Rescued Injured Racer But What Now?

hi guys i know nothing about pigeons & require some serious advice.

about 5 wks ago i found an injured racer (it has rings) on my wild bird garden feeding table.

it had a bad neck wound & also a severe limp to such an extent that it mostly stood on one leg.

the neck wound has healed & the limp although still pronounced is slightly less significant than before.

i keep it in a guinea pig cage indoors (about 3'x2'x2') with a smaller housing box placed inside.

i can feel the power in his wings when i lift him so i think he can fly ok although i have no way of confirming that due to the small space in which he is presently confined.

i've been told that as a domesticated bird he can never be released - is that so??

to be honest i don't want a pigeon as a pet (i rescue huskies) but if that's the deal then fair enough.

he is very aggressive & becoming more so as the days progess - is that normal?

any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your replies - i did contact the owner who said he would collect but on subsequent conversation with others i was informed that the bird would "probably" be euthanized.

i did email the owner stating the extent of the bird's injuries & asking for advice etc but received no reply - i also texted.

as i mentioned, if i have to keep him then fine however if someone could please answer the question of release or not i would be really grateful.

that is, if i do release him what are the chances of him either returning to me, the owner or just getting lost & dying of starvation or predator attack - appreciating it's a question requiring an answer based on speculation.

also if i can't release him then what outdoor facilities (and other) would be required to give him a reasonable existence?

the little guy's a real fighter so i wouldn't want to give up on him.

i live in co. antrim, n.ireland.

thanks again.

You can release the bird anytime now as it has some strength back. Likely hood is it will go home of its own accord but you may find it returns to or stays at your place but if no other pigeons are about the probable outcome will be it making its way home again. They are remarkably resilient wee birds when it comes to recovery from injuries so you don't need to have any more concerns about those.

In your position I would release it on a nice bright morning to give it the chance to go home by itself. There are lots of claims that fanciers dispose of birds without thought but that is simply untrue. Atvb with it.

You can release the bird anytime now as it has some strength back. Likely hood is it will go home of its own accord but you may find it returns to or stays at your place but if no other pigeons are about the probable outcome will be it making its way home again. They are remarkably resilient wee birds when it comes to recovery from injuries so you don't need to have any more concerns about those.

In your position I would release it on a nice bright morning to give it the chance to go home by itself. There are lots of claims that fanciers dispose of birds without thought but that is simply untrue. Atvb with it.

hi john - what i'm worried about was the zero response from the owner when i ask for advice - even if he'd shown a little interest i would not be so concerned about release & his possible return home.

it would be great if he would return to me - i wouldn't mind building a small outdoor facility for his needs

obviously if he can fly i can't keep him in confinement so i guess it's really down to chance regarding the outcome of my present dilemma.

he's eating & drinking fine, preening & has started to coo. however as mentioned the limp is quite bad although he does scratch his head with that leg.

i ask our vet to look at him but he wasn't interested & i know of no real pigeon guy's in my area

thanks for your advice.