peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very droll. :)

Just a wee bit of humour in this time of year when all the Y/B perches are devoid of occupation, Hopefully it will brighten up your day and bring a smile back to your faces.

My youngsters are just starting to take flight into the blue and will have all Winter and Spring before entering the fray of racing.

Down in the loft to-day had me scraping the boxes and floor completing the daily clean with the hoover to remove any feathers missed, How I came to having 90 birds in the loft has had me scratching my head however closing the Stock/aviary loft and moving the inmates over accounted for some and although starting the season with 50 racers I only lost 15 racing so I have roughly 40 Late Breeds to Winter. Every time I am in the loft I am looking for droppings not perfect or wattles not 100% as they will be moved on. The loft itself can accommodate all at the moment however I have great difficulty identifying birds I am specifically looking for which is annoying but this is an age thing and a heavy moult competes the problem. A 3 year old Cock is sitting china eggs and is so low in the bowl you would not know he was there and wish he had been like that back in July but their is always next year to look forward to.

My experience with the Barley Straw would appear to have been not what I wished as it ended up breaking down after a month or two,, So its a definite no go and the scraper hoovering up after is back on the cards for the future. Clenliness is Godliness as the old saying goes is true, with less dust in the atmosphere and a cleaner environment for me and the flock.

Chatting to a club mate recently regarding the state of affairs and Y/B losses devastating the Fed should perhaps see a different change in the way we conduct our Race programme next year for the benefit off the birds instead of the way it has been over the last couple of years. Time will tell.

I am sure I have said it before that 100 miles is far enough for all Young Bird races and no need to basket on a Friday for a race on a Saturday.. Less time in the basket == Better returns..

I really grieves me to write this story about my old mate Eddy who passed away back in May and with the disposal of all his birds. Out of his memory his Old Bird team was transferred into my stock loft where they bred a team of youngsters, All appeared not as I would have wished with nest casualties and after inspection those which warranted a place in my racing loft were moved over. All went well for a couple of weeks when suddenly they developed some malady and were disposed off and the Stock loft was opened up and all given their freedom. After a week and all Eddie's birds picked up from his loft I disposed of those which had problems and within 2 days what was left of his birds had been broken and put in my racing loft. Now whatever affected Eddie's birds did not affect mine and I recalled a conversation we had back in January prior to Eddy Pairing up which was that he always treated his team with Baytril for a couple of days and I had said he would kill the immune system which is the only denominator I can determine in the loss of so many of his birds as my stock has been perfect. The moral being WHY are some feeding anti-biotics when there is nothing wrong with the flock..

To-day had me starting the clear out of the aviary stock loft with the intention of the nest boxes being fitted into the race loft taking my box accommodation up to 40, As I only fly Natural and have no intention of ever keeping prisoner stock again nor racing youngsters, the work should keep me occupied for a day or two. The stock loft will be converted into a food and Bric a Brac store.. The 90 inmates I had last week is now 80 with one doing a kamakazi into a lamppost and the rest just not good enough which was unfortunate and I am still looking daily for further reduction.

This past couple of months had me taking my finger off the pulse in the loft [so to speak] and I have reaped what I have sown..

For more years than I can remember when weaning youngsters I always gave them 100 Mg of Ronadizanole for Canker and vaccinated for Para which practice I carried out till May this year breeding from Stock and Race team.

All Youngsters bred since then have been left to their own devices and immunity which to-day has seen the last of them being disposed off with an unidentified illness and a 3 Year Old Hen which I believe was the carrier.

None of the birds bred before May were affected and are in perfect health [ Famous Last Words ]..

Having been a fancier for 60 years I have never came across the ailment which has affected my flock and had to dispose of so many daily.. The flock is now down to 60 with a daily loss of one or two albeit youngsters, They can be perfect to-day but to-morrow will no doubt have me dispose of others, Where will it all end !!!.

Having been a fancier for 60 years I have never came across the ailment which has affected my flock and had to dispose of so many daily.. The flock is now down to 60 with a daily loss of one or two albeit youngsters, They can be perfect to-day but to-morrow will no doubt have me dispose of others, Where will it all end !!!.

It will all end if you give them vetramox Peter

Blind treating is the reason I will not use Anti-Biotics and Avian vets in this neck of the woods are as rare as hens teeth,, In fact I know of none. Speaking to Holly at De-Weerdt I have requested sampling gear and will have Dropping and Crop swabs sent down for analysis on Monday.

Going through what is left of the Colony had my attention focused on a youngster [ lovely Red Cock] which I thought was one of birds brought in and on inspection turned out to be a stray which has been there since July and Wing Stamped with the owners phone number which I called apologising for not informing him earlier due to my inattention. It transpired that his flock had contracted Paramyxovirus and had lost most of his youngsters back in July which would have been about the time it arrived in my loft.. Coincidence perhaps but it would answer many questions and time will tell.. Colony now at 51..

Hi peter had paramyxovirus myself about 5\6 year ago lost 23 in 2 days most were disposed of ,I brought 6 young birds in from a fancier we both know,I forgot to vaccinate 1 bird [own fault] it’s sad to watch and it will never happen again in my watch

guys did you know that vaccinated pigeons can still get the parra virus as happened to my birds a few years ago something that not many of the vets will tell you when challenged there answer is yes but not as bad fact when i showed deffra my vaccination sheets showing that the birds were jagged they did not want to know told me to take it up with columbovac i said but i thought you guys policed vaccine in this country his answer was might have been a bad batch two weeks later columbovac was taken off the market go figure

I noticed that the info on Colombovac has changed. They no longer recommend jagging the youngsters, then following up with a booster after 6 weeks. Just the one jag is the recommendation. Perhaps a change to the vaccine strength. :)

yes thats how it used to be was it not, when did they start this 2 jag

Samples from crop and droppings were taken from the 4 worst Late Breeds in the loft and sent for analysis at Belgica De-Weerd with the results phoned to me by David Calbot informing me there was a middle to high Cocci count and middle to high Canker count also a trace of Paramixo. A new product developed by Belgica which is not advertised was sent to me and a 7 day course is being carried out.. 4 days in and the response has been magnificent with the light now shining at the end of the tunnel. In our conversation abuse of Baytril and other Anti Biotics are devastating our pigeons with the immune system being destroyed especially in blind treating as specific Antis only destroy certain Bacteria but will leave other Bacteria in a strengthened position making the problem worse.. The only Youngsters left in my loft are from the ones I bred from my own team back in May as their Immune system had enough strength to counteract the introduction from my late mates birds, The moral is STOP blind treating with Anti Biotics and have your birds tested by experts.. For £10 which is only the price of a packet of fags you might curb the losses incurred when racing as I am now of the belief that it's not Hawks, Wind Turbines or any other that is responsible for racing losses but diseased birds in the basket through your misguided treatments.. Natural Immunity beats every disease within reason..

Put a proposal into the north west fed years ago along with Ian miller that we flew “3 races and then came back to the first race and went the 3 races again and carried on down the road. It was a resounding success and allowed the lads with young bird sickness to restart their birds and carry on the programme. If memory serves me right it was the most young birds we’ve had at an open for years.ill give yous 3 guesses what happened the following year. Doomen lol

Put a proposal into the north west fed years ago along with Ian miller that we flew “3 races and then came back to the first race and went the 3 races again and carried on down the road. It was a resounding success and allowed the lads with young bird sickness to restart their birds and carry on the programme. If memory serves me right it was the most young birds we’ve had at an open for years.ill give yous 3 guesses what happened the following year. Doomen lol

[/quote

Aye Martin it was the same when I was flying into Hatfield, Y/B racing was 60 mile then 100 mile back to 60 mile then 100 mile and losses were not unacceptable with those type of races Birds were given the chance if they missed a week and were not too far out if they took a wrong turn. The last race was an Open at 135 mile which was deemed far enough.

If memory serves me correct I started with 18 and completed the programme with 17, NUFF Said..

Now that the 7 day course of medication is complete I can in all honesty say that the flock is in fine fettle and the moult has not been affected with the treatment dispensed to the letter. Droppings rolling off the perches, Wattles snowy white and the team ready to roam the heavens again apart from those bereft of feathering on neck and head.. Feed has been given ad-lib with Beans, Maize, Wheat and Red Band, scoffing roughly 35 Grams daily. :drinking-coffee-200:

P.S. The flock now consists of 50 with only 6 youngsters left that were never infected..

With the flock confined to the loft due to the weather and the inside representing a burst pillow their is not much happening in the Metropolis, Over the last week or so I went back to years past and obtained a 30 gallon plastic bucket and filled with tap water stirring furiously with a paint stirrer attached to a drill to rid the liquid of Chlorine. Putting 2 whole Garlics segmented to about 12 in total and allowing them to grow has given me a supply of garlic water for the birds.. Does it do any good ?, well I don't know but it sure smells Garlicky and so far they have not complained. It was something I done for many years before going down South and introduced it to C.Js, Certainly perked his birds up and only requires topping up once the bucket is down to 1/4 full..

With the colony now looking like pigeons again and free from whatever malady they had the hens were given an Open Loft and had a bath after a 30 minute fly out of sight. It's marvellous how they were ugly Ducklings last week and now with their feathers renewed are looking like oil paintings. Still hoovering up feathers although it is only a fraction compared to the past fortnight, I am sure we are all in the same boat..

All is well with the colony although sadly depleted and with only 3 youngsters surviving from 60/70 bred this year it has transpired a years breeding has gone, am I disappointed ?, You can be assured I am, and from now on security regarding strays will have to be the watchword.

100% attention which took a back seat when Wee Mary went for a holiday will hopefully not be repeated although she was quite happy to notice my feed bill has halved and according to her we can now have a wee holiday with the savings.. I soon quashed that idea and purchased 6 months feeding to-day, I received a lump on the back of my head as a reply. :emoticon-0136-giggle: