Natural

peter pandy

I was at the loft around midday today and whilst standing talking to Tam in the next run to ours we seen a batch of about 20 trainers going over us there are some crazy doo men about Pedro that's for sure o'C and light snow at the time and training some mental people in the doo game....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With white stuff covering the garden, the colony confined to the loft the past 5 days and a wind chill factor bringing minus degree temps it is not congestive for man nor beast, However needs must be attended to as it is a 365 day "hobby" just like an every day function.

At the club to-day it was mentioned that the early breeding has not been very successful but I kept my trap shut.. Although sitting here I am inwardly smiling at the foolishness of it all, Still not a bud to be seen on the trees or hedges and no wild birds going to nest, OOPS apart from streeters. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Watched a blue tit and a sparrow take the downfeather that had blown out the stock loft door this morning for there nests

Watched a blue tit and a sparrow take the downfeather that had blown out the stock loft door this morning for there nests

Down in the stock loft??? Yer treating them too well lol

With white stuff covering the garden, the colony confined to the loft the past 5 days and a wind chill factor bringing minus degree temps it is not congestive for man nor beast, However needs must be attended to as it is a 365 day "hobby" just like an every day function.

At the club to-day it was mentioned that the early breeding has not been very successful but I kept my trap shut.. Although sitting here I am inwardly smiling at the foolishness of it all, Still not a bud to be seen on the trees or hedges and no wild birds going to nest, OOPS apart from streeters. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Just breed some babies before May ye numpty......then he can RACE them instead of looking at them?

I think its wild birds that build nests in sheltered places,notice robin and wrens carrying at the allotment,plenty places

there to shelter tho a new pair of magpies have built in a tall leafless tree 6 yards behind the loft so now iv 2 pairs 1 infront 30yards and 1 behind.

going to leave them because without tempting fate them things that take pigeons have left me alone(not saying the name...fatal).

Blue sky and sunshine the past two days saw temps hitting 16c inside the loft and a couple of feathers thrown from the Late Breeds lying on the straw.

Hens out AM and Cocks out PM is the start of the programme before pairing at the end of the Month and feed reduced to 1oz per bird getting rid of any excess fat within the body cavities. At feeding time I expect them to run towards me with wings in the air and all having an excellent appetite looking for more when the trough is empty, Perhaps being a wee bit hard hearted but needs must to be a success. Both sexes are flying high in the sky again for a good period and the Cocks do not appear to be traumatised by their experience although on hitting the loft roof has them looking skyward so perhaps it has woken them into awareness which cannot be a bad thing.

With the weather lately being kinder on my old bones it has seen me sitting watching the birds exercise from the greenhouse and it came to me that you can look upon the birds flight in the same format as race horses, When I let them out they initially take off like rockets or in another context at a "gallop" returning later to buzz around the roof tops lazily or a "canter", Just my observation, However when they are disturbed they are away at a "gallop" again.

The Roundabout !!. Up till last year their would be 2 vehicles per minute approaching it however with the main road through the Metropolis having 5 sets of traffic lights installed where before there were none we now have tailbacks half mile long and vehicle users are travelling the side streets to avoid them resulting in the Avenue and Roundabout being used by 20 vehicles a minute passing bye. The quicker I can get out of this area the better for all concerned.

Hens out this morning saw them disappear West and not returning for 90 minutes so one can say for definite, that they are fit and ready for pairing in 7 days, I noticed that a pair of Cocks have started looking at each other which reminded me that I had this phenomenon last year with the same Cock but he has his eye on a Late Breed this year.

All the Nest pans will be taken into the kitchen to-morrow and thoroughly washed then put in the Micro-Wave for drying and killing any germs lurking in cracks which cannot be seen with the naked eye then sprayed with Jeyes Fluid and stored in the Greenhouse till filled with clean straw and put in a Nest Box next Saturday, Only when that is completed will the Section door be opened fully and allow the colony to pair as they wish which has been my practice for more years than I can remember, I have wrote in the past that I have never met the fancier who can pair two birds together and guarantee winners which is only luck but at least they will be happy with each other. Love pairing is what it really is when practicing NATURAL.

Hens out this morning saw them disappear West and not returning for 90 minutes so one can say for definite, that they are fit and ready for pairing in 7 days, I noticed that a pair of Cocks have started looking at each other which reminded me that I had this phenomenon last year with the same Cock but he has his eye on a Late Breed this year.

All the Nest pans will be taken into the kitchen to-morrow and thoroughly washed then put in the Micro-Wave for drying and killing any germs lurking in cracks which cannot be seen with the naked eye then sprayed with Jeyes Fluid and stored in the Greenhouse till filled with clean straw and put in a Nest Box next Saturday, Only when that is completed will the Section door be opened fully and allow the colony to pair as they wish which has been my practice for more years than I can remember, I have wrote in the past that I have never met the fancier who can pair two birds together and guarantee winners which is only luck but at least they will be happy with each other. Love pairing is what it really is when practicing NATURAL.

They left for 90mins? fielding

They left for 90mins? fielding

Fielding Steve has not been on the cards for more than 50 years since the introduction of Minerals. Prior to that most birds in the area went to the shallow banks on the river Forth and returned up to their knees and faces covered in black muck as they raked about for salt. I can only say that those days are happily in the past and distant memories as the birds now have everything laid on a plate for them in the Loft. I suppose there are the odd one or two fanciers still about who took their birds in a basket to a field a couple of miles away and scattered some seed around the basket then slowly dropped the front where they would come out and pick around before departing and if done often enough they will eventually continue to return to the field looking for a bit that has been scattered around on a weekly basis by the fancier, I am sure Eddy Newcomb practiced it as his birds were on open bole and went back and forward all day long, Nae training basket for him and the birds were kept fit on the cheap flying to one field in particular two miles away.

Fielding Steve has not been on the cards for more than 50 years since the introduction of Minerals. Prior to that most birds in the area went to the shallow banks on the river Forth and returned up to their knees and faces covered in black muck as they raked about for salt. I can only say that those days are happily in the past and distant memories as the birds now have everything laid on a plate for them in the Loft. I suppose there are the odd one or two fanciers still about who took their birds in a basket to a field a couple of miles away and scattered some seed around the basket then slowly dropped the front where they would come out and pick around before departing and if done often enough they will eventually continue to return to the field looking for a bit that has been scattered around on a weekly basis by the fancier, I am sure Eddy Newcomb practiced it as his birds were on open bole and went back and forward all day long, Nae training basket for him and the birds were kept fit on the cheap flying to one field in particular two miles away.

Where are they gaun for 90 mins Peter?

Where are they gaun for 90 mins Peter?

Wrote about this before and really do not want to keep repeating myself so to reiterate.. My Yearlings are LATE BREEDS and only about 6-7 Months old so are reacting and doing what youngsters do at that age and go running, You wont have that experience if you breed in January and at 6 months you will no doubt have not allowed them that freedom due in all probability to having them basket trained. Once they have been in a basket you wont have them run.. SIMPLES. It is one reason I prefer Late Breeds.

Wrote about this before and really do not want to keep repeating myself so to reiterate.. My Yearlings are LATE BREEDS and only about 6-7 Months old so are reacting and doing what youngsters do at that age and go running, You wont have that experience if you breed in January and at 6 months you will no doubt have not allowed them that freedom due in all probability to having them basket trained. Once they have been in a basket you wont have them run.. SIMPLES. It is one reason I prefer Late Breeds.

Away and chase yersel......am doing it all wrong.......never....ever....ever...have I had birds....young or old....dark or natural..fly out of sight and not return to sight in 90 mins. Sorry Pedro am no Gavin that lol

1976 and 1980 Young Birds were bred in March, late June and birds out at 6am not returning till 8am which was regular in those years but not so in other years and I do not know why !!. However in those two years they won the Federation Averages by a country mile beating 6,000 + birds weekly. I can tell you Stevie if I knew the reason they flew in such a manner I would have bottled it and sold it. And by the way they always headed East up into Fife..