B 14th open Maidstone and then won 36th section B 61st open from Ypres; In 2015 she won 5th section B 5th open Portsmouth when Billy took the first 6 open positions in the race. She then went on to win 5th section B 7th open from Eastbourne; This year 2016 she has won 76th section B 217th open Buckingham; 11th section B 28th open Littlehampton and then 13th section B 23rd open from Ypres. She will now win an SNFC Meritorious Bronze award for winning 5 times from inland races; however she has won 8 national diplomas from 7 different SNFC race points and is without a very special pigeon all the best John B’. I have attached a picture of Welltower Margaret mentioned above and ‘Welltower David’ winner of 1st open SNFC Ypres 2016 this winner is named after Billy’s good friend David Reed of Chainbridge Lofts as he is the breeder of the SNFC winner in fact David has bred 4 of Billy’s national winners. The dam of the Welltower David’s is a Gabby Vandenabeele and contains the bloodlines of ‘Pre Olympic’ one of Gabby’s super racing pigeons, and he was mated to his own daughter to breed the dam of ‘Welltower David’. The sire of David is ‘Welltower Neil’ the winner of 1st open SNFC Leicester young bird national in 2013 he contains the M & D Evans pair Jester and Carrie bloodlines. Welltower Neil’ is turning out to be an excellent stock cock.

Welltower Margaret

post-849-14703961383254_thumb.jpg

Welltower David 1st SNFC Ypres 2016

post-849-14703962275517_thumb.jpg

Another pigeon brought to my attention is the bird of Mrs Gracie Scaife and her cousin John Gardner of Brydekirk this 5 year old chequer Busschaert hen contains the Ron Williamson bloodlines of ‘Stud 74’ who was responsible for 40 x 1st open N.I.P.A winners. The chequer hen won 2nd section B 2nd open SNFC Ancenis in 2014 beaten by Craig Halbert of Eastriggs and low and behold Craig wins 1st & 2nd open Ancenis this year and the Scaife & Gardner chequer hen wins 3rd open. Truly a great performance by an outstanding pigeon to win 2 & 3rd open national in the 2 longest national races is excellent well done to the partnership.

Response

I received a number of phone calls and emails regarding my comments in my 19th July column with 95% of the people agreeing with what was written. HOWEVER I stated the following right at the start of the column -‘Now the SNFC officials and committee will not like what I’m going to highlight but believe me this is not ME speaking it is the members who are sick to death with what is happening to this great club. The majority of the fanciers whom I spoke to all highlighted the amount of losses we have experienced this year in National racing’. Obviously some of the south section fanciers did not like my comments regarding the Ancenis race (not one phone to say this to me but got a lad from the North East of England to call) Plus one official asked me to name the people whom I had spoken to which I refused to do also my comments about the south birds being spread out in the baskets. I was also accused of ‘Causing trouble’. As stated above I only emphasized what I was told by fellow fanciers and did not just make these up. Well let me tell you the majority of fanciers whom I spoke to said ‘You are only telling the truth but it seems that the truth – hurts’. I will give you just one example from an email sent to me.

‘Hi Joe I have just read your article and whilst I do not race the nationals, last year managed the last fed race before the national, as my federation races the nationals with the SNRPC. I was quite concerned when starting the fancy in 2009 because of the animosity I perceived between the warring faction the SNRPC and the SNFC. My very simplistic view of the situation was that the SNRPC debarred none whilst the SNFC debarred all non-SHU members. I have no knowledge, nor do I wish to receive the knowledge of the background to this dispute, suffice to say that in this day and age there are too many entrenched views and opinions which are serving the detriment of the fancy when we should be working to improve the fancy. You will also be aware that I also fly north with Ayrshire North Road Federation and this brings me to the main point of my email. We recently refurbished our trailer and, due to the knowledge gleaned from a conveyer's observations and because we transported some races with the NRCC, the design was altered to the one you commented on last year. Our pigeons now have water on both long sides of the crates, 34 drinking spots for 19 / 20 pigeons in the crates. The base of the crate is covered with cardboard / paper and a grill fitted above this means the pigeons are kept in a clean condition. We do have holdovers, but if we did the feeding would be put in the same vessels as the drinking water. I have heard the discussions regarding the National pigeons and commend you for highlighting this -surely changes must happen. Keep up the good work yours Andy Kyle’. Quite a number of fanciers also remarked about the use of federation transporters to take our birds to national races, especially concern is the number of birds being put into a basket plus the use of the small ‘blue’ drinkers attached to ONE end of the basket. This major must be addressed as the members whom I spoke to wish changes especially for the welfare of their birds and many stressed that the SNFC should change NOW to Geraldy transporters. With the majority of fanciers highlighting the LOSSES occurred during SNFC races this year. One fancier started of the season with 54 old birds he trains hard and sends his birds in 100% condition and he has been left with 4 old birds at the end of the old bird season. Will he continue to race his pigeon’s next year it depends on the young bird season but one thing for sure if there is No Change within the structure of the SNFC then he might not renew his membership next year?

