Natural Daily Diary

#41 User is offline   philg50 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationTurriff,Aberdeenshire
  • Club:deveron valley banff

Posted 6 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

Enjoying this post ,I agree with opinions on the feed you get these days it all seems to be full of little seed ,just speaking to a friend about this couple of days ago ,also i started as a apprentice butcher 1964 for the princely sum of 30/- bob = £1-10/- any way to boost this we had the pleasure of taking in the Hairst ie stooking the sheaves ,and once dry loading the cart with a pitch fork and taking it home to the farm and building the rucks seems like yesterday.

#42 User is offline   Roland 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 6 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

View Postpeter pandy, on 4 February 2016 - 22:28 PM, said:

Well for all the many years I have been involved in the Doo game I was shocked to read in The Racing Pigeon an article to-day by Dr Philip Quinn on pages 54-56 regarding Pigeon Diet,Nutrition and Digestion telling us that we are poisoning our birds by feeding them Beans Maize etc etc. It would appear that they are lacking Nutrient Balance, Cyanide releasing Glucosides, Enzyme Inhibitors, Mineral Absorption Inhibitors, Lectins, Gluton and Mycotoxins.. Some of the deficiences, Threonine, Tryptophan, Trichothecenes are some of the essential Amino Acids which we are not supplying them with and Tannins from Beans Peas etc are poison I could go on but shut the paper and had Mary make me a cuppa.
A while later I thought I remembered something about a chappie who contracted YBS every year had a health shop and was flogging amongst other things crap medication, the cure for YBS.
Into the Web and there he is BLUE SKY PIGEON. flogging Nutritional Products, Health Products, Racing Performance Products. Aye he is a clever C#NT..

Yes MOST sellers are a darn site more clever and believable when DOING THE SAME! lol
Pigeons Interests ... before Fanciers ego's!

#43 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland
  • Club:life

Posted 6 February 2016 - 21:56 PM

How to tell a good Bean Andy ? Well I am fec~ed if I know apart from the weevil hole as its escaped from the inside which brings me to the question of Tannin Poisoning !. If the Tannin which is the bean skin is blinkin poisonous why does it not kill the weevil ?. However back to the question. To me if you eat a bean and its bitter then its a new bean and if its sweet then its a year old. Other tests I have done is to take a hammer and smack whatever it is like a peanut for instance and if their in no oil on the hammer head then its useless and that applies to all oil bearing seeds. One other thing regarding feed if you type in GRAIN VALUES on Wikipedia it will give you an insight that the best all round feed is the lowly BEAN which has 20% Protein, 63% Carbohydrate, 2% Fat and 15% Fibre. What more do we need to give them.. One other thing is The Continental rubbish was introduced into Scotland around 1986 and we have had problems since with larger losses especially fewer birds making it home from the distance. We can call it Light Feeding I will say No Substance Feeding.

#44 User is offline   andy Burgess 

• High Ranking
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin Team
  • LocationEast Lothian
  • Club:gladsmuir

Posted 6 February 2016 - 22:23 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 6 February 2016 - 21:56 PM, said:

How to tell a good Bean Andy ? Well I am fec~ed if I know apart from the weevil hole as its escaped from the inside which brings me to the question of Tannin Poisoning !. If the Tannin which is the bean skin is blinkin poisonous why does it not kill the weevil ?. However back to the question. To me if you eat a bean and its bitter then its a new bean and if its sweet then its a year old. Other tests I have done is to take a hammer and smack whatever it is like a peanut for instance and if their in no oil on the hammer head then its useless and that applies to all oil bearing seeds. One other thing regarding feed if you type in GRAIN VALUES on Wikipedia it will give you an insight that the best all round feed is the lowly BEAN which has 20% Protein, 63% Carbohydrate, 2% Fat and 15% Fibre. What more do we need to give them.. One other thing is The Continental rubbish was introduced into Scotland around 1986 and we have had problems since with larger losses especially fewer birds making it home from the distance. We can call it Light Feeding I will say No Substance Feeding.

thanks for the reply again Peter . my Grand-father used to visit the corn shop , open the bags and eat the seed within before he bought. always tested it , even remember him testing feeding at home if it had been stored a while . i have often thought of trying this myself, yet i dont have the "gnashers" for the job :emoticon-0136-giggle:
"north wales novice" no longer .

#45 User is offline   billy99 

• High Ranking
  • LocationBlantyre
  • Club:Burnbank

Posted 6 February 2016 - 22:53 PM

View Postandy Burgess, on 6 February 2016 - 22:23 PM, said:

thanks for the reply again Peter . my Grand-father used to visit the corn shop , open the bags and eat the seed within before he bought. always tested it , even remember him testing feeding at home if it had been stored a while . i have often thought of trying this myself, yet i dont have the "gnashers" for the job :emoticon-0136-giggle:

A big Irish guy told me years ago a saucer plate with a small amount of water and what ever you wanted to test if it had all it's goodness would germinate. :smiling-scarecrow-329:
William Reid.

#46 User is offline   Harry0 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationEast wemyss Fife
  • Club:None as yet.

Posted 6 February 2016 - 22:59 PM

View Postbilly99, on 6 February 2016 - 22:53 PM, said:

A big Irish guy told me years ago a saucer plate with a small amount of water and what ever you wanted to test if it had all it's goodness would germinate. :smiling-scarecrow-329:

Never trust the Irish .

#47 User is offline   billy99 

• High Ranking
  • LocationBlantyre

Posted 6 February 2016 - 23:23 PM

View PostHarry0, on 6 February 2016 - 22:59 PM, said:

Never trust the Irish .

. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

He was the best pigeon fancier/ pigeon man you could ever met in your lifetime. And because he had lived in Scotland for so long his wisdom was increased 100 fold. :emoticon-0136-giggle:
William Reid.

#48 User is offline   Delboy 

• High Ranking
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 7 February 2016 - 13:48 PM

View Postbilly99, on 6 February 2016 - 23:23 PM, said:

. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

He was the best pigeon fancier/ pigeon man you could ever met in your lifetime. And because he had lived in Scotland for so long his wisdom was increased 100 fold. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

He was good at writing pedigrees too Billy lol
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#49 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 7 February 2016 - 20:21 PM

In the early Seventies I used to go to the Larkhall show, [the only one in Lanarkshire] always falling into the company of Eddie Newcombe, Dave Smith from Dunning, Wee Dennis the Menace Dall, Davy Angus and Willie Wilson were the ones who came to mind and after the show Willie went home and we all went to a small Italian restaurant for a meal and more bevy. Later in the evening we all repaired to Willies which was a full house with the top Fed men present where more bevy was consumed and pigeon races especially Nationals were won by everyone. Those evenings and well into the small hours were what the Doo game was all about and, How we all managed to get home in one piece is any-body's guess. The nibble at the back of my mind is that I cannot remember chewing the fat with big George Rankine which is disapointing but perhaps he was still in Ireland or he had coo's to milk as one would not forget his larger than life presence. Great nights off the past which I really miss.

#50 User is offline   Delboy 

• High Ranking

Posted 7 February 2016 - 20:34 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 7 February 2016 - 20:21 PM, said:

In the early Seventies I used to go to the Larkhall show, [the only one in Lanarkshire] always falling into the company of Eddie Newcombe, Dave Smith from Dunning, Wee Dennis the Menace Dall, Davy Angus and Willie Wilson were the ones who came to mind and after the show Willie went home and we all went to a small Italian restaurant for a meal and more bevy. Later in the evening we all repaired to Willies which was a full house with the top Fed men present where more bevy was consumed and pigeon races especially Nationals were won by everyone. Those evenings and well into the small hours were what the Doo game was all about and, How we all managed to get home in one piece is any-body's guess. The nibble at the back of my mind is that I cannot remember chewing the fat with big George Rankine which is disapointing but perhaps he was still in Ireland or he had coo's to milk as one would not forget his larger than life presence. Great nights off the past which I really miss.

Them big hawns of George would be round yer throat if he saw ye spelling his Rankin name with an E lol.
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#51 User is online   dal2 

• High Ranking
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 7 February 2016 - 20:54 PM

I remember winning larkhall with a red cheq cock that had won Peterlee and went on to be second in the supreme class at Blackpool.........Mr Wilson kept us well entertained and a young guy like me was in awe as wee had pie and peas with decorated fanciers of larkhall. .....that's just brought it all back

#52 User is offline   clockman 

• Distance fanatic
  • LocationCamperdown,Dundee
  • Club:Downfield Friendly RPC S.N.F.C.

Posted 7 February 2016 - 20:58 PM

View Postdal2, on 7 February 2016 - 20:54 PM, said:

I remember winning larkhall with a red cheq cock that had won Peterlee and went on to be second in the supreme class at Blackpool.........Mr Wilson kept us well entertained and a young guy like me was in awe as wee had pie and peas with decorated fanciers of larkhall. .....that's just brought it all back

They were the good old days when the judges picked racers,Posted Image
Always wear a mask before its to late.

#53 User is online   dal2 

• High Ranking
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 7 February 2016 - 20:59 PM

View Postclockman, on 7 February 2016 - 19:58 PM, said:

They were the good old days when the judges picked racers,Posted Image

Cheap shot

#54 User is offline   billy99 

• High Ranking
  • LocationBlantyre

Posted 7 February 2016 - 22:11 PM

View PostDelboy, on 7 February 2016 - 13:48 PM, said:

He was good at writing pedigrees too Billy lol

. :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

Can remember one Friday night at van Hannah's he showed me a pedigree he was taking to a show for a pigeon he had donated. FFS it was a booklet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
:smiling-scarecrow-329:
William Reid.

#55 User is offline   airdrie2 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationairdrie

Posted 7 February 2016 - 23:42 PM

Peter empty your pm box

#56 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 8 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

View Postairdrie2, on 7 February 2016 - 23:42 PM, said:

Peter empty your pm box

DONE

#57 User is offline   walterboswell59 

• High Ranking
  • Locationhamilton
  • Club:burnbank

Posted 8 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

View Postpeter pandy, on 7 February 2016 - 20:21 PM, said:

big george was in cambuslang club in the seventies peter running a pub

#58 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 8 February 2016 - 11:42 AM

Well Wattie he widnae be takin a Seturday nicht aff then LOL.

#59 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 8 February 2016 - 21:05 PM

Strange thing happened to-day when a funny coloured round thing was in the sky, If memory serves me it was called the sun so I opened the loft windows and the Cocks started roaring their heads off. Let them out and they went ripping around the sky for an hour +. Eventually coming down and into a salt bath. When dried they were up again and chasing anything that moved but I just told them they would have to wait for another 6 weeks. That peed them off.LOL

#60 User is offline   walterboswell59 

• High Ranking
  • Locationhamilton
  • Club:burnbank

Posted 8 February 2016 - 21:08 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 8 February 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

Well Wattie he widnae be takin a Seturday nicht aff then LOL.

true peter

• (62 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders