Sunny South East,

Guest maricelbill

Guest maricelbill

Curious comment from a fellow scribes on a recent issue and the comparison, a misguided comparison in my view, of the fanciers who are out to slaughter the opposition,. Fanciers who, he believed, would quit pigeons if they didn't win. Compared to the nonchalant divil may care sure what else would you do with your day but look up at an empty sky type of fancier. The good old fashioned salt of the earth types who are and were good and honest pigeon men who would still be winning the odd races today if someone hadn't changed the shape of the ball.

And I am referring to what might best be described as rural Ireland. Because this butcherism has been going on elsewhere for many a day. Modern racing pigeons are fast on the wing hence the multiple drops that occur when a fancier introduces modern sprint lines. The best of these. Not just the name.

But is this desire to "Boocher em" as my friends from Sunderland are fond often of saying, a new phenomena?

The other complaint, and related to the first, I hear is how the "working man" or the "ordinary fancier" is being priced out of certain birds. I know what is meant though the description might not be accurate. There are fanciers with wads of cash, the best of pigeons, but are still ordinary fanciers.

Let's deal with this second complaint first.

Some pigeons have always been beyond the reach of the majority. Fred Shaw of Denton paid Renier Gurnay a King's Ransom for pigeons in the 1920s. A time of extraordinary hardship. And Shaw went on to butcher the 250 member Manchester Flying Club long before it became a fashion item to do so. J.W Logan was hardly a stray catcher. Or the Cattrysse Bros. Bricoux. Gurnay himself was an extremely wealthy man. George Busschaert. Their legacy, and the legacy of many more who dug deep, and deeper still, in the pursuit of excellence, enriched this sport to the betterment of the species. And in turn to the betterment of the sport. This sport needs the wealthy just as it needs the hard workers. The race markers. The raffle ticket sellers and the sponge cake makers.

The modern racing pigeon is a different animal to what existed in days of yore. In the long hot summers of our youth spent courting in the hay. It hasn't developed because of the divil may care type. Mozart could hear entire symphonies in his head long before he wrote a note. Piggot was a genius with a horse. Some pigeon fanciers have the same gift. They hear the music walking down the garden path. The cocks spinning in the bowels are as musical as the ivory keys on a grand piano. He plays them. The true master knows every chord, every note. His loft is perfectly in tune. It is in harmony.

Pigeon racing at it's purest is not just a hobby, it is not merely a sport. It is an art form. It is music.

Roger Bannister didn't break the 4 minute mile because he liked to jog around Hyde Park with his poodle in tow. He didn't do it because he wanted to butcher the opposition either. He done it because he was driven to do it...... for himself. The greats only ever compete, by nature, with themselves. To expect otherwise you may as well ask the pigeon not to fly. The horse not to run.. Mozart to have no longer heard the the music.

Such men leave others with but 2 choices. Some will resort to petty jealousy. Gossip. Even quit. Break up clubs. Exclude.

Others rise to the challenge. You cannot have an orchestra of one. They meet the challenge and let the devil take the hindmost. This is what improves. What drives men on to greater heights. Competition. It is the desire and the ability to compete that creates progress in everything. It's why black and white television gave way to colour. Why we have mobile phones. Faster cars.

When I returned to this sport I thought I would be meeting the same faces. Just older. Ears sprouting hairs where none previously germinated. I was sure it was a dying sport. But not so. True, you don't see teenagers running around littered with shavings. But there are plenty in their 30s and 40s to keep the sport and to grow it. Modernise it.

Let them butcher to their hears content. Meet the challenge.

Pigeon racing is more affordable than ever. Where once fancier carted 2 stone bags of high velocity under their oxter they now buy feed by the truckload. Keep large teams. Fashionable lofts. We no longer have the crib on the ground trying to catch the big wattled stray. The glorified NU rung.

Progress through competition. It is the basis of evolution.

The Shamrock Club in New Ross was of immeasurable assistance to the Tower Invitation in getting it going here in Waterford and I take this opportunity to thank Paul, Ken and the rest of the club. Outstanding has been Keith Gardiner dedicated to the North Road but planning a little bit of an assault South in 2016. Keith will be the subject of a oft profile in the next edition.

South Central Super Club breeder buyer will be held in the Roanmore GAA Club in Waterford April 2nd. The entry list is now closed. Had a quick chat with Darren Ede Southampton he his partner have spent large and wise in pursuit of excellence. The best of Rik Hermans, Wily Daniels, Jan Hooymans etc. Darren will have 2 entries. Steve Goulding is another with 2 entries. I had a more than interesting chat with Steve this week this week. It's like a conversation with four different people,. Such an interesting guy and dedicated fancier. A maker of music straight from Beatle City. But if Steve is Mozart his pal Stephen Milner is Beethoven.

He has learned how to turn a deaf ear.

westwing@eircom.net

Promethius.