NFC Tarbes

The NFC main event was held on Saturday 23rd July and my mate Guy Reed texted me to say that our good mate Mark Gower of the Mr & Mrs Gower partnership had timed on the day and was well in. On looking at this result is was outstanding to see that 7 pigeons were all section winners and the other section winners were also well placed in the open result. The winner of 1st section L 1st open is M K Locke of the Wirral flying 711 miles so well done to this fancier. 1st section P 2nd open is M Hope of Telford at a distance of 665 miles 1st section P 3rd open Tom Williams of Orpington flying 562 miles. 1st section B 4th open is Mr & Mrs Gower of Fordingbridge flying 540 miles. 1st section C 5th open is M A & S C King of Blandford Forum flying 535 miles, 1st section G 6th open is N Templar of Bristol flying 578 miles. 1st & 2nd section F 7th & 8th open is last year’s Tarbes winner Lloyd & Kelly of Abingdon flying 583 miles. 1st section K 9th open is P Curtis & son of York flying 736 miles with 1st section E 14th open R Besant & son of Worcester Park flying 563 miles 1st section A 16th open are P & L McMahon of Brighton flying 525 miles with 1st section L 18th open Alwyn Hill of Ilkeston flying 676 miles. 1st section H 46th open are T E & J Stygall of Norwich flying 652 miles; 1st section W 47th open Mr J Smale of Abergavenny flying 613 miles and 1st section D 230th open is Bob Brown of Plymouth flying 532 miles.

Guy also informed me that another good friend of ours Andy Parsons had timed in the following morning to win 2nd section B 29th open and Andy had a few in the clock in what was turning out to be a hard race. Mark Gower also sent me an email to say that he had timed in a cock we bred and sent down to him ring number 2229 he returned from Tarbes at 15-30pm and hopefully would make the open result. Guy also contacted me to say he also timed in with a red chequer cock that was missing for a few months as a young bird and turned up at the start of the following season. I said to Guy this would be the making of this pigeon and he kindly reminded me when he said ‘Aye he will make a good pigeon for you Laddie’ and we both burst out laughing. However it was good to see these friends and the leading pigeons showing their true potential in this testing Tarbes race well done to one and all.

Good Feedback

Mark Gower also informed me that he had timed in a yearling from Bergerac flying 434 miles to win 40th open from 950 birds in one of the classic races. This bird is a grandson of our 4th open SNFC Alencon winner flying 573 miles. The sire of the 4th open is also the sire of a pair of pigeons I sent down to Rob Glover of Earl Shilton in the Midlands. Rob informed me that he timed one of these blue hens to win 5th section 51st open MNFC Bordeaux race with 1700 birds competing flying 531 miles today 24th July. This hen has previously won 31st section 121st open MNFC Bordeaux last year and she also won 12th section (55 members sent 583birds) 53rd open (461 members sent 3923 birds) MNFC Ancenis this year flying 370 miles. All I need now is for Guy Reed to win with his ‘Scottish Joe’ pigeon next week from Bordeaux and it will be a foursome as John Tyerman the BICC president also won last year from Bordeaux with a bird I bred for him.

Results

Angus Federation

Arbroath RPS from the 1st young bird race of the season 3 members sent 48 birds liberated at 08:00 hours into a light south west wind. Taking the top spot in his first race in the club is Glen Cameron (son of Charlie) with club president Bill Dorward in 2nd place followed by A & A Shepherd. Kevin never sent this week as he has been ill and the youngsters have not had enough training.

Ayrshire North Road Federation news from Andy Kyle who informs us that the federation were racing from Arbroath on 26th June with 17 members sending 149 pigeons which were liberated at 06-30 with no wind at the race point.

Valley North Club winner and 1st federation with a winning velocity was 1218ypm is Mick Hilland with his pigeon a 3 year old dark chequer cock. Rod Wilson gave Mick pigeons when he moved away from this area. Their breeding is Vermotte x Janssen. As a matter of interest Mick’s 1st club 1st federation winner from Thornton young birds in 2015 was bred the exact same way as this cock, but from different nest.

Mauchline Club winner and 2nd federation on 1098 is Kory Galloway. His pigeon is a yearling black grizzle cock whose sire is "Boy George", a Starview Busschaert direct from J Duncan, his dam being a Kirkpatrick from Kerr Stainthorpe Kirkpatrick strain. The winner 1124 is a full sister of 04405 who as a young bird won Montrose in 2014 but was pipped to the post by 1 yard for 1st federation by J McWhirter.

Carrick Club winner and 4th federation on 1085 is Jamieson & Cameron; their winning pigeon is a yearling chequer pied hen. Her sire is a blue pied cock bought from Cumnock young bird sale bred by David Jamieson of East Calder, while her dam contains the blood of the famous Jan Aarden family from the House of Arden. She is a daughter of Young Boris and was un-raced as a young bird.

Cumnock Club winner and 7th federation on a velocity of 1071 is Alfie Lawrence with a 2 year old blue hen. She is bred from Gerry Clements Tracker lines crossed with Mark Gilbert of Southfield from his famous ‘Ted’ lines.

The Ayrshire North Road Federation once again attempted a race from Fraserburgh on 3rd July with 14 members sending 111 pigeons, but once again the weather beat us and we had to bring them back to Portlethen. They were liberated at 07.00 into no wind changing to West South West on route home.

Cumnock Club winner and 1st federation on a velocity of 1131 is Alfie Lawrence with his pigeon a 2 year old hen she is bred from Gerry Clements Tracker lines crossed Mark Gilbert of Southfield ‘Ted’ lines. This is the same that that won for Alfie last week, but has gone 6 places better to top the Federation this week.

Mauchline Club winner and 7th federation on 1106 is Drew Lymburn his pigeon is a 2 year old blue pied cock. His sire is a Louella Van Leeuwen when paired to an Andy Drummond Delbar hen.

Valley North Club winner and 8th federation on 1104 is R Dignam with a 2 year old chequer hen a Gabby Vandenabeele from James Bond lines. This pigeon won Arbroath mentioned above.

Central Federation

News from Bernie Britton of Broxburn Club’s first young bird race from Stobbs Camp with 4 members sending 198 birds liberated at 07-00 with no wind at the race point. 1st x 3 places are won by John McNeil with the winner a blue bar hen

¾ Gabby ¼ Hartog dam of this young bird won 4th section D 44th open Roye 2016. The 2nd bird was a red chequer hen Lambrecht bred by Gerry Rigney while the 3rd bird was a dark chequer cock out of the stock loft his sire is a grandson of Sanny’s Memory while the dam is a daughter of the same Sanny’s Memory and both birds have bred previous winners. Joe I would like to welcome a new member to our club John Muir and we look forward to seeing John on a weekly basis so welcome John.

East of Scotland Federation

News from press officer John Baillie of Tranent who discloses; It is now time Joe for our new hopefully generation of winners to start their careers. The first young bird race from Ridsdale with the East of Scotland Federation convoyed with the Pentland Hills Federation got off to a great start with very few losses. Hopefully with Pentland having their usual 2 Friday races from Ripon and Wakefield it gives the young birds a great start to try and stop the possibility of clashing on the Saturday. Now on with the results for the federation and taking pole position this first young bird race is Ton Hunnam of Port Seton followed in 2nd open by Jim McNeil of Tranent with Tom & Scott McEwen of Elphinstone taking 3rd open. 4th open is Spider Rowley of Prestonpans and staying in Prestonpans club we have John Bird who wins 5th position and Mr & Mrs March are in 10th place. Back to Tranent for 6th open position for yours truly John Baillie and the remaining 3 positions 7th, 8th and 9th open filled by the holiday makers Mr & Mrs Burgess of Ormiston (Must have been the care and attention the birds received when they were on holiday) Something for your diary - after a very successful quiz held by the federation by John Bird in February 2014, we have decided to have another one on 12th February in 2017. The panel will be Norman Renton, Andrew Lees, Davie Jamieson and Jim Wilkinson. Tickets will be limited to 65 and costing £5 each with pie and beans included (This was a sold out last time very quickly so don’t delay if you are interested).

