Sunny South East Ireland.

Guest maricelbill

Guest maricelbill

Curious comment from a fellow scribes on a recent issue and the comparison, a misguided comparison in my view, of the fanciers who are out to slaughter the opposition. Fanciers who, he believed, would quit pigeons if they didn't win. Compared to the nonchalant divil may care sure what else would you do with your day but look up at an empty sky type of fancier. The good old fashioned salt of the earth types who are and were good and honest pigeon men who would still be winning the odd races today if someone hadn't changed the shape of the ball.

And I am referring to what might best be described as rural Ireland. Because this butcherism has been going on elsewhere for many a day. Modern racing pigeons are fast on the wing hence the multiple drops that occur when a fancier introduces modern sprint lines. The best of these. Not just the name.

But is this desire to "Boocher em" as my friends from Sunderland are fond often of saying, a new phenomena?

The other complaint, and related to the first, I hear is how the "working man" or the "ordinary fancier" is being priced out of certain birds. I know what is meant though the description might not be accurate. There are fanciers with wads of cash, the best of pigeons, but are still ordinary fanciers.

Let's deal with this second complaint first.

Some pigeons have always been beyond the reach of the majority. Fred Shaw of Denton paid Renier Gurnay a King's Ransom for pigeons in the 1920s. A time of extraordinary hardship. And Shaw went on to butcher the 250 member Manchester Flying Club long before it became a fashion item to do so. J.W Logan was hardly a stray catcher. Or the Cattrysse Bros. Bricoux. Gurnay himself was an extremely wealthy man. George Busschaert. Their legacy, and the legacy of many more who dug deep, and deeper still, in the pursuit of excellence, enriched this sport to the betterment of the species. And in turn to the betterment of the sport. This sport needs the wealthy just as it needs the hard workers. The race markers. The raffle ticket sellers and the sponge cake makers.

The modern racing pigeon is a different animal to what existed in days of yore. In the long hot summers of our youth spent courting in the hay. It hasn't developed because of the divil may care type. Mozart could hear entire symphonies in his head long before he wrote a note. Piggot was a genius with a horse. Some pigeon fanciers have the same gift. They hear the music walking down the garden path. The cocks spinning in the bowels are as musical as the ivory keys on a grand piano. He plays them. The true master knows every chord, every note. His loft is perfectly in tune. It is in harmony.

Pigeon racing at it's purest is not just a hobby, it is not merely a sport. It is an art form. It is music.

Roger Bannister didn't break the 4 minute mile because he liked to jog around Hyde Park with his poodle in tow. He didn't do it because he wanted to butcher the opposition either. He done it because he was driven to do it...... for himself. The greats only ever compete, by nature, with themselves. To expect otherwise you may as well ask the pigeon not to fly. The horse not to run.. Mozart to have no longer heard the the music.

Such men leave others with but 2 choices. Some will resort to petty jealousy. Gossip. Even quit. Break up clubs. Exclude.

Others rise to the challenge. You cannot have an orchestra of one. They meet the challenge and let the devil take the hindmost. This is what improves. What drives men on to greater heights. Competition. It is the desire and the ability to compete that creates progress in everything. It's why black and white television gave way to colour. Why we have mobile phones. Faster cars.

When I returned to this sport I thought I would be meeting the same faces. Just older. Ears sprouting hairs where none previously germinated. I was sure it was a dying sport. But not so. True, you don't see teenagers running around littered with shavings. But there are plenty in their 30s and 40s to keep the sport and to grow it. Modernise it.

Let them butcher to their hears content. Meet the challenge.

Pigeon racing is more affordable than ever. Where once fancier carted 2 stone bags of high velocity under their oxter they now buy feed by the truckload. Keep large teams. Fashionable lofts. We no longer have the crib on the ground trying to catch the big wattled stray. The glorified NU rung.

Progress through competition. It is the basis of evolution.

The Shamrock Club in New Ross was of immeasurable assistance to the Tower Invitation in getting it going here in Waterford and I take this opportunity to thank Paul, Ken and the rest of the club. Keith Gardiner from New Ross is a terrific example of the potential this sport has, the newer blood, knowledgeable about modern bloodlines and methods. Feeding, veterinary requirements, nutrition, different birds for different days and distances. Internet savvy. A hard worker for his club he has been terrific help when we were setting up the Tower Invitation in Waterford and the South Central Super Club. He is open minded and forward thinking. Competitive. Gives credit where due and acknowledges the efforts and results of his competitors and resolves to meet the challenge head on. It is in fact refreshing.

Keith's father raced pigeons in the 80s and 90s and after a break from the sport father and son raced in partnership raced from 2005. Success was immediate winning the young bird national that year from Malin Head. Sadly, Keith's father passed away only a year later leaving Keith to continue to race on the North Road. Keith prefers what he calls the steadier racing from the North Road in preference to the whiz bang of the South Road inland. On this we do tend to disagree. I understand the attraction of the North Road. The longer inland program and the unpredictability of it all. If our own club finds steadier racing in thee Leinster NR than they had with Munster, and if the route can be developed and numbers grown, then yes, it has terrific potential. On that Keith and myself are in complete agreement.

The Gaby Vandenabeele pigeons and Staff Van Rests have been very successful and in recent years Brasspennings from Ron Mckelvy up in Newry have made their way to New Ross. Success was immediate winning from the get go including taking the first eight in Fed from Trim.

Showing his own potential and keenness Keith follows the NIPA and Irish South Road Fed results closely as he believe the birds and fanciers in Ireland are as good, if not better, than those on the Continent. Not technically better, but it is a tough old route and does require a certain temperament.

