Natural

peter pandy

Still having a problem with the magpies, "3", as they appear to have invited their friends along to join in the chase, However watching the antics employed with the amount of disturbance caused I have went on open bowl from 09.00 till 19.45 and reckon the birds are up in the air six hours with 15 minute intervals. At least it is keeping them fit and alert. Feed back on Winter rations once daily at 20.00 Hrs.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Larsen jnr is best ,just make fake nest with pigeon eggs in put in a corner of your garden it can take a couple of days to catch first one ,stick live one in a homing cage type thing with food and water sit the jnr trap on top and you will catch one every day if they are there, remember you must feed and water as it's the law !.

Perhaps my patience is letting me down with the Magpie problem, I have continually shifted the trap to new locations in the garden and although I have watched them on my CCTV dancing about the top they have disappointed me by not carrying out the function of being nosey Bassas and taking a drop down. To succeed one must endeavour to persevere !!.

Thanks for the info Eastcoaster and am giving your suggestion a couple of days in the one location.

Twa Hens in the loft now eying me and wondering why they only have one china when they were sure there was two when the Cock sat down at 11.00 Hrs.

Hi Peter ..great to see this thread still going strong ...i had same problem with magpies recently ...swoop done on birds and chase them all over ...i loaned a 22 and sorted that out ...hope u sort ur problem ..regards MiK

Perhaps my patience is letting me down with the Magpie problem, I have continually shifted the trap to new locations in the garden and although I have watched them on my CCTV dancing about the top they have disappointed me by not carrying out the function of being nosey Bassas and taking a drop down. To succeed one must endeavour to persevere !!.

Thanks for the info Eastcoaster and am giving your suggestion a couple of days in the one location.

Twa Hens in the loft now eying me and wondering why they only have one china when they were sure there was two when the Cock sat down at 11.00 Hrs.

Caught 10 last year and 5 in 5 days so far but none today as early morning is best time to catch them .

6 in 6 days that should give the wee birds in garden peace.

Edited by eastcoaster

hello Peter , are you suggesting the 2 hens have lost a potty egg to the Magpie ??

Aye Andy, a china egg out of two nests meant twa disgruntled Hens LOL. Another day passes and still nought captured and the colony is forced into exercise whether they like it or not, Me, I am happy to see them in the air with their rations cut and all in marvellous condition as I ascertained when handling some of them. Slipping through my hands with air sacs full and supple muscles told me all I wanted to know regarding their ability to start racing which unfortunately seems to be put back again with a further lockdown by the U.K. government.

As regards another post about trainers going overhead ??, I would have thought they COULD have been Youngsters out running.

Aye Andy, a china egg out of two nests meant twa disgruntled Hens LOL. Another day passes and still nought captured and the colony is forced into exercise whether they like it or not, Me, I am happy to see them in the air with their rations cut and all in marvellous condition as I ascertained when handling some of them. Slipping through my hands with air sacs full and supple muscles told me all I wanted to know regarding their ability to start racing which unfortunately seems to be put back again with a further lockdown by the U.K. government.

As regards another post about trainers going overhead ??, I would have thought they COULD have been Youngsters out running.

theres your perfect solution to bait the trap . nest bowl and potty eggs as bait !! good luck Peter .

Well in the loft to-day a couple of Hens have sat long enough and decided enough is enough and said to their Cocks, Right its time for nookie again and see if you can build a better home (nest) than the last one. Oh and by the way I ain't going outside to get chased by they black & white Bassa's so you will just have to make do inside until the BOSS catches the beggars in that stupid trap. More money than sense I heard wee Mary say to him..

The Bassa finally caught one coming out the bath and although escaping left a handful of feathers on the lawn so the colony in now on lock down till Its caught.

All the Hens have now vacated their nests so with the unlikely hood of racing commencing I have separated till the future unfolds. I have went through the colony and am pleased with the results so decided I could find none to dispose of which means I will not be rearing youngsters this year. Nothing,, other than with nigh on 60 inmates the colony is enough for me look after properly, Yearlings will be trained out when Mrs Krankie gives her permission to do so.

It appears to be an impossible situation as they are only putting in an appearance when the colony lands after exercise although the trap which is set 24 Hrs is catching numerous Starlings which I free on every occasion the Bassa's are more concerned in chasing pigeons regardless.

It would probably be easier capturing a Tiger although being so stout you would not get through the gate. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

The Magpies are still giving me the run around however the colony is putting in a good hour or so with them now aware that they are troublesome "Just like wee Tiger" LOL.

I am sure we are all in the same boat with this Lockdown however we could surely and safely resume racing if we adhere to the BE ALERT issued by our Government and maintain our distances.

Judging by the traffic going through the roundabout it is back to normal for motorists and trucks.

Pigeon wise, the colony is in fine fettle and on roundabout till training resumes.

Trapping one Maggie has not encouraged others to follow suit with 6 of its pals having a look at it and no doubt laughing at its stupidity in getting caught !!, well that's what it looks like to me..

The loft has been transformed this past few days to look like a burst pillow with the amount of down feathers around requiring hoovering daily which is a welcome problem knowing all is well with the colony.

Having resorted to my idea of separation the Hens are out A.M. and the Cocks P.M. for a good exercise high up which is to be expected with small balls of manure deposited and rolling off the V perches onto the floor.

I notice that some fanciers are castigating others for training and cannot for the love of me understand what the problem is ??. You basket your birds at the loft then put them in the car where you and they are isolated from any other living creature then drive away for a training toss usually at a place that is devoid of humans and release them, back into the isolation off your car and home for a cuppa. When somebody can tell me where the problem is and prepared to discuss the properties of isolation then perhaps we can stop being negative..

Wee Mary when sitting in the garden soaking up the sunshine says, if you are bored why don't you make a start on the hedges !. Well says I heading into the sanctum of the loft avoiding any further discussion for a couple of hours "Busy".

That bought me a space in time to come up with an excuse and had a brainwave,, Coming out the loft I said have you noticed the Blackbirds and Hedge Sparrows have been carrying worms etc and its obvious they have a nest in there and feeding youngsters however my dear if you want me to be responsible for their demise then I will make a start. One second later Wee Mary says, will it not be better to wait a couple of weeks !,, Yes that would be a great idea and will you make me a cuppa while I get comfy on my sun lounger. Life in the old dog yet..

Wee Mary when sitting in the garden soaking up the sunshine says, if you are bored why don't you make a start on the hedges !. Well says I heading into the sanctum of the loft avoiding any further discussion for a couple of hours "Busy".

That bought me a space in time to come up with an excuse and had a brainwave,, Coming out the loft I said have you noticed the Blackbirds and Hedge Sparrows have been carrying worms etc and its obvious they have a nest in there and feeding youngsters however my dear if you want me to be responsible for their demise then I will make a start. One second later Wee Mary says, will it not be better to wait a couple of weeks !,, Yes that would be a great idea and will you make me a cuppa while I get comfy on my sun lounger. Life in the old dog yet..

That's until I tell her different lol