Natural

peter pandy

I remember winning larkhall with a red cheq cock that had won Peterlee and went on to be second in the supreme class at Blackpool.........Mr Wilson kept us well entertained and a young guy like me was in awe as wee had pie and peas with decorated fanciers of larkhall. .....that's just brought it all back

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember winning larkhall with a red cheq cock that had won Peterlee and went on to be second in the supreme class at Blackpool.........Mr Wilson kept us well entertained and a young guy like me was in awe as wee had pie and peas with decorated fanciers of larkhall. .....that's just brought it all back

They were the good old days when the judges picked racers,biggrin.gif

In the early Seventies I used to go to the Larkhall show, [the only one in Lanarkshire] always falling into the company of Eddie Newcombe, Dave Smith from Dunning, Wee Dennis the Menace Dall, Davy Angus and Willie Wilson were the ones who came to mind and after the show Willie went home and we all went to a small Italian restaurant for a meal and more bevy. Later in the evening we all repaired to Willies which was a full house with the top Fed men present where more bevy was consumed and pigeon races especially Nationals were won by everyone. Those evenings and well into the small hours were what the Doo game was all about and, How we all managed to get home in one piece is any-body's guess. The nibble at the back of my mind is that I cannot remember chewing the fat with big George Rankine which is disapointing but perhaps he was still in Ireland or he had coo's to milk as one would not forget his larger than life presence. Great nights off the past which I really miss.

big george was in cambuslang club in the seventies peter running a pub

Strange thing happened to-day when a funny coloured round thing was in the sky, If memory serves me it was called the sun so I opened the loft windows and the Cocks started roaring their heads off. Let them out and they went ripping around the sky for an hour +. Eventually coming down and into a salt bath. When dried they were up again and chasing anything that moved but I just told them they would have to wait for another 6 weeks. That peed them off.LOL

I had a PM from a Basic member asking about 1000 mile racing and if I was into it ? NAW I wisnae. The greater distance club started by Dave Smith was successful to a point with birds doing the business and I believe John Ellis was an exponent of the club along with a few others. It is a pity it folded when it did as perhaps next year I might have something that would be available. I would be very surprised if the extreme distance to Pau, Perpingon or Barcelona did not take 1 years preparation, suitable to an experienced bird that had flown near the 700 mile Niort race a couple of times. If I were to give it a go I would have a small shed at my daughter's house well away from another loft and have them on open bowl 365 days of the year making sure they were toughened up and happy. This year though I intend to give Davy Jamieson a fright from the longest National and if TommyBoys is reading this post he has already picked him out. Its a Cheq Cock I call the Grand as his ring Number is 1000..

Well thats all the birds Vaccinated now and I noticed some are a bit on the heavy side so have put them on 25% Barley. Its that time of year to be thinking about nesting material so I am going to collect reeds and chop them into 8 inch lengths as it would appear that if they are too short or long they dont build their nests the same, Fussy beggars. With a Blue sky and a nip in the air the Cocks went out and up till they were dots in the stratosphere, I could have swore a passing Jet had to manouvre out there way, they were that high and its vapour trail had a definate kink in it.

The Barcelona Dream by John Ghent in the BHW had me saliving, and wishing I was years younger as I would give it a go with the birds I have introduced, confidence would be high. 3 youngsters I introduced in 2014 are now selling for £1500 with the sire producing fantastic National results in 2015 with the BICC at Barcelona.

Well thats all the birds Vaccinated now and I noticed some are a bit on the heavy side so have put them on 25% Barley. Its that time of year to be thinking about nesting material so I am going to collect reeds and chop them into 8 inch lengths as it would appear that if they are too short or long they dont build their nests the same, Fussy beggars. With a Blue sky and a nip in the air the Cocks went out and up till they were dots in the stratosphere, I could have swore a passing Jet had to manouvre out there way, they were that high and its vapour trail had a definate kink in it.

The Barcelona Dream by John Ghent in the BHW had me saliving, and wishing I was years younger as I would give it a go with the birds I have introduced, confidence would be high. 3 youngsters I introduced in 2014 are now selling for £1500 with the sire producing fantastic National results in 2015 with the BICC at Barcelona.

first paragraph made me smile , especially the vapor trail. the 2nd paragraph , well your younger today than you will be tomorrow, so whats stopping you ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I'm surprised "some are a bit on the heavy side" when they exercise like you have described. :emoticon-0138-thinking:

The birds are not Fat but too well muscle'd up with heavy feeding and not getting their freedom due to the weather to keep them trim every day. Some guys keep them in all winter and feed rubbish but you do what you think best.

My birds are looked after 365 days a year and want for nothing as I am a great believer that even in the middle of Winter they should be in tip top condition which they wont be with having to eat more to counteract the cold and rearing youngsters. Just to put my tuppence worth in they have beautiful pink breasts and Blue flesh is not a result of to much protein.

Eye right. Must have drapped yir wallet somewhere. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Now now......its getting personal when ye start talking about ma wallet

Eye right. Must have drapped yir wallet somewhere. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Now now......its getting personal when ye start talking about ma wallet