Sunny South East, Ireland

Guest maricelbill

Guest maricelbill

>

> Time to wear a different cap this week and turn the magnifier on the magnificent Liam McCall. 1The Wicklow Whiz Kid had a terrific 2015. Having topped the National from St Malo in 2014 Liam puled off the double in 2015. Not only retaining his St Malo crown (a blue hen from the old family crossed with Joe Murphy of Scotland pigeon 7 3/4 hrs on the wing) but also topping the National from Penzance with a Soontjen cock coming from Frank Sheader stock. This terrific cock was 3rd highest velocity of the entire convoy as the birds are convoyed and liberated by the N.I.P.A. For the record the 2014 St Malo winner was a Jan Arden crossed with the Sheader lines. Without doubt the Soontjen pigeons have been as important as the Van Loons, Busschaerts or Janssens in the story of pigeon racing on these islands.

>>

>> Liam's interest in pigeons began at a young age when some strays were kept in a small garden shed. Progression to racing came about in his late teens when Liam the very competitive Wicklow club. Flying on the tough north road success was slow in coming but Liam eventually broke is duck on fine style topping the club and scoring 2nd Open in the north road national from Malin Head. Liam given the choice would fly north. Whereas on the south you can set your watch by the returns, the north is far less predictable. Velocities are lower, so the anticipation, the wait in the garden, the dry mouth, the butterflies, the heightened awareness of every sound, a pin falling is like a hammer striking and anvil. I wonder is there anyone in yet? e wife at the door. Will it be long more? I don't know. Your eyes follow every passing wood pigeons. Here's one! No it's a stray. Here's one! It's a crow. Will it be long more? Get in out of the garden. Don't flush the toilet.

>> You get more bang for your buck for sure. Wicklow, however, is a shorter fly on the North Road getting 150 from Malin Head compared to further down the country. You get pretty stupefied looking at wood pigeons for 9 hours; as many a Cork man in Specsavers or the Asylum will testify. Ah yes, the glory days of the Irish North Road. Like the nights of the Kerry Dances, Gone alas, like our youth, too soon.

>> Liam married Gertie in 1974 and settled not for from the home place. A new loft built almost immediately. The same loft Liam races to today. New blood was added over the years from a.o north road legends like Stuart Cant from Dublin and Marty Siggins from Wexford. Other quality bloodlines of the Gilmore and Bob Harkness of Northern Ireland fame came via club mate These birds scored regularly from Scotland. Liam's on one occasion scored 2nd and 3rd open National from Thurso winning the coveted Dan Keneally trophy for best 2-Biord Average. These bloodlines tun through Liam's loft to this day which shows their quality and pre-potency. In the 1980s Liam reported a stray that belonged to a fancier in the North. Another fancier, Ronan McVeigh from Co Down which resulted in a friendship of over 30 years. It was Ronan who bred the blue hen winner of the I.H.U.N.F.C from St Malo in 2014 and Liam wishes to acknowledge and thank Ronan for his part in this success.

>>

>> Liam feeds a good molting mix. Layer pellets and some Homoform is fed prior to pairing along with a good malt barley. The racing mix I found surprising, basically a breeding mix to which Liam adds extra layer pellets, Gerry Plus is also added to the mix plus the Homoform. Birds are not broken down as everything here is natural. The birds are flown dry to to the nest. Liam is a great believer in garlic. Medication is limited to the compulsory vaccination and routine canker treatment. Fresh air, sunshine and natural good health what more do pigeons need? was Liam's comment. Young birds are not darkened. Birds are paired in March when many fanciers already have their first round weaned away.

>>

>> Liam's club, like many more, turned south in 2002 and Liam recalls his first attempt at the King's cup in 2002 as an especially difficult race; one of many difficult races to be encountered from France in the years ahead. In 2003 the I.N.F.C were at Messac. After a holdover of several days no birds were recorded on the day of liberation. With a mere 21 birds recorded in race time Liam had a magnificent race with 3 home from 6 entries. Two birds were cocked on the second day and a third, a red cock, on day three, to record 13th 16th & 20th Open plus the Harkness Rose Bowl for the best 2 bird Average. Something Liam says he had only dreamed about. Even better, the cock that was 20th open in 2003 went on the following year to record 13th Open King's Cup and again in 2005 to record 25th Open in the King's Cup. This terrific pigeon "Red Laddie" being entered into the highly exclusive I.N.F.C Hall of Fame. Something Liam says he never dared dream of. We are unaware of anyone else winning both the Dan Keneally and Harkness Rose Bowl and it would seem a unique achievement.

>>

>> Liam, despite winning Penzance in 2015, believes strongly that we need to move away from our present route. Cornwall especially as it is a graveyard for good pigeons. Liam believes (and this is something I have proposed myself and am a strong advocate for )we need to fly the route to South East England. His words were mama from heaven. Essentially, Liam advocates the same route the Welch fanciers fly. The M4 corridor. The birds then have a good run across land before encountering the Irish Sea and with only half the water to cross compared to Cornwall. By flying this Welch route to Ypres, and even Brussels to get 500 miles, we can then race 400 and 500 miles mostly across land. Instead of 350 miles from St Mao. Mostly over water. Liam thinks outside the box, never accepts the status-quo and is constantly looking to improve.

>> During the many enjoyable conversations I had with Liam in preparing this report, it struck me clearly, here is a man with the bit no so much between his teeth, but welded to his Jawbone. Here is a man who not only loves his sport, enjoys family, but he is a fancier with the same enthusiasm as that young man who scored that 2nd National victory back when the Eagles were rocking the world with "Life in the Fast Lane". Liam McCall races in the fast lane. He rocked the world in 2015. Slowing down or moving aside are words not in his vocabulary. Foot to the floor again for 2016.

>>

>> ihunfc.com

>>

>> It's Your National. Wear it with pride. Fly with distinction.

>>

>> Prometheus.

>