Natural Daily Diary

#1241 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Locationscotland
  • Club:life

Posted 1 January 2018 - 20:49 PM

Up and about to-day and down to the loft through a water logged garden although I have umpteen rubber mats down which have allowed grass to grow through the holes and it was still squelching underneath, Oh well it is Winter.
In my last post I inadvertently put the wrong readings down for my barometer But no-one noticed the error !! Anyway 99.1 and 98.8 should have been 29.1 and 28.8 ins, The best barometer is the toilet water which disappears in the event of lows..
Being the 1st of the month the birds were treated as usual with FlightPath on 1Kg feed then when all cleaned up extra rations given to appetite.
The young Dk Cheq Hen laid her second egg at mid-day to-day and after feeding her Nest Mate went and sat on the eggs, I now know which is which and will make up my mind at a later date regarding the outcome. Found another young Cock in amongst the Hens section so he was promptly moved through.
All have been confined to the loft of late and appear happy enough with their circumstances with none moping and activity is high either in the nest boxes which they command from the block of wood they stand on or scratching about like chickens in the straw. The Hens on the other hand are quite happy on the plastic "V" perches where the droppings roll off into a trough underneath.. :lol: :lol:

#1242 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 2 January 2018 - 22:59 PM

Sitting here at my desk and watching the rain teeming down on my security cameras had me reminiscing about real champion pigeons which were few and far between in fact I suppose I have handled easily 100 National winning birds and on reflection they came in all differing sizes.
I suppose it is all down to what your preference is and I know many will disagree with my selection of what I personally would wish my team was like however they are virtually impossible to breed as they come along themselves and are the opposite of their parents so they have to be a "extraordinary" size.
To start with the Cocks must be large and bold headed, Chests that are extremely large, Not overly large in body length with wide rumps and here is the cracker they MUST have short stubby wings.
Hens are the same with cocky style heads, bodies like submarines which are virtually the same width from front to back and they too have short stubby wings.
So there you go...MY IDEAL PIGEON...and its 14 years since I had one like that in my hands.

#1243 User is offline   bluey 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 2 January 2018 - 23:29 PM

Very difficult to describe however here is my attempt.

Pigeons with good conformation will fit your hands no matter the size of your hands or the pigeon.

Sometimes they are wedge shaped, wide at the wing butts tapering back to a narrow tail, with others they are less wide at the front but still have an aerodynamic shape. All will have a tight vent and bright eyes when healthy and in good condition.

#1244 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 13 January 2018 - 22:14 PM

In the loft I have been scratching my head as to why over the last couple of days Late Bred Hens are turning into Cocks as four have apparently turned sex wise. With them out on alternating days and a richer feed they are indisposed to flying more than thirty minutes before popping down and only returning to the sky when interupted by a Seagull which I am sure they take as a peri with the narrow wings they have. The Jackdaws dont worry them in the least and would appear to be roof mates so all in all from the four hours of freedom to do as they wish I ascertained they would be stretching their wings for ninety minutes but not at a speed that was forthcoming when Barley was included in the rations.
My feeding method at the moment is 4 parts Beans,Peas and Tares with 1 Part Frazers Winter Mixture to which I add 1 handfull each of the following Linseed,Hormoform and grated Cheese mixed in then 1 handfull Palomas Power Mix which coats the mixture and given at 1oz per bird daily, Crivens they dont half look good..

#1245 User is offline   Delboy 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 13 January 2018 - 22:16 PM

Oi Pedro, your on the SNFC committee now, no more writings lol. Good luck with your new post
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#1246 User is offline   dal2 

• High Ranking
  • LocationEcclefechan, Scotland

Posted 13 January 2018 - 22:18 PM

View PostDelboy, on 13 January 2018 - 21:16 PM, said:

Oi Pedro, your on the SNFC committee now, no more writings lol. Good luck with your new post

Really......jeez

#1247 User is offline   Dave barrie 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2018 - 23:20 PM

joke at birds are to well spoilt , fatnlazy comes to mind peter.

#1248 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 14 January 2018 - 15:14 PM

View PostDave barrie, on 13 January 2018 - 23:20 PM, said:

joke at birds are to well spoilt , fatnlazy comes to mind peter.

Have you been speaking to Wee Mary ?? as she says I am fat and lazy although I keep telling her I am an invalid carrying pure muscle.
Anyway enough of that as the Cocks which were out to-day put in an excellent shift of 2 hours at speed. A treat to watch and it has been noticable in the past that when their is a lack of wind the birds do not put in the same effort as on a windy day such as to-day.

#1249 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

With all the gardens looking the same in a carpet of snow Winter wonderland is with us. Recently Mary and I were in our study reading the morning papers when their was an almighty bang on the window as a young Hen flew into it leaving a beautiful impression of wings and head on the glass which wee Mary says I can clean off, responding that it was a piece of nova art which could be termed as a master piece and worth a bob or two brought no truck with her as she returned with cleaning materials for me to get cracking, My disability proved its worth as I reminded her I was known to falling off ladders could see me hospitalised but I would do the gentlemanly thing and hold the steps for her to complete the operation !! This she duly done and I put the kettle on for a cuppa. It was brought to my attention by a local fancier friend that he had watched a hawk in amongst them that morning and they were scattered all over the sky regrouping and circling it at a great height but thankfully none were lost and all are accounted for.

#1250 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 20 January 2018 - 21:45 PM

Looking over my posts !! I have came to the conclusion that an earlier will have to be abandoned as a re-think has taken place within the old brainbox, I can only put the remarks made down to how I was feeling at the time but now we have both recovered and full of beans the future certainly looks a lot rosier.

