Adana Dewlap

Hi all..

Just wondering what special requirements this breed of pigeon needs to perform best?

I believe alot of people give up on this breed due to their demanding temperament.

Do they breed well? I have seen pictures of their housing (mainly from abroad) and their enclosures seemed cramped. Is this specific to dewlaps?

Any info would be much appreciated, seems quite thin on the ground online.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been told they don't tend to be very good parents and the cocks don't mature until around 3 years?

Can anyone talk from experience?

Mature same as any other pigeon, parenting skills probably depends on the strain, usually fine though.

Need to be careful with the diet mind, too much good grub and protein and the cocks will start driving again far too soon.

Flown in pairs or three's, they're best described as hard to train but very easy to lose!

That said, once you've seen a really good flight, when they climb into the pins in about 5 minutes and come screaming back down in about 5 seconds they make all other pigeons seem pretty dull.