Sunny South East Ireland.

Guest maricelbill

Guest maricelbill

Well the South Central Super Club breeder buyer was an outstanding success with the 190 birds making just 14,000 euro. The race itself will see over 10,000 in prize money flown for from Barleycove on August the 13th. My deep thanks to all who helped out the Super Club members owe great thanks to Pat Maher who was outstanding on the day and all through this project.

Much credit to the fanciers from Dungarvan, New Ross, Kilkenny and Wexford in particular for making it a very special day. Thus is the biggest breeder buyer in Ireland and one of the biggest in financial terms on these Islands, and it is only it's first year. A big well done to our friends across the Irish sea who sent a terrific batch of pigeons to be raced here. A special mention has to go to Ralph Wheately who made the long trek from Galway. John Farrell made the journey from Dublin and went home with both arms full. Special mention to Karl Donnelly for terrific support in both the birds supplied and birds brought back to Dublin. Gerry MCcourt done a terrific job auctioneer and more than justified the decision to bring in a pro for the job. Keith Gardiner and Brendan Buckley were terrific on the day. The event has seen great support and interest from Dublin with many having rejoined the IHUNFC just to compete in this event. It only goes to prove the potential if we just tap into it and use the resource fairly and wisely.

Such was the workload on the Friday night I inadvertently put petrol in the tank instead of diesel. Saturday morning with the van loaded with birds and pens it broke down. Fortunately, and from no where as far as I was concerned at the time. Jeff Byrne rang. He had come from Dublin and was wondering why there was no one present at the auction room. He was over in a Jiffy and luckily driving a van as big as a German tank and could help get the show back on the road. Jeff and his father had the ace pigeon in the Algarve race in 2015.

The first South Central Super Club race of the season will be from Kinsale on the 23rd April. This weeks valve opener from Pilmore saw Brendan Buckley taking the honours in the Tower Invitation with a yearling hen.. The sire is an Alan Dungworth Van Rhijn cock paired to a hen I bred while in partnership with my brother. She was a late bred 2014. Lines of Di Capri,o Den Jan and Aladdin. Her nest mate went to Tommy Marsey in Liverpool and she bred winners straight away incl 4th Amal. The winner was doing 1178 followed closely by Bim Coonors, the club chairman, on 1166. Mick Pepper in Passage clocking two Ceusters close together to be 3rd and 4th on 1163. Good to see John Collins in the clock as I have said previously it's going to be very competitive racing on this south road.

In the Shamrock Cub in New Ross John Fanning took the honours on 1286 followed by Mark Malone on 1147. John Fanning again in 3rd on 1143. Overall, returns are good with the usual few carried on over as always happens in the first race. Waether on the day was very cold. Across the Irish sea my good mate Jimmy Bambling was clocking birds in the snow.

The Irish Homing Union National Flying Club is to hold a moot and elite sale in Dublin in October. The "Irish Night with the Stars" will feature a moot which sees the remarkable Geoff and Catherine Cooper in Dublin for the first time. Brian Bolton will make the journey from Belgium. Steve Goulding, one of the liveliest and funniest guys you will ever encounter, is coming over from Liverpool. The Merseyside Mozart was it it again yesterday taking the first 4 places in the Liverpool Amal b y soime way too I am told. He did the the same in the equivalent race last season. My good mate Steve Milner is riding shotgun at the Goulding ranch and by all accounts is helping to wreak havoc not only in the Liverpool Amal but also on the garden furniture which was originally bought with Green Shield Stamps. S & B Goulding is one of the best lofts on these islands at the moment and make no mistake. The Merseyside Maestro was a must have for this event in Dublin. The final panelists will be confirmed this week as will the precise date and venue.

Tickets are 35 euro with spot prizes galore included in the ticket prize. Some superb spot prizes will be on offer and are included in the ticket price. Birds already in for the sale include Jos Riley who enters a yb from a son of Harry. This pigeon starts with a 1000 reserve already on his head. Jos is one of the most successful one loft fanciers on the planet and one of the most recognisable. He will be the feature of a report in the next column as I feel his contribution to this sale is worthy of that. So too is Micky Collins the Birmingham legend, talent spotter, and one of the most knowledgeable and best known pigeon men around. Micky has created a sensation already by sending a direct child of Donkere Leo when Leo is mated to a daughter of Kittle. The dam being a gift to Mickey from Dirk Van Den Bulcke himself. The auction battle for this bird alone would be worth the entrance fee

A Gadsdon & Son one of best lofts in London and certainly on the North Road, with their club mate Micky Connolly, have to be at the very top. The lads are sending one direct from their 1st LNRC Thurso 2015. "After Eight". Ryan is planning on making the trip across for this special night and might be pressed into service for a small spot on MC, or the panel, just to vary it around a little. He will be good value on either role. The senior partner, Alan, has been through the mill lately health wise and I would take this opportunity now to send him my best wishes.

Not only will the auction line up be the best fanciers, but the best birds from these flyers too.

While most spot prizes are included in the ticket price there will be a special raffle for a yb from one of the best Lambrecht cocks in the UK in recent years, the remarkable Stevie Wonder of W Bird Son and Greene from Teeside. Draw will take place on the night.

Tickets for the moot and the Stevie Wonder yb available from myself on westwing@eircom.net or from national treasurer Fred Malone in Kilkenny Dublin fanciers can give John Farrell a call. There will be full info on everything once the date and venue and panel are totally finalised.

It's your national. Wear it with pride. Fly with distinction.

Prometheus.