• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Locationscotland
  • Club:life

Posted 16 November 2018 - 21:37 PM

View Postdal2, on 16 November 2018 - 14:15 PM, said:

A REAL 600 mile race? What's that?

Something only a few birds in lofts up North are getting while we in the Central belt are only experiencing Middle Distance Steve.

#1562 User is online   dal2 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 16 November 2018 - 22:04 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 16 November 2018 - 20:37 PM, said:

Something only a few birds in lofts up North are getting while we in the Central belt are only experiencing Middle Distance Steve.

500 miles hard enuff

#1563 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 16 November 2018 - 22:12 PM

View Postdal2, on 16 November 2018 - 22:04 PM, said:

500 miles hard enuff

Never used to be.

#1564 User is online   dal2 

• High Ranking

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

View Postpeter pandy, on 16 November 2018 - 21:12 PM, said:

Never used to be.

Always amazes me when I see the entry numbers to the long distance race every year and then I compare them to the PAPER ENTRIES that I see on here and other places during the winter! I fear there could be a lot of wind and p*ss gan on lol

#1565 User is offline   Rooster J. Cogburn 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:53 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 15 November 2018 - 22:11 PM, said:

Quite a few topics were discussed by the scallywags last night at Clarkston Show and one was, Are the best distance birds now in Holland ?. Well everyone agreed that they have a far superior race programme than the SNFC which has reverted to Middle distance now.. This caused some to question why the Central Scotland Feds could not arrange to have an Amalgamation convoying to the same race points from 200 miles and joint liberations, with safety in numbers a safeguard, and, a real 600 mile race after the two 500 milers have been flown by the SNFC. I do believe all were in agreement however the officialls of N/W,Cen,A/V,MID,LAN and GLAS would have to get to-gether to bring it to fruition. Food for Thought in a 1,000 + fancier catchment area..

It's easy to blame inland nationals etc. for the lack of amalgamating-the biggest obstacle in the way are the feds themselves.

I don't think a 600 mile race would be well supported within those feds even if they did amalgamate. Best option would be with the SNFC. Why just the 600? Niort is the furthest the SNFC have been, why not propose we give that another try?

#1566 User is offline   walterbmasson 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 16:06 PM

View PostRooster J. Cogburn, on 17 November 2018 - 16:53 PM, said:

It's easy to blame inland nationals etc. for the lack of amalgamating-the biggest obstacle in the way are the feds themselves.

I don't think a 600 mile race would be well supported within those feds even if they did amalgamate. Best option would be with the SNFC. Why just the 600? Niort is the furthest the SNFC have been, why not propose we give that another try?

How much of a convoy Lewis would y expect ? Just as well put them ta Rome win the National in a couple of weeks ?

#1567 User is offline   Rooster J. Cogburn 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 16:12 PM

View Postwalterbmasson, on 17 November 2018 - 16:06 PM, said:

How much of a convoy Lewis would y expect ? Just as well put them ta Rome win the National in a couple of weeks ?

I looked at that Walter, think Rabat would be a better racepoint :emoticon-0136-giggle:

#1568 User is offline   walterbmasson 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 16:15 PM

View PostRooster J. Cogburn, on 17 November 2018 - 17:12 PM, said:

I looked at that Walter, think Rabat would be a better racepoint :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Job handling the phone ins

#1569 User is offline   Rooster J. Cogburn 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 16:17 PM

View Postwalterbmasson, on 17 November 2018 - 16:15 PM, said:

Job handling the phone ins

:emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

This post has been edited by Rooster J. Cogburn: 17 November 2018 - 16:17 PM

#1570 User is offline   eastcoaster 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationGreengairs
  • Club:Airdrie

Posted 17 November 2018 - 22:25 PM

BARCELONA !!!

#1571 User is offline   tiger 

• High Ranking

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

There should only be 3 channel races 500mls a 550 mls and a 600mls into central Scotland and leave coast races to the feds .jmo

#1572 User is offline   fieldwalker 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationBOLDON COLLIERY
  • Club:BOLDON

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:23 AM

Used to always look forward to the gazette year book to see the results of the Scottish long distance men.
Kevin McFarlane

#1573 User is offline   dkj 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:30 AM

We will end up like the Irish 450ml for the longest race, and when you lose a long distance race they are hard to get back,
2nd open snfc ancenis 2013,
3rd open snfc ancenis 2013,
3rd open snfc eastbourne 2008,
4th open snfc ancenis 2014,
10th open snfc reims 2010,
10th open snfc ancenis 2013,
10th open snfc ancenis 2016,
11th open snfc ancenis 2015,

#1574 User is online   dal2 

• High Ranking

Posted 18 November 2018 - 18:53 PM

View Posteastcoaster, on 17 November 2018 - 21:25 PM, said:

BARCELONA !!!

