Natural

peter pandy

Full on mental........untested late breds over spring bred youngsters.....cmon Peter

A lot of folk are now breeding later ybs and just training them. This is to avoid YB sickness.Its a short enough season without missing races in my opinion.I cannot understand anybody missing any race ( especially ybs), I think its an excuse because they are pi sh at it. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of folk are now breeding later ybs and just training them. This is to avoid YB sickness.Its a short enough season without missing races in my opinion.I cannot understand anybody missing any race ( especially ybs), I think its an excuse because they are pi sh at it. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

:emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I canny get my head roon it Derek......why make an already difficult job harder??

Thank-you for your input George and I was thinking the Late Breds would satisfy me doing 300 miles this year and your advice on fitness is spot on. We can have the best blood in the world but it means nothing without Fitness regardless of the distance.

Peter, after reading most of the opinions re L/Bs, I have bred some really good ones in years gone by. In 1980 I topped the Fed two weeks running, a 2y old at Cheltenham the at Avranches a 3 y old. Have a few since inc. the hen which was 2nd Sect. 6th open Alencon 3 years ago. she flew 150 miles as a ylg then Ypres as 2y old, went to Alencon following year the opposite side of the country and and scored. but I have always maintained that L/Bs are the backbone of the stock loft.I put a pair or two by of my performance birds every year and they would be mated to either yearlings from proven birds or as i prefer nowadays

to older stock to preserve the vigour in the mating. Always look forward to reading other opinions on any thing re. pigeons helps to keep the old mind working reflecting ones own experiences, however

you cannot compare racing nowadays compared to the past decades, its a different ball game now with all the BOP and perhaps a few modern environmental issues.

Peter, after reading most of the opinions re L/Bs, I have bred some really good ones in years gone by. In 1980 I topped the Fed two weeks running, a 2y old at Cheltenham the at Avranches a 3 y old. Have a few since inc. the hen which was 2nd Sect. 6th open Alencon 3 years ago. she flew 150 miles as a ylg then Ypres as 2y old, went to Alencon following year the opposite side of the country and and scored. but I have always maintained that L/Bs are the backbone of the stock loft.I put a pair or two by of my performance birds every year and they would be mated to either yearlings from proven birds or as i prefer nowadays

to older stock to preserve the vigour in the mating. Always look forward to reading other opinions on any thing re. pigeons helps to keep the old mind working reflecting ones own experiences, however

you cannot compare racing nowadays compared to the past decades, its a different ball game now with all the BOP and perhaps a few modern environmental issues.

Percentage of good yins Jim? Is it viable to have a team full 9 months after their birth and expect results? Am saying no chance

" CHANGE " Some fanciers don't want to try anything new because it has always been done that way and to CHANGE would upset the equilibrium of their comfort zone.

I can say that I am not one of those who wishes CHANGE for CHANGE sake rather the opposite. The way I see anything is, you will never know until you try it.

Regarding Late Breeds, I have had some memorable results with them in the past and am sure I wont be disappointed in the future. Some of the comments I could take to task but I am sure they were written with tongue in cheek.

I do believe in other posts regarding race programmes some wished for CHANGE but no one votes for CHANGE, "Comfort Zone".

If I had my way Federation racing would be no further than 150 miles every week with two races at 80 miles to get you there. Combines and Nationals to cater for those who wish to go further and that would give those who wished it two races per week-end. This is how Feds down South operate and they are very successful with fewer losses and birdage virtually the same every week. I write from experience having been a member of many Clubs and Federations when working in England and Wales.

Aye that would be a CHANGE for the better..

Aye a race programme that went 150 miles would deffo suit someone wae a team of untested late breds.....wait a minute.....Is that not just a normal yb programme???.

Are you seriously telling us that what has went for 150yr in pigeons racing has now to be CHANGED cos late breds are the future? Tried....tested...found to be hard work

" CHANGE " Some fanciers don't want to try anything new because it has always been done that way and to CHANGE would upset the equilibrium of their comfort zone.

I can say that I am not one of those who wishes CHANGE for CHANGE sake rather the opposite. The way I see anything is, you will never know until you try it.

Regarding Late Breeds, I have had some memorable results with them in the past and am sure I wont be disappointed in the future. Some of the comments I could take to task but I am sure they were written with tongue in cheek.

I do believe in other posts regarding race programmes some wished for CHANGE but no one votes for CHANGE, "Comfort Zone".

If I had my way Federation racing would be no further than 150 miles every week with two races at 80 miles to get you there. Combines and Nationals to cater for those who wish to go further and that would give those who wished it two races per week-end. This is how Feds down South operate and they are very successful with fewer losses and birdage virtually the same every week. I write from experience having been a member of many Clubs and Federations when working in England and Wales.

Aye that would be a CHANGE for the better..

Peter we were forced to change after our lofts were burned down and i have to say we are willing to change every year from race system feeding our training if it helps us to win we will try anything!!!

Aye a race programme that went 150 miles would deffo suit someone wae a team of untested late breds.....wait a minute.....Is that not just a normal yb programme???.

Are you seriously telling us that what has went for 150yr in pigeons racing has now to be CHANGED cos late breds are the future? Tried....tested...found to be hard work

Stevie I had you down as a clever cent however it shows how wrong one can be LOL.

150 Miles racing every week does not knock the stuffing out of your National candidates nor your Yearlings where they can be jumped 150 miles into 300 miles fresh and fit. Injured birds can be brought back to race fitness instead of being 300 mile behind in a race programme that has been unchanged in 150 years..

Peter we were forced to change after our lofts were burned down and i have to say we are willing to change every year from race system feeding our training if it helps us to win we will try anything!!!

Like you Alf, I change most years and try to move with new ideas and motivation tricks which I don't know if they will work or not !!, But at least I will give it a go whether it works or not..

Stevie I had you down as a clever cent however it shows how wrong one can be LOL.

150 Miles racing every week does not knock the stuffing out of your National candidates nor your Yearlings where they can be jumped 150 miles into 300 miles fresh and fit. Injured birds can be brought back to race fitness instead of being 300 mile behind in a race programme that has been unchanged in 150 years..

150 miles every week tells ye nowt much about untested blood....and without blood sending to 300 miles unprepared is as big a lottery as say........breeding 40 late breeds lol

We only bred 2 late breds this year 1 off the cock we bought at Gareth Rankins sale and the other off the hen we won Billiericay with and i through both of them oot the door when we were pairing our doos last week to join the bombers on open loft

Percentage of good yins Jim? Is it viable to have a team full 9 months after their birth and expect results? Am saying no chance

I Know exactly what you mean Steve but I still believe in what I'm doing the only difference between them is experience thats it, with distance birds they usually wont show themselves till they are probably

3y old and go to the distance they were bred for. its a game of patience but as I said before L/BS are invaluable for stock. Anyway off to se a friend I'm sure I will be educated a bit more tonight

that's if I can remember any thing tomoro morning, nice to speak to you Steve.

Edited by Jim hannah

I Know exactly what you mean Steve but I still believe in what I'm doing the only difference between them is experience thats it, with distance birds they usually wont show themselves till they are probably

3y old and go to the distance they were bred for. its a game of patience but as I said before L/BS are invaluable for stock. Anyway off to se a friend I'm sure I will be educated a bit more tonight

Yere no drinking wi mad Bill the night ur ye??? lol

Have a nice night lol......I can only speak from experience and for me the rewards don't merit the work. 100% stock

More races midweek could be a good thing, as

Someone said earlier its good for birds catching up that have missed the first 2/3 races. Also for birds which have been previously injured.

Some might say good training for National birds, but whatever way you look at it surely its a way of your fed possibly making some money.

As regards the 150ml training for late breds i personaly think its a good thing as i like a few in the race team but i stress from your best birds.

I wouldnt stop at 150mls though. I like a bit further out of them say somewhere between 260- 400 have even timed some in from over the channel still carrying about 6 nest flights, so theres no need to be too soft on them, at least i donk think so. :)

i like some late breds as they are of your best racers in national racing that year, best time of the year to rear. had some good racers with these late breds as yearlings at the coast and carried on to win at the channel 500ml plus. in my loft

dkj, are these latebreds treated the same as your raced young birds, in that, they are not tossed ?