Natural

peter pandy

Having been an enthusiastic follower of Ad Schaerlaekens for many rears I have always followed his enthusiasm for keeping things simple, Which is why for many years at the start of the Moult the team are given Sedochol daily and once again they have came through a magnificent Moult with silky feathering. It just needs the encouragement to race and all will be well in Merry Mack Lofts, Free flying may not be every ones cup of tea during the Winter months but it keeps them fit and healthy and rest assured if their is a problem with any in the flock the lack of exercise will pin point it.

As individual pigeon fanciers some wish to keep them ensconced in the loft while others like myself get enjoyment out of watching the daily fly whether it be round the roof tops or gone from sight, As I maintain Each to there own..

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hens out to-day into a cloudless sky and up they went to about 500ft burling and jinking about which had me enthralled as the sun was at the precise position to strike the underwing of the flock resulting in flashing like diamonds which was a rare and never to be forgotten sight, A memory which will be with me forever... Absolutely Marvellous...

Four weeks have gone bye and all appears well with the flock since the medication supplied by Belgica De Weerde was completed so I am a happy camper once again with droppings rolling off the perches and no damp patches to be seen, All looking a picture and handling like silk however it will be another fortnight before I send further samples for determination and inmates will be confined to the locality over the Winter.

While they have been given freedom of exercise they are going well and none are dropping early, Appetite is good so I am hopeful this disaster has now completed its course..

Twenty Cocks and Twenty Seven Hens left after the problems this year and only Four Yearling Hens to dance with next year will not depress me one little bit as it is easier to identify them individually plus less droppings to scrape up.

When I think back to yesteryear I only Wintered about 40 and could more than hold my own racing against up to 6,000 birds so it does not faze me in the least to return to a select small team which I am confident in.

My feeding has been returned to an all year mixture with no changes being envisaged at any time as I recall the top men off the past including myself fed the same mixture 7 days a week and 52 weeks of the year racing 60-600 miles successfully.

I had decided to put another 16 nest boxes in the loft and had everything prepared when I noticed my power screwdriver was not where it should have been in the tool shed and had no success in determining its location which had me stumped however I recalled a neighbour had borrowed it 6 weeks ago to hang a picture so down I went to see him and low and behold he had just left for a fortnight in Italy to pick up San Morzano tomato seeds which no doubt some will be coming my way, That's another job waiting to be done.

Wee Mary refused to give the grass its final cut of the year although I am incapacitated and waiting result of an MRI scan on my shoulder which will no doubt mean an operation to repair the torn tendons, So it can wait till next year..

With the colony incarcerated this past week due to the damp cold weather experienced in the valley it was a pleasant surprise on rising this morning to a Blue sky with a nice Nor/Westerly, chilly yet bearable, so the Hens were turfed out and put in an excellent 1 Hour in a tight ball about 1/2 Mile out. When they are flying in such a manner they must cover at least 50 Miles, Aye it's ""Winter Form"" and only November. All the Athletes I ever read about train Daily !!, So I like to keep them in a fitness regime as often as possible as long as it is not damp and miserable.

Quite a few topics were discussed by the scallywags last night at Clarkston Show and one was, Are the best distance birds now in Holland ?. Well everyone agreed that they have a far superior race programme than the SNFC which has reverted to Middle distance now.. This caused some to question why the Central Scotland Feds could not arrange to have an Amalgamation convoying to the same race points from 200 miles and joint liberations, with safety in numbers a safeguard, and, a real 600 mile race after the two 500 milers have been flown by the SNFC. I do believe all were in agreement however the officialls of N/W,Cen,A/V,MID,LAN and GLAS would have to get to-gether to bring it to fruition. Food for Thought in a 1,000 + fancier catchment area..

Has it nae got some thing to do with the type of land they are flying over low and flat land also different weather conditions that allows them the opportunity of building up teams of extreme distance birds so therefore bringing about this great results ??

Quite a few topics were discussed by the scallywags last night at Clarkston Show and one was, Are the best distance birds now in Holland ?. Well everyone agreed that they have a far superior race programme than the SNFC which has reverted to Middle distance now.. This caused some to question why the Central Scotland Feds could not arrange to have an Amalgamation convoying to the same race points from 200 miles and joint liberations, with safety in numbers a safeguard, and, a real 600 mile race after the two 500 milers have been flown by the SNFC. I do believe all were in agreement however the officialls of N/W,Cen,A/V,MID,LAN and GLAS would have to get to-gether to bring it to fruition. Food for Thought in a 1,000 + fancier catchment area..

A REAL 600 mile race? What's that?

Never used to be.

Always amazes me when I see the entry numbers to the long distance race every year and then I compare them to the PAPER ENTRIES that I see on here and other places during the winter! I fear there could be a lot of wind and p*ss gan on lol

It's easy to blame inland nationals etc. for the lack of amalgamating-the biggest obstacle in the way are the feds themselves.

I don't think a 600 mile race would be well supported within those feds even if they did amalgamate. Best option would be with the SNFC. Why just the 600? Niort is the furthest the SNFC have been, why not propose we give that another try?

It's easy to blame inland nationals etc. for the lack of amalgamating-the biggest obstacle in the way are the feds themselves.

I don't think a 600 mile race would be well supported within those feds even if they did amalgamate. Best option would be with the SNFC. Why just the 600? Niort is the furthest the SNFC have been, why not propose we give that another try?

How much of a convoy Lewis would y expect ? Just as well put them ta Rome win the National in a couple of weeks ?

Camping in yer garden Colin no racing. The membership speaks with its entries I'm afraid...far more interest in the 300mile races than the water

No balls for the challenge . Every pigeon in your loft can do 300 mls on day how many can do 550 on day ?

I,m afraid scottish distance racing is on it's knees because fanciers like yourself won't face the challenge , in history of distance racing the scottish pigeons were sought after the reason the Snfc was formed was for distance minded men who wanted to test their pigeons and themselves but when fanciers of your obvious ability think we should make it easier then we are finished .

This is my opinion just like you have yours.