Natural

peter pandy

10 days till the daddies meet the mummies and all appears well with a bit of roaring if they see each other accidentally through my negligence in not closing the dividing door completely.

With the colony still putting in 2Hrs daily exercise I have no fat burds so don't have to curtail the rations as they are all in fine fettle and with the daylight extending daily by 10 minutes wont have to use the electric lights for any reason. There seems to be a silence from those on Basics who paired early regarding quality of youngsters and hope all has went well for them.

14 weeks and I am still waiting for an emergency operation !!!, and here was me thinking they were breaking the Law if not carried out within 12 weeks, effing joke..

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 days till the daddies meet the mummies and all appears well with a bit of roaring if they see each other accidentally through my negligence in not closing the dividing door completely.

With the colony still putting in 2Hrs daily exercise I have no fat burds so don't have to curtail the rations as they are all in fine fettle and with the daylight extending daily by 10 minutes wont have to use the electric lights for any reason. There seems to be a silence from those on Basics who paired early regarding quality of youngsters and hope all has went well for them.

14 weeks and I am still waiting for an emergency operation !!!, and here was me thinking they were breaking the Law if not carried out within 12 weeks, effing joke..

Are you nae getting hamered by the hawks ??

All the chores that required doing in the loft prior to pairing have been completed when the sections were washed down with Jeyes Fluid at the concentration recommended for livestock.

One can only hope that all bacteria has been eliminated and a disease free season ensues. I know at present that all is well with the colony as when given their freedom outside they are flying for up to 3 hours before coming back in and appetite is excellent, Cocks are beginning to get restless as they must know that any time now they will have the Hens return and Sunday is just around the corner.

All the chores that required doing in the loft prior to pairing have been completed when the sections were washed down with Jeyes Fluid at the concentration recommended for livestock.

One can only hope that all bacteria has been eliminated and a disease free season ensues. I know at present that all is well with the colony as when given their freedom outside they are flying for up to 3 hours before coming back in and appetite is excellent, Cocks are beginning to get restless as they must know that any time now they will have the Hens return and Sunday is just around the corner.

Shout them in .....3hrs? .....wasting yer day man.

Appetite is excellent?

Eating a lot or not eating a lot?

Shout them in .....3hrs? .....wasting yer day man.

Aye Steve !!, When you have worked all your life till retiring age it is nice to sit back and do what you want without having to be interrupted into doing what others would wish you to do, I am quite happy to spend my remaining years wasting my time watching my birds diving about the heavens and take a lot of pleasure in doing so..

Appetite is excellent?

Eating a lot or not eating a lot?

My colony is fed 1oz per bird of high energy feed daily at the moment and will only increase the rations when youngsters appear next month, It is obvious that the fast eater will have more than the slow eater but that is a problem none of us can solve, What I have noticed is that all are handling beautifully and all droppings are perfect small round balls.

Aye Steve !!, When you have worked all your life till retiring age it is nice to sit back and do what you want without having to be interrupted into doing what others would wish you to do, I am quite happy to spend my remaining years wasting my time watching my birds diving about the heavens and take a lot of pleasure in doing so..

Aye you stick in pal

24 Hrs since introducing the girls to the boys and all the Cocks appear to have picked their Hen and are content with the nest provided, No squabbling when they are left to pick their own mate with tranquillity the name of the game.

i have done similar this year , let them "get on with it" . more hens than cocks , so a few nests with 4 eggs in :emoticon-0136-giggle:

6 Days since pairing and the colony has had the freedom with an open loft to do their thing, some are quite content to hang around the nest box while others are touring the sky in a follow the leader fashion in pairs clapping at each other, More reeds are cut in the loft daily and are taken up to line the nests and one or two have overflowed the nest pan. Bathing has restarted after a 5 month break "Dirty Sods" and a thick layer of bloom required power washing to remove it from the bath, The other good piece is the Temp in the Loft has hovered around the 10c mark since pairing.

Aye OK Kevin, 5 Pairs down on 9 days and hoping the other 15 Pairs are down this evening. It is still a joy watching nose to tail pairs flapping around the sky without a care in the world from mid-day till 17.00 Hrs before being whistled in for their single daily feed.

As per usual my yearly method change has occurred and this year have started with a large Garlic bulb skinned then blended and added to 2 Ltrs water with 15 Mls Cider Vinegar, Topping up the drinker with 1Ltr Water every day with C/V included. It fair knocks the down from them and puts a shine on the Wattles and the drinkers are emptied cleaned every Saturday with a repeat off the above.

hi peter, ive changed this year to granulated garlic, it comes in a tub for horses but i only put it thro feed twice a week, only a ration and its allways eet up, got fed up with stinkin fingers with the fresh stuff, do you think drinking from green algae drinkers are bad for the birds, i have a old style loft with wooden slatted front and the daylight/sun is allways gettin green on drinkers, i normally clean off but have been noticing when walkin dog she will drink readilly from green algae pools but when offered tap water , nae so keen, jist like yir thoughts min, good posts by the way, keep em comin.

Hi Dave, All roads lead to Rome as the saying goes and how you get there and the condition you are in is self inflicted, Personally I could not bring it upon myself to have algae in the birds drinkers in my loft although I know of one who does and has problems every year but still gets a turn back and forth. The Garlic I use are all home grown and at the moment have 90 bulbs in a bed which will be ready in July/August for drying and storing.

In the loft over half the colony have laid and the rest are hopefully going down to-night.

Mine fly 30 mins for a buzzard

1 hour for a Perigrine

2 hrs for a sparrow hawk

Other than that 5 mins .

Plenty BOP around here, so that could be the reason. When the hay is being cut, I can easily count 12 to 14 Buzzards. Occasionally see the Peregrine and fairly often see the Sparrowhawk. :)