Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All is well with the colony with Bloom and Down feathers in abundance, putting in a good shift when out exercising, Appetite has seen them clearing 1oz in jig time and droppings are perfect round balls which drop from the plastic "V" perches so its only a scrape round the nest boxes and floor taking up 12 minutes of my time, This month will see me vaccinating all with Colombovac which is my preference and has been since day one.

With the Forth and Clyde canal frozen over all day to-day I postponed my intended vaccination with my helper and now wonder if we could have went ahead for to-morrow as the temp has went from -4 to 4c this evening including a light drizzle. SO if you are reading this John I will call around 0900 Hrs Saturday to ascertain if you are still available.

Only vaccinating when it's drizzle and the tenps ok?? Another old timers secret or just an excuse?

The ice on the canal is an old fashioned indicator that it is cold outside and inside the loft. Old timers blood is very thin and they feel the cold more than youngsters like yourself. When performing the vaccinations, old timers have to be careful they don't jag themselves because of numb fingers and numb brains. :)

The ice on the canal is an old fashioned indicator that it is cold outside and inside the loft. Old timers blood is very thin and they feel the cold more than youngsters like yourself. When performing the vaccinations, old timers have to be careful they don't jag themselves because of numb fingers and numb brains. :)

Aye mibbees

Well the job was completed with only one finger being pricked by accident, I suppose we cant all live in sunny climes like some down South who get nose bleeds and have no patience waiting for pigeons flying 5

Was it a big pr1ck or was it just a scratch Peter. :D

Edited by Kyleakin Lofts

Well the job was completed with only one finger being pricked by accident, I suppose we cant all live in sunny climes like some down South who get nose bleeds and have no patience waiting for pigeons flying 5

Was it a big pr1ck or was it just a scratch Peter. :D

AYE :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

With the Forth and Clyde canal frozen over all day to-day I postponed my intended vaccination with my helper and now wonder if we could have went ahead for to-morrow as the temp has went from -4 to 4c this evening including a light drizzle. SO if you are reading this John I will call around 0900 Hrs Saturday to ascertain if you are still available.

500miles? Camping I call it

• 2 weeks later...

What preparations should be carried out for pairing in 2-3 weeks time. Is worming or treating for cocci really necessary in a healthy loft environment ?

I like to worm mine regular every 6 weeks or so ,unless they have ybs in the nest I wouldn't canker unless it was a good month before pairing

• 2 weeks later...

All is well here at Merry Mac Loft and the Hens are putting in a good 2 Hrs every time they are out which is almost every day, Results returned from samples sent show they are free from any maladies so no treatment required.

Problems are all associated with my inability to move my left arm and still waiting for an operation to relieve the problem which I hoped would have been completed by now, Unlike those who are mobile I find it impossible to catch the beggars and have to depend on others to help out.

January / Feb is usually a quiet time for me and much time is spent reading a good book which keeps the old grey matter turning over. The last one read coincidentally was about my last employers ancestors back in the 1550s which answered many questions in history.

Clarkston members and friends will no doubt be having a wee snigger regarding the photo of Crocodile Dundee in the BHW but remember "He who laughs last laughs longest".. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

With the colony refusing to take a bath this past month the loft has a heavy coating of Bloom, At least I think its Bloom as I have not seen any of the inmates with a brush and tin of white emulsion. With them turning in at least 2 Hrs of unforced exercise I am quite happy regardless of other comments from those who would go against Nature and keep them ensconced within over the Winter period, breeding youngsters instead. Totally Unnatural..

Could never get my old birds to do 2 hours my hens inmay do hour and half f I am lucky but mainly 40 to 50 mins as for the cocks 35 to 45 min is about it

Plus even in summer mine only go out once a day

With the weather taking a turn for the better this past week has seen the birds out and exercising well so the yearly chore of basket varnishing has been completed.

I have noticed that some fanciers never seem to do so and a basket purchased a couple of months ago had obviously never been treated since leaving the wicker works 50/60 years ago now looks brand new [well almost], A recent visitor was asking how old my baskets were as he thought they had stopped making them and was really surprised when I informed him that 1 was 59 years old and the other 2 were 35 years old but when you look after your equipment they will last a lifetime.

Before the catty remarks are printed regarding, ""what happened to you then"". I got married. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

With nothing else to do I thought I would treat the colony to new feeders so off I trundled to B&Q as I had it in mind that plastic guttering would be easier cleaned than wood which does not react favourably with the gas burner, 6ft of 4ins wide and 2ins deep with flat base cut in two and four plastic seal ends only cost £10, in future wiping them down with disinfectant on a cloth weekly solves the problem of cleanliness, You could even have them as drinkers if you so wish with the flat base keeping them in position.

Just a wee bit of thought to save pennies or £££ for us penshunners. :drinking-coffee-200:

With nothing else to do I thought I would treat the colony to new feeders so off I trundled to B&Q as I had it in mind that plastic guttering would be easier cleaned than wood which does not react favourably with the gas burner, 6ft of 4ins wide and 2ins deep with flat base cut in two and four plastic seal ends only cost £10, in future wiping them down with disinfectant on a cloth weekly solves the problem of cleanliness, You could even have them as drinkers if you so wish with the flat base keeping them in position.

Just a wee bit of thought to save pennies or £££ for us penshunners. :drinking-coffee-200:

smiling-scarecrow-329.png

With a month to go before pairing it was time to introduce a reminder to the inmates both sections of the loft, So when I let the Hens out for a couple of hours exercise I shift the Cocks through to the West End and bring the Hens into the East End as I have 12 nest boxes in each section, They find it quite strange and mayhem ensues for a wee while before settling down. It's a daily change round as they are out intermittently.

My better half and I will shortly be heading over the park to cut reeds for nesting material as I found it excellent and more importantly free, The colony thought the same.

A cold Easterly wind has me giving the colony a little exercise break from freedom as it is my opinion that "its not good for man nor beast" a wee holiday and reduced rations will not go amiss on the lead up to pairing in 17 days time.

Is their such a thing as street wise ?, when I let the colony out on a daily basis over the Winter and all to date have returned without mishap although I have seen the Bassas passing over on many occasions, I know I have experienced the Perri working and find it hard to believe they could/would catch a fit racer in flight without stooping down first and on occasions my birds go up to the same height and circle the Bassa till it moves off elsewhere.