Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aye John, just not as nimble on my pins as I used to be.

Trying to shake off this Australian Flu bug is as hard as trying to get my wallet to show itself tae daylight..

Down in the loft all is as it should be although I have had to cut the rations back with too many showing a bit of fat due to the inactivity and lack of exercise with the inclement weather keeping them in their quarters mind you they look well and are quite active with Cocks calling to the Hens in the other section.

With Xmas just a few days to go it only leaves me Wishing all on Basics A Very Merry Xmas from Wee Mary and I.. :santa-dance: :santa-dance: :santa-dance:

Aye John, just not as nimble on my pins as I used to be.

Trying to shake off this Australian Flu bug is as hard as trying to get my wallet to show itself tae daylight..

Down in the loft all is as it should be although I have had to cut the rations back with too many showing a bit of fat due to the inactivity and lack of exercise with the inclement weather keeping them in their quarters mind you they look well and are quite active with Cocks calling to the Hens in the other section.

With Xmas just a few days to go it only leaves me Wishing all on Basics A Very Merry Xmas from Wee Mary and I.. :santa-dance: :santa-dance: :santa-dance:

Same to you Peter

Well, Santa's came and went and took our Flu virus with him so Wee Mary and I have been cough free since, The relief is beyond belief.

I have a barometer in the loft and a couple of years ago it dropped to 99.1 and has never been lower since, Well this morning it dropped to 98.8 when the weather was at its worst and wondered if it would have any affect on the Flock regarding hunger or any outwardly signs and the only phenomena was a Cock laying an egg. Yip I could hardly believe my eyes as this very Dk Cheq which I had down along with his nest mate as Cocks has turned out to be a Hen paired to his nest mate which is also a very Dk Cheq and I am extremely tempted to leave them be and see what transpires. However I digress as their appears to be no noticeable difference with the inmates when a weather low passes through as their normal consumption of feed was not affected.

This past three years has been a nightmare especially for Wee Mary and thankfully the nightmare is finally over, allowing us to get back to normality as an elderly couple who will never again do anybody any kind of Samaritan kindness.

Writing "Natural" on Basics has helped me get through as it has directed my mind away from our problems and some may feel it is selfish on my part but Mary was never left to suffer alone and I have had on occasion prompted her to help in memorising many aspects.

I will finalise by wishing ALL OUR FRIENDS on Basics a PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR and Lang may yer lum reek. :drinking-coffee-200:

Well, Santa's came and went and took our Flu virus with him so Wee Mary and I have been cough free since, The relief is beyond belief.

I have a barometer in the loft and a couple of years ago it dropped to 99.1 and has never been lower since, Well this morning it dropped to 98.8 when the weather was at its worst and wondered if it would have any affect on the Flock regarding hunger or any outwardly signs and the only phenomena was a Cock laying an egg. Yip I could hardly believe my eyes as this very Dk Cheq which I had down along with his nest mate as Cocks has turned out to be a Hen paired to his nest mate which is also a very Dk Cheq and I am extremely tempted to leave them be and see what transpires. However I digress as their appears to be no noticeable difference with the inmates when a weather low passes through as their normal consumption of feed was not affected.

This past three years has been a nightmare especially for Wee Mary and thankfully the nightmare is finally over, allowing us to get back to normality as an elderly couple who will never again do anybody any kind of Samaritan kindness.

Writing "Natural" on Basics has helped me get through as it has directed my mind away from our problems and some may feel it is selfish on my part but Mary was never left to suffer alone and I have had on occasion prompted her to help in memorising many aspects.

I will finalise by wishing ALL OUR FRIENDS on Basics a PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR and Lang may yer lum reek. :drinking-coffee-200:

Happy new year to you and marry.

Up and about to-day and down to the loft through a water logged garden although I have umpteen rubber mats down which have allowed grass to grow through the holes and it was still squelching underneath, Oh well it is Winter.

In my last post I inadvertently put the wrong readings down for my barometer But no-one noticed the error !! Anyway 99.1 and 98.8 should have been 29.1 and 28.8 ins, The best barometer is the toilet water which disappears in the event of lows..

Being the 1st of the month the birds were treated as usual with FlightPath on 1Kg feed then when all cleaned up extra rations given to appetite.

The young Dk Cheq Hen laid her second egg at mid-day to-day and after feeding her Nest Mate went and sat on the eggs, I now know which is which and will make up my mind at a later date regarding the outcome. Found another young Cock in amongst the Hens section so he was promptly moved through.

All have been confined to the loft of late and appear happy enough with their circumstances with none moping and activity is high either in the nest boxes which they command from the block of wood they stand on or scratching about like chickens in the straw. The Hens on the other hand are quite happy on the plastic "V" perches where the droppings roll off into a trough underneath.. :lol: :lol:

Sitting here at my desk and watching the rain teeming down on my security cameras had me reminiscing about real champion pigeons which were few and far between in fact I suppose I have handled easily 100 National winning birds and on reflection they came in all differing sizes.

I suppose it is all down to what your preference is and I know many will disagree with my selection of what I personally would wish my team was like however they are virtually impossible to breed as they come along themselves and are the opposite of their parents so they have to be a "extraordinary" size.

To start with the Cocks must be large and bold headed, Chests that are extremely large, Not overly large in body length with wide rumps and here is the cracker they MUST have short stubby wings.

Hens are the same with cocky style heads, bodies like submarines which are virtually the same width from front to back and they too have short stubby wings.

So there you go...MY IDEAL PIGEON...and its 14 years since I had one like that in my hands.

Very difficult to describe however here is my attempt.

Pigeons with good conformation will fit your hands no matter the size of your hands or the pigeon.

Sometimes they are wedge shaped, wide at the wing butts tapering back to a narrow tail, with others they are less wide at the front but still have an aerodynamic shape. All will have a tight vent and bright eyes when healthy and in good condition.

• 2 weeks later...

In the loft I have been scratching my head as to why over the last couple of days Late Bred Hens are turning into Cocks as four have apparently turned sex wise. With them out on alternating days and a richer feed they are indisposed to flying more than thirty minutes before popping down and only returning to the sky when interupted by a Seagull which I am sure they take as a peri with the narrow wings they have. The Jackdaws dont worry them in the least and would appear to be roof mates so all in all from the four hours of freedom to do as they wish I ascertained they would be stretching their wings for ninety minutes but not at a speed that was forthcoming when Barley was included in the rations.

My feeding method at the moment is 4 parts Beans,Peas and Tares with 1 Part Frazers Winter Mixture to which I add 1 handfull each of the following Linseed,Hormoform and grated Cheese mixed in then 1 handfull Palomas Power Mix which coats the mixture and given at 1oz per bird daily, Crivens they dont half look good..

joke at birds are to well spoilt , fatnlazy comes to mind peter.

Have you been speaking to Wee Mary ?? as she says I am fat and lazy although I keep telling her I am an invalid carrying pure muscle.

Anyway enough of that as the Cocks which were out to-day put in an excellent shift of 2 hours at speed. A treat to watch and it has been noticable in the past that when their is a lack of wind the birds do not put in the same effort as on a windy day such as to-day.

With all the gardens looking the same in a carpet of snow Winter wonderland is with us. Recently Mary and I were in our study reading the morning papers when their was an almighty bang on the window as a young Hen flew into it leaving a beautiful impression of wings and head on the glass which wee Mary says I can clean off, responding that it was a piece of nova art which could be termed as a master piece and worth a bob or two brought no truck with her as she returned with cleaning materials for me to get cracking, My disability proved its worth as I reminded her I was known to falling off ladders could see me hospitalised but I would do the gentlemanly thing and hold the steps for her to complete the operation !! This she duly done and I put the kettle on for a cuppa. It was brought to my attention by a local fancier friend that he had watched a hawk in amongst them that morning and they were scattered all over the sky regrouping and circling it at a great height but thankfully none were lost and all are accounted for.

Looking over my posts !! I have came to the conclusion that an earlier will have to be abandoned as a re-think has taken place within the old brainbox, I can only put the remarks made down to how I was feeling at the time but now we have both recovered and full of beans the future certainly looks a lot rosier.

I cannot make my mind up regarding breeding in Spring as I have definitely lost all interest in Y/B racing or the slaughter of the innocents as I am want to calling it and am more than content to take Late Breeds from all that have survived the rigours of racing out to the distance I have planned for them that way I will be breeding from birds with a proven Homing ability and give the youngsters the opportunity to develop over the Winter. Another thought is that I have 60 old birds in a 20 X 8 Loft and will be overcrowded with the introduction of an extra 50/60 youngsters into the colony.