Chick

PAPA B

I have a one weak old chicks that is lying in the nest bowl.It looks as if it is lying to one side no balance, one leg is straight the other is shaking. Anybody no what this might be it was perfectly fine two days ago.emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

did you put a ring on it 2 days ago Brian ??

Without seeing the youngster it reads like it's splayed and if so it is unrepairable. This is a common occurence with single reared chicks I am sorry to say.

Well both legs seem to be fine, it looks like its left wing is coming right up and this in turn is knocking it on it's side.

Have had them on a couple of occasions but only on a single reared one. The nest was in good nick and I was of the belief that the pair in a nest stopped the splay which is why I rarely single rear preferring if possible to get them in beside another single but never a threesome.

like others have said , its a little guess work without seeing the chick. you could try an elastic band around both legs , not too tight of course , to aid the legs forming better. one other option is a handfull of golf balls in the nest , both a little hit and miss .

like others have said , its a little guess work without seeing the chick. you could try an elastic band around both legs , not too tight of course , to aid the legs forming better. one other option is a handfull of golf balls in the nest , both a little hit and miss .

Thanks for all comments, I will try anything to help the little Doo.

Has any one ever had a splayed chick and if so what is the outcome.

yip one leg sticks straight out like a hand signal ive tried a few times to cure it by tying ribbon or string on to both legs to see if it would set straight but it never worked as peter said theres no cure because they nearly always splay from the hip joint better to dispose of it brian and let them go back to nest

Edited by walterboswell59

At that age it should be possible to correct the leg, as Andy says something to hold the legs closer together, I would thread string through the ring and a loop on the other, not too close together as the chick needs to balance, needs a filling in the nest for support to lean on, a hens egg should be OK, straw is not the best for a single, pigeons will always choose twiggy material, much more grip.

At that age it should be possible to correct the leg, as Andy says something to hold the legs closer together, I would thread string through the ring and a loop on the other, not too close together as the chick needs to balance, needs a filling in the nest for support to lean on, a hens egg should be OK, straw is not the best for a single, pigeons will always choose twiggy material, much more grip.

tried this a few times bill did not work for me m8 was all i could think of but think maybe how long the bird has been like that comes into play i never found them till ringing time so dont know how long they had been like that but if it makes the man happy he can try it

Its only been like this for two days,I will give it a go and see how it goes.Fingers crossed.