Prestonpans HC taking 1st position is Tam Hunnam with a Braspenning hen. In 2nd spot we have Tom & Scott McEwen with a chequer hen youngster from their Mark Gilbert stock. She is from Mark's Deweerdt lines the sire is from Emiel and the dam bred through Ted & Magnus lines. Taking the 3rd place is John Bird with a white flight hen she is bred through a red cock from Bobby Dickson, who is a grandson of Red Barcelona from R Moleveld and the dam of the young hen from a full sister to "Peg". Reading the Sportsman FC notes by Bob McKie /Jeff Walton gives us an inspiration for long distance racing. I see from Tarbes NFC ,one of their members M Anderson & Son of Washington, timed flying 810 miles, the title of their last notes - Dare to Dream is what most of us try to do within the SNFC these days. Thanks Joe yours John B’

Fife Federation

Glenrothes & Leslie PC news from Rosie Armit who tells us that 3 members sent 57 birds to Roye for the channel race.1st were Turpie & McCord on a velocity of 1078 with a 4 year old blue hen sent sitting 2 day old young birds. She is bred from Dougie Hain of Ladybank Dordin’s and has already been 6th open Clermont Fife Fed: 22nd section C 90th open SNFC Clermont in 2014, 22nd section C 58th open SNFC Ypres 2016 and now 4th section C 16th open SNFC and 1st section 2nd open Fife federation Roye in 2016. 2nd & 3rd club is Brian Kinnear with a velocity of 884 with a blue chequer cock sent feeding a 1 day youngster. He is an inbred grandson to a dark hen that was 1st section Ancenis. Brian’s 2nd bird is a yearling blue hen on a velocity of 792 she was sent sitting 15 day eggs and is bred from Brian’s ‘Stitchy’ lines. The next report will be about young birds Joe!!!

Pentland Hill’s Federation

News from Andy Miller who informs us that the federation held their first young bird race of the season from Ridsdale a distance of 60-72 miles for the federation members. 13 clubs sent 2456 birds liberated at 08-30 hours into a light south wind. Winning 1st New Lothian and 1st Pentland federation is the former inland national winning loft of Stevie Lapinski who flies with Woodburn RPC. Breeding details are as follows the sire is a grandson of Kannibaal when paired to Granddaughter of Hannibal both purchased from the RPRA one loft race sale. This is their first year breeding so no pressure on their box so far! Returns were excellent with virtually all birds home, although a lot of lofts didn’t send; this could be down to the fact that we have another Ridsdale next week?? Stevie took the 1st x 3 places plus 5th & 6th federation with W Smith of Danderhall in 4th place. Brown & Black of Woodburn club are 7th 8th 9th & 10th places.

Club Winners are as follows;

Woodburn 209 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Lapinski

Danderhall 648 birds; 1st Smith 2nd Kinnear 3rd Watson & Daughter

Gilmerton 107 birds; 1st Robertson 2nd & 3rd Bennett

Castlebrae 151 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd McCormack & Fraser

Arniston 51 birds; 1st Ray 2nd Mercer 1283

Easthouses 265 birds; 1st J Pryde 2nd Nimmo 3rd Milne

Edinburgh Premier 165 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Black

Edinburgh West 77 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd C Bennett

Loanhead 87 birds; 1st & 3rd Murray 2nd Archibald

Bonnyrigg 102 birds; 1st Lannan 2nd Russell 3rd Neill

Sighthill 103 birds; 1st 2nd & 3rd Keenan

New Lothian 86 birds;

Traprain 338 birds; 1st Hunter 2nd Bosworth 3rd Newcombe

Others 67 birds;

New Lothian RPC from the Ridsdale race flown on 23rd July 57 members sent 1546 birds. Stevie Lapinski of Woodburn RPC had a good race taking the top 3 place with 5th & 6th as a bonus. W Smith of Danderhall is in 4th place with the Woodburn club’s Brown & Black taking the last 4 places of 7th 8th 9th & 10th places.

Joe’s Joke

A child asked his father, "How were people born?" So his father said, "Adam and Eve made babies, then their babies became adults and made babies, and so on." The child then went to his mother, asked her the same question and she told him, "We were monkeys then we evolved to become like we are now." The child ran back to his father and said, "You lied to me!" His father replied, "No, your mum was talking about her side of the family."

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy