Natural

peter pandy

Hows the bumped one in your tool shed doing?

You havent forgot you put it in there have you..

Naw I haven't forgot it and to be honest it is not looking good and did not expect it to last 24 Hrs, However it has picked up to-day but seems to have a hole in its crop but have not been able to locate it also all the feathers have been stripped off his back although the skin is not broken, Half his tail has gone and bruising on his chest and legs completes the injuries sustained.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three Cocks are still missing as the security camera showed 5 Birds hitting the van and the cloud of feathers hid the resulting disappearance to the outcome, All the neighbours have been asked to watch their gardens for any birds walking or lying in their gardens but as yet to no avail.

Its unfortunate that when released from the loft they can only go the one way which takes them over the roundabout and their have been a few near misses over the years. Thank goodness Double Decker buses no longer use this route.. The lesson learned is the bath will not be used again outside and the veranda will be modified to take it.

Hens out to-day and were out of sight as usual before I was out the loft putting in a good shift before returning to the area for a dawdle round the locality. It may be a bitingly cold wind here in the Metropolis but it certainly does not halt them from racing around the sky at a good rate.

The hospitalised Cock has made a good recovery and has been moved into the Hen section managing to get up onto the veranda for a drink and perching after a feed.

Terror Eyes Balloon was given its annual coat of Red Enamel paint and is hanging up to dry in my tool shed !, Jeez it gave me a fright when I went back in for feeding an hour later.

With 25 Hens and 40 Cocks "Stock Included", I am in a quandary as to what to put where, and am toying with the idea of leaving the Stock Cocks unpaired till Yearling Late Breeds racing has been completed.

Peter, how does the terror eyes work? Does it need suspended? I'm sure I seen one on a string from below, so thought it was helium filled or some such. :)

I have mine suspended from a gallow 12 Ft high and on a ring hook pulley as I take it down and unhook it when the birds are in the loft. Its only a case of blowing up from your lungs once a year. They are on "E" Bay or "Amazon" at £12. I can honestly recommend them.

Barley,, It would appear plays an influential part in modern technology in feeding techniques which I don't necessarily agree with however on making a more intensive study, It has brought forth an insight I never knew existed .. Their are numerous types and varieties with differing properties dependant on the use each variety is applied in terms of purpose.

I would if this blinking 10 year old machine would cease playing the funny beggar and respond to my administrations which it wont so it will require retiring until to-morrow when it will be replaced with a younger and more responsive model..

The Yearling Late Bred Cock which was at deaths door last Saturday and put in beside the Hens for a bit of recovery and convalescence went out for a fly to-day with the Hens, Jeez you could not make it up as speaking to Tiger last night my mind was made up to send him to the dovecote in the sky to-day.

The more I read about the previous post "Barley" the more complex it becomes,, So I will remain sceptical.

Many in the Metropolis have paired up and are finding a poor response from their inmates regarding laying "Don't ask me why ?". I know my colony is responding to my administrations exercising, and handling well with my Young Bird team ready for its first flight onto the veranda, I think its a Cock..

New model computer in operation..

When I attempt a subject I always try to explore the subject at length as knowledge whether great or small can be beneficial and not seen as the ramblings of an old coffin dodger.

Barley is Barley and their is no such thing as Malting Barley.

There are 2 types of Barley = 2 and 6 Ear, All Varieties off which their are many are capable of being Malted. Some types have a higher Protein content and are most suited for feed usage where others have a higher Carbohydrate content which can be converted to Sugars suitable for Beer making, But all can be Malted for differing reasons, eg Colour, Taste and Medication, Moisture content only equates the storage time and whether for human consumption such as Flour Meal or similar applications.

I wish now I had not looked at the subject but it has been interesting.. Information was gleaned from Wikipedia and other related sources..

On entering the loft this morning I was dismayed to find the Injured Late Breed dead in a corner and can only surmise internal injuries caused his demise.

Are you doing anything I enquired of Wee Mary ?, WHY ?, says she who is the boss, Well I could be doing with a wee hand in the loft to vaccinate the inmates and would really appreciate it says I, OK was her reply but you can make the dinner, I will try not to jag you was my get out of jail retort, So she relented and all was completed in jig-jag time including the Young Bird team of 1.. Dinner was Spag / Bol which she knows I abhor and was her way of getting one back on me.. All the colony is handling well as they should be at this time of year regardless of the rations they are receiving once daily and am now contemplating removing the morning meal in the future and feeding to appetite just the once after exercise. Nothing tried nothing gained..

Spag bol...to many carbs...

There will be no stopping you the next morning 😄

My usual morning routine was not affected with 2 dogs "Jack and Jill" to waken me when their needs are required and a wee walk to fetch the morning papers from the newsagent is quite bracing at this time of the year. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Heart in my mouth to-day with 30 Cocks out when a crow came over the top of the house giving them a fright. The bang as they took off had them crossing the Roundabout at the same time with the Birds below the group unable to gain height due to the downdraught of the birds wings above which had them at three feet high before rising, Had their been a vehicle in the vicinity then another accident would have occurred. Now I have never had this problem before and have to put it down to too many birds flying off at the same time. In the past I would never have had more than 20 flying out at any one time and the quicker I reduce the team the better, Perhaps being given 5 years notice to vacate the property by the Landlord will be a godsend prompting Wee Mary and I to look elsewhere with NO ROUNDABOUT or main Road adjacent..

I Peter beg to differ with regards malting barley ,there is such a thing as the brewers lay down the criteria for the grain bought buy them ,ie a good quality seed to be used ,a pure supply of the grain provided , no more than 5% broken grain ,moisture content of 13.5% if possible if it is to high the farmer is penalised ,high sugar count ,and a strain of barley that has a good germination score, and also farmers have decide at the start of the growing season if they are going to join the co/op and contract themselves and their crop to the brewery if they do the price of their crop is agreed by them and brewery ,so feed barley and malting barley are 2 different things.So if you wish to feed barley go to a farmer that grows barley for the breweries

Heart in my mouth to-day with 30 Cocks out when a crow came over the top of the house giving them a fright. The bang as they took off had them crossing the Roundabout at the same time with the Birds below the group unable to gain height due to the downdraught of the birds wings above which had them at three feet high before rising, Had their been a vehicle in the vicinity then another accident would have occurred. Now I have never had this problem before and have to put it down to too many birds flying off at the same time. In the past I would never have had more than 20 flying out at any one time and the quicker I reduce the team the better, Perhaps being given 5 years notice to vacate the property by the Landlord will be a godsend prompting Wee Mary and I to look elsewhere with NO ROUNDABOUT or main Road adjacent..

Simple put the back of loft against hedge facing into gap in houses

Simple put the back of loft against hedge facing into gap in houses

Not that simple John as Wee Mary would lose her flower bed and clothes drier area, plus thirty yards in front would have them facing three differing heights of cables reaching up to the house eaves and Street lighting poles.

Hope your broken ribs are easing off mate. :wacko:

The last couple of days has been marvellous for the birds with them flying high in the heavens and without the binoculars would not be seen which has been the reverse of earlier in the month with the obnoxious weather keeping them low round the rooftops. Long may it continue.

It shall not be long now till the Honeymoon period commences and no doubt exuberant mayhem will be the order of the day in the loft and to be perfectly honest I could not care where they go to nest as long as they are happy and contented, No doubt their will be problems as their are about 10 Cocks more than Hens, But I will do as I have done for many years and just open the section door and they are left to their own ministrations, It is rare to see any squabbling taking place with ample room abounding and floor nests in the straw deep litter just means watching where you put your size nines.

The Young Bird team has found the feeder and drinkers and now looking after itself having been Jagged on the required date and the needle has been put back into the fridge till later in the year.