Natural

peter pandy

No balls for the challenge . Every pigeon in your loft can do 300 mls on day how many can do 550 on day ?

I,m afraid scottish distance racing is on it's knees because fanciers like yourself won't face the challenge , in history of distance racing the scottish pigeons were sought after the reason the Snfc was formed was for distance minded men who wanted to test their pigeons and themselves but when fanciers of your obvious ability think we should make it easier then we are finished .

This is my opinion just like you have yours.

I've had a go Colin and have tickets from Nantes, Tours etc.....a 3rd open included....just pointing out that shorter distance seems popular and a club that can envelope all will surely be far more successful than one that lives in the past. Have as many long races as you like.....but make them viable.....and don't blame members that race every weekend and choose their races just like yourself

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is why the sport is great it is a art for every distance from feeding to training each to there own but great reading about them all ie sprint wining maybe 10 first or a distance bird bursting its gut flying 12 to 15 hours but the old days was good when ther was no birds home on the day and up at 4 and the race is on

I've had a go Colin and have tickets from Nantes, Tours etc.....a 3rd open included....just pointing out that shorter distance seems popular and a club that can envelope all will surely be far more successful than one that lives in the past. Have as many long races as you like.....but make them viable.....and don't blame members that race every weekend and choose their races just like yourself

As I say it is more disappointing when a guy along with your father has been there done it comes on and thinks it should be easier for the gold cup a race that most of us grew up dreaming of a time in never mind winning .

I am 61 and was in tears last year when I found out my pigeon had won his sect in gold cup but have won many club ,fed races when racing with the brother and none ever had me in that state that is what it means to me .

I can don't no how I would be I think I would be the Same mate I love national racing all way s had from I was a boy watching my dads pigeons coming home come home from the race I'm 47 and love the sport my hi light was when I was 10 and timed in 4. Pigeons for my dads neighbour in Frunt of my dad as the neighbour had to go to work I when to school buzzing that day the 4 birds was well in I think it was averanches at that time I felt bad for my dad sorry dad

Och Well,, back to "NATURAL".. With the hens turning in a 90 minute fly to-day all is definitely OK with them and feed has been reduced to 28 Grams of a rich mixture this past week, Rather than putting them on a Barley mix I will just cut the feed back as and when required.

Regarding winter flying, I had time to remember when in Wales the boss brought his race horses back from Ireland and fed them a High Energy feed without them having the freedom of the paddock to burn the energy off, with the result they went hyper, severely injuring the stable girl when she went near them. At all times I enter the Loft the Colony want to have the freedom of the skies which is why they are out in alternating days whenever possible. Nobody has ever divulged to me why a race team should be incarcerated over the Winter months. How, Why, do I know they want out to burn up the sky ??. Quite easy as they all head onto the veranda waiting for me to open the inner door to freedom whereupon they all bail out in seconds.

As I say it is more disappointing when a guy along with your father has been there done it comes on and thinks it should be easier for the gold cup a race that most of us grew up dreaming of a time in never mind winning .

I am 61 and was in tears last year when I found out my pigeon had won his sect in gold cup but have won many club ,fed races when racing with the brother and none ever had me in that state that is what it means to me .

Nothing compares m8

With the weather here in the Metropolis not being conjunctive to giving the colony its freedom they have had a wee rest for a couple of days.

An interesting article by the Scottish correspondent of the RSPB in the Daily Express confirming 1,000 Breeding Pairs of Peri's in Scotland the other day had me wishing I was still working estates instead of sitting idly bye doing nothing of consequence. It was quite galling to read to-days Express with the headline "Bravest Animals Of Them All" with 32 Pigeons winning Dickin medals being celebrated at the London War Museum.

With the weather here in the Metropolis not being conjunctive to giving the colony its freedom they have had a wee rest for a couple of days.

An interesting article by the Scottish correspondent of the RSPB in the Daily Express confirming 1,000 Breeding Pairs of Peri's in Scotland the other day had me wishing I was still working estates instead of sitting idly bye doing nothing of consequence. It was quite galling to read to-days Express with the headline "Bravest Animals Of Them All" with 32 Pigeons winning Dickin medals being celebrated at the London War Museum.

yes read those also m8, the later needs more public publicity drinking-coffee-200.png

No doubt we will all be pleased now the big moult has completed its course and feathers cease to be attracted to the blade of the scraper which require cleaning or the scrape becomes a spread across the floor, It only requires hoovering weekly now to remove down feathers as the colony comes into Winter condition.

Just recently the weather has taken a turn for the worse so the colony has been confined to the loft and they are not happy campers especially the Hens which all gather at the entrance to freedom and have to return to their perches when I start scraping.

More samples taken for deliberation should show positive results and I will be satisfied that all is definitely well with the colony to carry on racing next year albeit with only 4 Yearlings which is a pity but we can only endeavour to get the best from them..

In another post regarding System's, I would say that no matter what system you employ you will only reap what you sow !! In other words a good fancier will get the best out of his charges whether they cost £1,000 or £1. Pigeons only respond to the way we look after them and no system is better than the other, The mob flier will always employ Roundabout because he knows and looks to get one into the leading batch, The Natural flier when he has set his individual bird up on a known form whether it is sitting eggs, Hatching, Feeding a small youngster or a big Youngster and looking at his Hen again will get that bird on numerous occasions.. Personally I have tried them all and Natural makes you a better fancier..

When I phone my Son in Law who has his own Building Business he always replies " Hi What can I Do For You" as he knows after my sob story there is something I need done that he is an expert in "doing".

So without further ado he came at the week-end and fitted new nest boxes to my satisfaction, and a lovely job was completed !!. The only problem was he mysteriously disappeared before I could talk to him regarding the erection of my new greenhouse !!, but I will capture him before Spring with a cunning trap he cannot escape from..

Regarding the colony they are out on alternating days weather permitting but have noticed they are giving the bath a miss, Cannot figure that one out as it was always last in is a "Streeter" attitude.

Are our charges getting enough air (ventilation) as all Lofts now appear to be closed up so I removed the windows and let the wind blow through "As Donald Would Say". (Where is your Trousers) for non Scots. Oh Aye, you go your way and I will go mine..

With gales forecast for the next few days I will have to keep a close eye on the loft with having removed the windows the South Wester will be blowing straight into the loft, Angle Iron holds the roof down so all should be OK but one can never count ones chickens.

The kettle was switched on to-day to straighten a few flights that were alright yesterday or at least I never noticed any, Perhaps Specsavers for me.

With the gales here in the Metropolis the ventury ventilation system I introduced into the loft is working a treat with no internal pressure build up although the inmates on the veranda had a good soak in the rain.

Droppings are perfect again now they have had a couple of days to accustom themselves to the new surroundings and all in all I am more than pleased.

I am rather peed off with drop down adverts interrupting my ramblings losing all I have composed forcing me to re-write all the script.. :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang: :emoticon-0179-headbang:

Having a pleasant chat with David Talbot had me wondering if my water supply could have been detrimental to my problems and loss of birds,

At present I have a 50 Ft garden hose attached to my main water supply and would regularly water the garden plants in Summer, Now back in July during the heat wave we experienced and with Wee Mary falling ill everything took a back seat but I used the hose to replenish the Loft water, Inevitably it would be warm and could have been a breeding ground for Bacterial encouragement providing a Viral problem, It was only when reading about the use of plastic hosepipes and the warning given not to drink from it unless running it first for a couple of minutes which I don't believe I was doing as normally I would have watered the garden first which would have cleaned the pipe of any crap.

Just a bit of thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Not having any Late Breeds this Winter the Hens are not too keen on going "running" as was the case in years past and with them finally through the moult I will shorten the rations in an attempt to get them going longer than the 30/40mts they are putting in.

Sample results returned an all clear so that is one worry out the way but being a pessimist something else will no doubt turn up to upset the equilibrium.

Still waiting for a date to have surgery on my shoulder and has given me a good excuse for not doing any housework or taking Wee Mary shopping. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Dozing in my chair the other day had me contemplating the theory of clairvoyance in pigeons as I have noticed over the years that when a partner is sent to a race while the other remains in the loft perhaps sitting eggs, should it lift off the nest then rest assured the partner sent will not be returning that day or never to be seen again, Likewise should the stay at home partner start looking for another mate then all is detrimental to the one sent. Nothing worse when you have only sent a lone candidate ! Even worse when you have pooled it to the hilt.. :wacko: :wacko:

Dozing in my chair the other day had me contemplating the theory of clairvoyance in pigeons as I have noticed over the years that when a partner is sent to a race while the other remains in the loft perhaps sitting eggs, should it lift off the nest then rest assured the partner sent will not be returning that day or never to be seen again, Likewise should the stay at home partner start looking for another mate then all is detrimental to the one sent. Nothing worse when you have only sent a lone candidate ! Even worse when you have pooled it to the hilt.. :wacko: :wacko:

Yes,I have seen this,hens that would sit till hell froze over rising off eggs on a saturday race morning at maybe 10 o,clock and looking to re-pair,whether it was telepathy or not,their mate did not return,there is more to it than chance, fanciers I respect have told me of the same thing.