Keith is adamant competition in Leinster North Road Fed is as keen as that in the Leinster South Road. Fanciers of the caliber of Roly Brennan in Carlow, Edward Holden Kilkenny and Lyn Griffith's from Wexford just some of the top fanciers at federation level. Keith races in the highly competitive New Ross and District RPC although with the introduction of the South Central Super Club he is looking forward to racing on the South Road this year with the Shamrock RPC and the South Leinster Federation, although his priority will continue to be North Road. Keith believes there are new fanciers coming through determined to see the federation go from strength to strength.

I have said previously the Leinster NR are to be complimented for having the foresight, the ambition, the open mindedness to accept the application from the Tower Invitation in Waterford. If such a new and forward thinking mindset could be given a name it would be that of Keith Gardiner.

I have met some cracking lads in the sport recently, and due in no small measure to organising the South Central Super Club breeder buyer. Already eying up an even bigger event in 2017 with a prize fund of 40,000 euro the target. And it will be reached with the caliber and the character of those who queued to join this years event.

Darren Ede and Tony Darling first mat in the late 90s after Tony moved to Southampton from London. Few will need reminding Southampton is the home of one of the all time greats of the sport. The late Vic Robinson. Tony and Darren soon developed a friendship that has not only endured but flourished. Not just in pigeons. The lads are partners in a wedding and limousine car hire company. With the ability to meet the exacting standards of a bride and groom on their wedding day it came as no surprise these guys employed those same exacting standard in their quest for quality racing pigeons.

The lads initially raced against each other breaks from the sport the partnership was formed in 2013 for all out assault the English classic & National scene. There has been a huge investment in the birds of Mark Gilbert, Freildenhoven & Son for the distance. For the sprint/middle distance the lads visited Rik Hermans, Van Wanrooij, Bakker & Son, Co & Piet Verbree, Wildly Daniels & of course the world famous Harry bloodlines. A few pairs of Franz Zwols are also housed. 2014 yb season was their first season racing and were 2nd Section 5th open National. In 2015 the lads scored 1st Section 2nd open NFC Fougeres 8,600 birds.

The partnership greatly admire Rik Hermans & His father Jan. Regarding them among best in the sport. 1st National Chateruex with a yearling Hen the fastest from over 44,000. This hen, Friendship, being bred from a son of Harry when mated to a daughter of Olympic Niels from Dirk Van Dyck. I have visited Dirk myself on many occasions. The man who bred and raced the most important breeder in half a century. De Kanibaal. Darren and Tony own children from all Rik's champions. 3 children from Cowgirl. 2 children Friendship. 2 sons of Charlene. 2 daughters of Tinky. 2 daughters of Minerva. 1 from Athena. Son of Beautifly. Grandaughter of Propere/Dicaprio. Plus many brother and sisters to the champions. The largest collection of direct Rik Hermans in Europe

When I quizzed Darren on their ambitions for the future, the answer was not surprising and is to be admired. To be the best they can possibly be. "We want to be amongt the very best the NFC has to offer". Darren & Tony, as I said, run a limousine business. Their birds are Rolls Royce. In pigeon racing terms these lads are living life in the fast lane. Success in inevitable.

South Central Super Club breeder buyer will be held in the Roanmore GAA Club on the Cleaboy Road in Waterford April 2nd.

I had a more than interesting chat with Steve Goulding this week this week. It's like a conversation with four different people,. Such an interesting guy and dedicated fancier. A maker of music straight from Beatle City. Such phenomenal results incuding 1st Midand National 2014. But if Steve is Mozart his pal Stephen Milner is Beethoven. He has learned how to turn a deaf ear.

Gary Downing has been interested in racing pigeons since the age of 10. (47 years). His stock loft contains a mixture of the best sprint lines in the UK. Lambrecht, De Meyer etc. All have one thing in common; they breed winners. For Gary, it all begins with the birds, then develop your own family from there. Gary is one of the "go to" men for help and advice. He derives terrific satisfaction from their success if his advice works. It invariably does. While Gary does not have one overall objective in mind he competes to the fullest every week. One race at a time. Chris Hickam is another from the Midlands who sending his best to the BB as his his good friend and near relaive Kieran Garman T & K Garmen who without doubt house the best Karel Laenen pigeons in the UK. These birds now form a major part of the Stefan Lambrechts and more recently Dirk Van Den Bulcke. Arthur & Adam Wealthall have made an incredible name for themselves in the Midands sprint scene and I know their birds are going to be among the must haves in this sale.

Rounding off the sale is one of the nicest guys you will encounter in pigeons. Stuart Innet's family are steeped in pigeons being a third generation pigeon man. Stuart left the sport for a number of years to rear his two sons single handed after racing a very small tram with great success. He returned in 2007 with a view to winning the Van Roabay's Gold Ring Classic. His dream came true the following year. This was also the last year the race was held. Stuart is a dedicated YB flyer. His time is limited so his focus is on the inland YB program. He would rather do one thing well than attempt several things badly. His weapons of choice are Lambrechts for the shorter races with the Koopman pigeons maybe having the edge on stickier days. But by no means a hard and fast rule. One thing that is a rule, you need to be on your game before crossing swords with Stuart Innet.

The pictures this week are of Keith Gardiner from New Ross. and from 2014 Peter Whelan with his kids celebrating 2nd Open National Barleycove. And remember you must be a member of the national to buy at the breeder/buyer. You should be a member because we need a healthy National Flying Club.

it's your National. Wear it with Pride,. Fly with distinction.

Promethius.