Natural

peter pandy

With nearly One Thousand views since giving my evolution theory and not One contradictory reply I must have struck a chord with the Basic Members. If that is the case then as I stated the lack of feathers covering the keel must have a larger part in losses whether Young or Old than we give credit for and it should be rectified with a severe Winter blowing through the loft windows which have been converted to netting.

Before writing on this subject I made the following observation in my own set up.. I have a 12 X 4 stock loft which has 2 windows which are open 24hrs a day with entry into a 5ft wide aviary running the length of the loft and facing West, subjecting the inmates to all the elements.. Now they all have a good covering of Keel feathers.

The race loft faces South West and has a Veranda with netting and Polycarbonate windows which are closed at night and any inclement weather forecasted keeping the inmates dry and cosy, The majority of birds have a poor covering of Keel feathers but the best racers have a good covering over the breast and perhaps is the reason they have made it home.

The future has already been attended to with new netting "smaller mesh" and the windows in lock down which will only be closed when there is a storm warning, Heaters have been removed and extra ventilation applied.. Wee Mary is busy knitting winter woolies and thermal wear has been made ready for application,, Am shivering at the thought already and hope it's a mild couple of months. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave you have the coldest loft I have ever been in although it was a Wintry day and memory reminds me your birds had a thick covering over the Keel.

By the way the best of luck the morra although you wont need it,,

Wait till you get tae my age. LOL.

Same age as you pete and still got shorts and short sleeved T shirt on and I am in Sunny Aberdeen :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I will check your theory tomorrow as my loft is wide open to the elements 24 / 7

Same age as you pete and still got shorts and short sleeved T shirt on and I am in Sunny Aberdeen :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I will check your theory tomorrow as my loft is wide open to the elements 24 / 7

Well excuse me Ian !!! You are still a pup at 69 and I grew out of shorts when I was 14 LOL.. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

With nearly One Thousand views since giving my evolution theory and not One contradictory reply I must have struck a chord with the Basic Members. If that is the case then as I stated the lack of feathers covering the keel must have a larger part in losses whether Young or Old than we give credit for and it should be rectified with a severe Winter blowing through the loft windows which have been converted to netting.

Before writing on this subject I made the following observation in my own set up.. I have a 12 X 4 stock loft which has 2 windows which are open 24hrs a day with entry into a 5ft wide aviary running the length of the loft and facing West, subjecting the inmates to all the elements.. Now they all have a good covering of Keel feathers.

The race loft faces South West and has a Veranda with netting and Polycarbonate windows which are closed at night and any inclement weather forecasted keeping the inmates dry and cosy, The majority of birds have a poor covering of Keel feathers but the best racers have a good covering over the breast and perhaps is the reason they have made it home.

The future has already been attended to with new netting "smaller mesh" and the windows in lock down which will only be closed when there is a storm warning, Heaters have been removed and extra ventilation applied.. Wee Mary is busy knitting winter woolies and thermal wear has been made ready for application,, Am shivering at the thought already and hope it's a mild couple of months. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Maybe you should put your stock birds on the road until evolution kicks in with the racers. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Maybe you should put your stock birds on the road until evolution kicks in with the racers. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

C'mon William we are all looking for answers as to why losses are so great not only with young birds, but overall, I am only forwarding a theory which I am convinced that only you, "as an individual" can answer by going through what you have left in your loft.. All the input can help every fancier in the future..

As regards my stock birds ?? If you had spent thousands of ££,£££ on purchases, Would you try to break them ?.. A stupid question off course..But one which I will take on board "NOT",, For those who have sent to the National I hope you are successfull.. Yet ultimately what a waste of good birds West off the Lothians.

C'mon William we are all looking for answers as to why losses are so great not only with young birds, but overall, I am only forwarding a theory which I am convinced that only you, "as an individual" can answer by going through what you have left in your loft.. All the input can help every fancier in the future..

As regards my stock birds ?? If you had spent thousands of ££,£££ on purchases, Would you try to break them ?.. A stupid question off course..But one which I will take on board "NOT",, For those who have sent to the National I hope you are successfull.. Yet ultimately what a waste of good birds West off the Lothians.

Only one thing causing the erratic racing and losses Peter and everybody in the sport knows that.

Going back to yer earlier post Peter, when no body had stock birds and and they all had cold lofts. Why have you chosen only one of these to try as yer remedy?

In an even earlier post you quoted Sir Robert Cormack.You're bound to know how he felt about prisoner stock also and his feelings on how the birds and those from them quickly deteriorate?

Put yer money where your mouth is and take billy99's advice? :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Lewis, thank's for reminding me of earlier posts and I can reveal all is in hand.

My Brother was one of them "Down the Street" and has decided to take up the challenge of racing to his own loft in Tamfourhill, So all the Stock birds will be going there, and my Stock Loft will be converted back into a Young bird Loft and feed store as soon as they are gone.

Lewis, thank's for reminding me of earlier posts and I can reveal all is in hand.

My Brother was one of them "Down the Street" and has decided to take up the challenge of racing to his own loft in Tamfourhill, So all the Stock birds will be going there, and my Stock Loft will be converted back into a Young bird Loft and feed store as soon as they are gone.

Av got loads of stock that's never seen the light of day

Going back to yer earlier post Peter, when no body had stock birds and and they all had cold lofts. Why have you chosen only one of these to try as yer remedy?

In an even earlier post you quoted Sir Robert Cormack.You're bound to know how he felt about prisoner stock also and his feelings on how the birds and those from them quickly deteriorate?

Put yer money where your mouth is and take billy99's advice? :emoticon-0136-giggle:

How long have you and billy99' been flying stock birds oot ? Do you guys pair yer racers and take young from them?

My good hen Peggy was never out the loft after she was 2 year old as we moved to a new house. I wasn't going to chance losing her when trying to break her. It never stopped her breeding quality ybs.

Ave bred countless winners frae birds that haven't seen the outside !!! Winner to winner???? Maybe naw

Me too, I suppose the ideal scenario is to get everything out flying but needs must at times.

No for me Derek. ....I like the fact the stick can be pushed into the aviary and cleaned out...nae risk of losing or leaving nests. It's just much easier

expletive remove Steven pull yir neck back in :emoticon-0136-giggle: . I'm definitely going to try the old yins theory this winter . I'm going to sleep outside all winter and hopefully my hair will grow back :emoticon-0136-giggle:

expletive remove Steven pull yir neck back in :emoticon-0136-giggle: . I'm definitely going to try the old yins theory this winter . I'm going to sleep outside all winter and hopefully my hair will grow back :emoticon-0136-giggle:

:emoticon-0136-giggle:

Haha......yer neck will be frozen William lol

. :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

Don't know if it is just my thinking Steven . But I think your old pal is getting a bit confused with pigeons being cold and pigeons in perfect condition/ loft / heat / and health will always have a good steady fall of down.

Stock pigeons imho will eat $hite and .*expletive removed* all day but will never be in top condition.

. :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

Don't know if it is just my thinking Steven . But I think your old pal is getting a bit confused with pigeons being cold and pigeons in perfect condition/ loft / heat / and health will always have a good steady fall of down.

Stock pigeons imho will eat $hite and .*expletive removed* all day but will never be in top condition.

Stock birds just eat and feed ybs......mine only do any work from January to March the rest of the time they are on perches taking the p*ss....

I don't give their condition a second thought outside the given months....

Sweating pigeons! That's what yer after