Camping in yer garden Colin no racing. The membership speaks with its entries I'm afraid...far more interest in the 300mile races than the water

#1575 User is offline   eastcoaster 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationGreengairs

Posted 18 November 2018 - 19:50 PM

View Postdal2, on 18 November 2018 - 18:53 PM, said:

Camping in yer garden Colin no racing. The membership speaks with its entries I'm afraid...far more interest in the 300mile races than the water

No balls for the challenge . Every pigeon in your loft can do 300 mls on day how many can do 550 on day ?
I,m afraid scottish distance racing is on it's knees because fanciers like yourself won't face the challenge , in history of distance racing the scottish pigeons were sought after the reason the Snfc was formed was for distance minded men who wanted to test their pigeons and themselves but when fanciers of your obvious ability think we should make it easier then we are finished .
This is my opinion just like you have yours.

#1576 User is online   dal2 

• High Ranking

Posted 18 November 2018 - 20:42 PM

View Posteastcoaster, on 18 November 2018 - 18:50 PM, said:

No balls for the challenge . Every pigeon in your loft can do 300 mls on day how many can do 550 on day ?
I,m afraid scottish distance racing is on it's knees because fanciers like yourself won't face the challenge , in history of distance racing the scottish pigeons were sought after the reason the Snfc was formed was for distance minded men who wanted to test their pigeons and themselves but when fanciers of your obvious ability think we should make it easier then we are finished .
This is my opinion just like you have yours.

I've had a go Colin and have tickets from Nantes, Tours etc.....a 3rd open included....just pointing out that shorter distance seems popular and a club that can envelope all will surely be far more successful than one that lives in the past. Have as many long races as you like.....but make them viable.....and don't blame members that race every weekend and choose their races just like yourself

#1577 User is offline   johnnybundy 

• Hatchling
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2018 - 21:04 PM

That is why the sport is great it is a art for every distance from feeding to training each to there own but great reading about them all ie sprint wining maybe 10 first or a distance bird bursting its gut flying 12 to 15 hours but the old days was good when ther was no birds home on the day and up at 4 and the race is on

#1578 User is offline   eastcoaster 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationGreengairs

Posted 18 November 2018 - 21:16 PM

View Postdal2, on 18 November 2018 - 20:42 PM, said:

I've had a go Colin and have tickets from Nantes, Tours etc.....a 3rd open included....just pointing out that shorter distance seems popular and a club that can envelope all will surely be far more successful than one that lives in the past. Have as many long races as you like.....but make them viable.....and don't blame members that race every weekend and choose their races just like yourself

As I say it is more disappointing when a guy along with your father has been there done it comes on and thinks it should be easier for the gold cup a race that most of us grew up dreaming of a time in never mind winning .
I am 61 and was in tears last year when I found out my pigeon had won his sect in gold cup but have won many club ,fed races when racing with the brother and none ever had me in that state that is what it means to me .

#1579 User is offline   johnnybundy 

• Hatchling
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2018 - 21:37 PM

I can don't no how I would be I think I would be the Same mate I love national racing all way s had from I was a boy watching my dads pigeons coming home come home from the race I'm 47 and love the sport my hi light was when I was 10 and timed in 4. Pigeons for my dads neighbour in Frunt of my dad as the neighbour had to go to work I when to school buzzing that day the 4 birds was well in I think it was averanches at that time I felt bad for my dad sorry dad

#1580 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 19 November 2018 - 23:20 PM

Och Well,, back to "NATURAL".. With the hens turning in a 90 minute fly to-day all is definitely OK with them and feed has been reduced to 28 Grams of a rich mixture this past week, Rather than putting them on a Barley mix I will just cut the feed back as and when required.
Regarding winter flying, I had time to remember when in Wales the boss brought his race horses back from Ireland and fed them a High Energy feed without them having the freedom of the paddock to burn the energy off, with the result they went hyper, severely injuring the stable girl when she went near them. At all times I enter the Loft the Colony want to have the freedom of the skies which is why they are out in alternating days whenever possible. Nobody has ever divulged to me why a race team should be incarcerated over the Winter months. How, Why, do I know they want out to burn up the sky ??. Quite easy as they all head onto the veranda waiting for me to open the inner door to freedom whereupon they all bail out in seconds.

• (80 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders