Preparing Old Birds For Racing

THE FIFER

I am about a month ahead regarding exercise at home

Celibate cocks starting to enjoy themselves

Celibate hens enjoying aviary during day exercise at night and weekends

The above will be trained to the fechan a dodgy 20 mls lol

Have paired my 10 best 2yo hens to 8-10 Year old cocks for obvious reasons these will not race till may

Racers not paired up yet so Handling well and good weight for racing. No road training will be given to those who have raced but latebreds and least experienced will get 3-4 tosses to 22mls before first race. Team are flying well too due to not being paired so 61mls for first race should not be a prob for them.

Have paired my 10 best 2yo hens to 8-10 Year old cocks for obvious reasons these will not race till may

Mick , im not having a go ...im just going to say with a ?

i dont believe celibate pigeons do enjoy themselves ...the cocks will fly frustration out of them at exercise and hens might enjoy the sun ...but fecked if they are happy confined to an aviary. the only enjoyment they get is the feed when called.

would love to hear thoughts on this

cheers

Mick

Aye JohnQuinn you say you dont train birds that have been raced last year ,is that all ages i was toying with this idea as they are flying well at home ,i am doing natural cheers in advance for reply .I will be racing to plastic eggs where poss.

Mick , im not having a go ...im just going to say with a ?

i dont believe celibate pigeons do enjoy themselves ...the cocks will fly frustration out of them at exercise and hens might enjoy the sun ...but fecked if they are happy confined to an aviary. the only enjoyment they get is the feed when called.

would love to hear thoughts on this

cheers

Mick

Hi mick

Lovely day here today the cocks have been out flying since 11 out and in periodically but their boxes are open Happy as an Irishman on St Patrick's Day lol

The hens are not locked in the aviary and can come and go as they please

They do become a problem as the season progresses however this year I am trying out an idea that has been rolling about in my old grey matter for some time it is a loft within a loft will not go into detail about that yet as some may think I've lost the plot

Atb for the season Mick

Racers are rearing young at the moment. I had planned on removing hens when young are around 12 days of age but the weather being as it has (bitter cold) I decided to keep them together. Hens have started laying out again, will let them sit for 8 days then I'll split them putting the cocks on w/hood.

Racers are rearing young at the moment. I had planned on removing hens when young are around 12 days of age but the weather being as it has (bitter cold) I decided to keep them together. Hens have started laying out again, will let them sit for 8 days then I'll split them putting the cocks on w/hood.

Bitter cold????? ........in Dagenham? ??????. Thought that would have made the news lol

Hi

sorry to bother you can I ask how you get the cocks to race on the method only I have flown this way for 3 years to around June when I allow them to pair and although the hens race really well I cant seem to get my cocks to race home the same and I only seem to get the odd cock to take to it . Do your cocks race to spare hens waiting for them at home ? I find that some of my yearling move around taking a different box and maybe not bonded . I hope you don't mind me asking you

• 4 weeks later...