I cannot make my mind up regarding breeding in Spring as I have definitely lost all interest in Y/B racing or the slaughter of the innocents as I am want to calling it and am more than content to take Late Breeds from all that have survived the rigours of racing out to the distance I have planned for them that way I will be breeding from birds with a proven Homing ability and give the youngsters the opportunity to develop over the Winter. Another thought is that I have 60 old birds in a 20 X 8 Loft and will be overcrowded with the introduction of an extra 50/60 youngsters into the colony.

#1251 User is offline   dal2 

• High Ranking

Posted 20 January 2018 - 22:00 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 20 January 2018 - 20:45 PM, said:

Looking over my posts !! I have came to the conclusion that an earlier will have to be abandoned as a re-think has taken place within the old brainbox, I can only put the remarks made down to how I was feeling at the time but now we have both recovered and full of beans the future certainly looks a lot rosier.

I cannot make my mind up regarding breeding in Spring as I have definitely lost all interest in Y/B racing or the slaughter of the innocents as I am want to calling it and am more than content to take Late Breeds from all that have survived the rigours of racing out to the distance I have planned for them that way I will be breeding from birds with a proven Homing ability and give the youngsters the opportunity to develop over the Winter. Another thought is that I have 60 old birds in a 20 X 8 Loft and will be overcrowded with the introduction of an extra 50/60 youngsters into the colony.

Give yersel a break old yin and just breed some birds ready tae race in July....nae P***...just race yer young and we won't have to read yer mince about latebreds under performing...

#1252 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 20 January 2018 - 22:15 PM

Aw Steve, I thought you would have understood that an overcrowded loft was a disaster in the making {self}. Plus the aulder you get the harder it becomes in identifying your birds without looking at ring colours especially when they mostly look like peas in a pod LOL.

#1253 User is offline   dal2 

• High Ranking

Posted 20 January 2018 - 22:18 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 20 January 2018 - 21:15 PM, said:

Aw Steve, I thought you would have understood that an overcrowded loft was a disaster in the making {self}. Plus the aulder you get the harder it becomes in identifying your birds without looking at ring colours especially when they mostly look like peas in a pod LOL.

Get some winners......spot them frae miles lol

#1254 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 20 January 2018 - 22:21 PM

Winners !!! Crivens I cannae even spot the Dumplings LOL.

#1255 User is offline   dal2 

• High Ranking

Posted 20 January 2018 - 22:26 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 20 January 2018 - 21:21 PM, said:

Winners !!! Crivens I cannae even spot the Dumplings LOL.

Sure ye can....

#1256 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 20 January 2018 - 22:28 PM

View Postdal2, on 20 January 2018 - 22:26 PM, said:

Sure ye can....

Only when wrapped in a cloot..

#1257 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 22 January 2018 - 18:09 PM

Clooty Dumplings with silver threepennies in them, brought back memories of another time when my Mum made meals folk would turn their nose up at nowadays, Scotch Broth for starters followed by Tripe, Liver, Rabbit, Tongue or Kidney, were all on the weekly menu along with a pudding of home made Rice or Custard with a dollop of home made Jam. Aye and mostly just a memory unless I make it myself says Wee Mary.

#1258 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 23 January 2018 - 20:36 PM

The Dk Cheq Late breed nest pair who laid 1st Jan and sat the eggs, hatched a single youngster with the other egg empty. Now it must be all of 60 years since I had a youngster in January so it will be rung to-morrow and will see how it transpires. Aye Stevie I might be racing a young bird this year after all !!!.
If you say Black then I will say White as I am the kind of person who likes to get a reaction through conversation of a subject.
The Pigeon game is one where opposites can quantify results, For instance "The large team" V "The Small team" or "Widowhood V Natural" or the "Cock V Hen".. They are all opposites and yet both can be successful. Their just ain't no hard and fast rules in this sport which is why I will feed a rich diet other than a Barley one which is cheap crap.

#1259 User is offline   dal2 

• High Ranking

Posted 23 January 2018 - 20:43 PM

View Postpeter pandy, on 23 January 2018 - 19:36 PM, said:

The Dk Cheq Late breed nest pair who laid 1st Jan and sat the eggs, hatched a single youngster with the other egg empty. Now it must be all of 60 years since I had a youngster in January so it will be rung to-morrow and will see how it transpires. Aye Stevie I might be racing a young bird this year after all !!!.
If you say Black then I will say White as I am the kind of person who likes to get a reaction through conversation of a subject.
The Pigeon game is one where opposites can quantify results, For instance "The large team" V "The Small team" or "Widowhood V Natural" or the "Cock V Hen".. They are all opposites and yet both can be successful. Their just ain't no hard and fast rules in this sport which is why I will feed a rich diet other than a Barley one which is cheap crap.

Yes deffo right there Peter one man's pleasure is another's poison. I'm not a big fan of barley and neither are the birds. Any that is in my winter feed usually gets going oot lol

#1260 User is offline   peter pandy 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationscotland

Posted 25 January 2018 - 20:55 PM

With a carpet of snow covering the gardens recently it was that perfect occasion to see if any vermin was prowling about but all to be seen was a fox track in the neighbour's garden as it made its way from the Avenue through to the road avoiding my garden like the plague. Perhaps it had been zapped previously.

I had just started feeding the birds when a visitor called and entered the loft, Well everything came to a standstill and the colony were not happy campers at a stranger being amongst them refusing to eat another Bean and ready for flight, so as politely as possible without actually throwing him bodily from the loft I put the light out and locked up. When he departed after two coffee's I re-entered the loft and the feeder was as when I left.. The moral being ""Never Let A Stranger In Your Loft At Feeding Time"".

• (76 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders